Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:36 pm

A lot of the lookies were legalised after been here x amount of years.

Media prob just not reporting on boat crossings etc. They pick and chose what they report depending on how slow a news day it is. Half the time you would think the civil wars in syria or yemen were over until theres not much else going on so they then go back to it.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Big arguments of forums locally: The N332 police Facebook page has posted today that the law says you must only use the supermarket nearest to you. I have, with respect, asked them to quote the law that says this. They have not replied (yet) but there has been an eruption of steam-from-the-ears comments from people saying of course it is the law...how dare anyone drive further than next door...you are trying to kill us all if you go to Iceland..
Sheesh! Can any of the learned folk on here find the relevant law - that is, a law signed into Spanish laws, not the opinion of some funcionario?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Peterolaracer, here in sensible Extremadura, it depends on WHAT you are buying. The local shops sell most things here but not everything. Yesterday I had to do a trip to Carrefour 22km away for vital pet supplies — because pets are a phycological help to humans at times like these, etc, etc. I've also made a trip to the vet with the dog and the Guardia patrol car passed me with the dog (70kg and looking out the rear window) and never bothered to stop me. Why would they? Dog in car = vet.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:34 pm

I can only get the cat food I need from Mercadona along with a number of other things that I always buy there. I guess the pueblo is nearest but I do not want to live on a diet of tinned fish and Bimbo bread, so I am still alternating between Lidl and Mercadona once a week depending on what I need. The fact that I drive a further km alone in my car surely has no bearing on lockdown. As I live in the campo there are numerous routes I could take to get out onto the main road so I guess that I could just say I have come a certain way which is nearest to the shop.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:37 pm

I am concerned that the police in all its forms are using this to show how important they are, never mind what the law says. They do have a history of this well before they had the ‘justification’ of the Covid19 crisis.
They have been a miserable failure at stopping folk fleeing the cities for their second homes, yet are levying some horrendous punishments using their interpretation of what people are allowed or prohibited to do.
I have seen a “multa” of €2000 for “manifest ando que va a comprar Nocilla, existiendo supermercados mas cercanos”.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:38 pm

elusive wrote:A lot of the lookies were legalised after been here x amount of years.
Running the risk of being accused of going off-topic, I know...but surely if they were legalised they'd no longer be working as lookie men? After all, selling counterfeit goods on the beach isn't legal. I personally knew one brilliant young lad from Senegal who finally got his papers (after years of selling "Polo" shirts etc. around Torrie), and imediately found legal employment in a shop in town. But he was the exception.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:44 pm

Ive not seen anything specific, but the carer of a friend was stopped and told to shop in our village rather than drive into town.

I think if you can prove that an “essential” item is needed and only available further away, logically that should be OK. I think that because you cannot be that specific in the law, it’s down to you and the Guardia to argue about it.

I think insisting that you drive 20k to Iceland because you cannot buy English Black Pudding locally might prove a challenge!

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:52 pm

peteroldracer wrote: They have been a miserable failure at stopping folk fleeing the cities for their second homes,
Down here on the coast they have done a really good job. There were a lot of people driving down from Madrid and Granada and they had big road blocks on the motorway just south of Granada. They were also stopping all cars at the entrance to Almuñécar and sending them back. There is a country route through the mountains to Almuñécar but they had blocked that as well.

Sid

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:34 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Big arguments of forums locally: The N332 police Facebook page has posted today that the law says you must only use the supermarket nearest to you. I have, with respect, asked them to quote the law that says this. They have not replied (yet) but there has been an eruption of steam-from-the-ears comments from people saying of course it is the law...how dare anyone drive further than next door...you are trying to kill us all if you go to Iceland..
Sheesh! Can any of the learned folk on here find the relevant law - that is, a law signed into Spanish laws, not the opinion of some funcionario?
Unsure whether this point is actually "written" into law but read the following regarding N332 FB Group and the Supermarket query.

"N332 is run by volunteer Guardia officers and I have worked with them at a number of meetings with the British Consul and the British ambassador. Their purpose is to provide clarification of legal information and rules for English speaking people.
The information they post is regularly checked by senior Guardia officers. I am thankful for the information they provide which is invaluable and would like to especially thank them for this explanation which is clear and concise
".

