MOVING TO SPAIN IN 2008

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
bilbo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bilbo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Just to clear up an earlier query, can you apply for a long term rental contract with an NIE number or do you HAVE to get a Residencia ?

I will be working in Gib but planning to rent in Spain ?

Will I be able to do this on a NIE alone ?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Yes, no problem :)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:24 pm

MANDERS wrote:It is virtually