From a personal viewpoint I cannot see the point of trying to bend the rules and visit a Supermarket further away than my nearest during this lockdown. IMO People who do deserve the fines. The whole point is to limit your exposure to contracting or spreading this virus. I always tend to tow the line especially where the Guardia are involved....only ever one winner and thats not you or I.
I So Bella tis you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:06 pm

How does driving on your own in your car for a few extra kilometres effect the "exposure to contracting or spreading this virus" ?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:15 pm

gerryh wrote:How does driving on your own in your car for a few extra kilometres effect the "exposure to contracting or spreading this virus" ?
Cheers
Gerry
Simple, if you drive from an area such as velez Malaga with No confirmed cases to an area nearby with Confirmed cases then it's more of a risk.

"The whole point of these regulations is to reduce the area of contagion of this virus. If you live in Area A which does not have any persons infected and you shop in that area you are much less likely to contract it.. If you go to a supermarket outside of zone A which has got people infected with CV19 you are at a much higher risk of contracting it.
Alternatively you could be an asymptomatic carrier and spread the disease to other areas..
The purpose of this lockdown is to protect everyone and as as Irish epidemiologist explained it. They need to get the virus off the streets!"
I So Bella tis you

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Miro wrote:
elusive wrote:A lot of the lookies were legalised after been here x amount of years.
Running the risk of being accused of going off-topic, I know...but surely if they were legalised they'd no longer be working as lookie men? After all, selling counterfeit goods on the beach isn't legal. I personally knew one brilliant young lad from Senegal who finally got his papers (after years of selling "Polo" shirts etc. around Torrie), and imediately found legal employment in a shop in town. But he was the exception.
Who knows miro. Read several articles/news pieces over the last few years and where they interviewed several of them aswell. Maybe some keep doing it because of the gangs that no doubt control alot of them. they share accomadation with other lookies "thanks" to the bosses. Not easy to find somewhere to live and set up from scratch with the cost of rents etc. Maybe they prefer the devil they know?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Friends were told to only go to lidl as its the first supermarket you come to.(3km from the village.)Mercadona and supersol is about another 500 mts further down the same road. Pedantic to say the least. Common sense and not jobs worths on a power trip is what is needed or people will start to get peeved off.

Not sure how you are only supposed to shop in a little village that has a small corner shop and not much else.the one time ive been in the local village butchers (hardly no meat) half of the old women in the village were sat there gassing! no social distancing in there.You might not get covid but you will prob get cancer from all the processed meat you will have to live off!
Last edited by elusive on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Miro wrote:
katy wrote:....would rather give it to an African.
Just made me think....I wonder what all the look-see men are doing? Don't suppose there'll be any govt. help for them, unless they're registered as refugees/assylum seekers.
Furthermore, I haven't seen any news items about migrants crossing the Med recently. Has the CV crisis stopped them trying?
I had a thought about them. Huge amount in Fuengirola, so many we stopped going to eat in Fish Alley. Migrants are still coming in on the Kent coast although not much in the national news, just local news. I also wonder what will happen to all those struggling bars too. Only Brit pensioners that are somewhat protected.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:42 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:
gerryh wrote:How does driving on your own in your car for a few extra kilometres effect the "exposure to contracting or spreading this virus" ?
Cheers
Gerry
Simple, if you drive from an area such as velez Malaga with No confirmed cases to an area nearby with Confirmed cases then it's more of a risk.

"
Yes but, if you live in an area without any confirmed coronavirus and your nearest supermarket is in an area with confirmed coronavirus and the one a further few kilometres up the road is in an area without confirmed coronavirus what are you supposed to do?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:55 pm

And does anyone trust the accuracy of any of the figures being churned out daily? Man dies at home, never had test for Covid19 - death from natural causes so jot included in figures for virus. Woman diagnosed & tested for virus, confirmed case, dies in hospital - another notch on the Covid bedpost.
Who has the whole process right anyway - the Swedes who are almost ignoring it, Boris Britain where “outdoor exercise is vital for your health”, or stay indoors Spain where people are scared to open a window?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Torrox, in the "Campo"
As I sit on my lofty perch and look around I see about eight houses, there are more further up the track. They have to pass me if going to civilisation. The cars I see daily five are Spanish non-campo residents and the three English residents )I don't see them every day. But the Spanish come and go daily. One is retired Local Police so that's ok then.
Nobody cares.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:59 pm

I might be tempted to put a skull & crossbones sign next to the track saying Covid19 Area...

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:00 pm

Cheers
Gerry
I think it's having an accident and putting further pressure on the services and hospitals. Driving miles away from home for items is more of a risk than shopping local obviously.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:03 pm

I thought Spain had a ‘State of Alarm’ rather than imposing military rule?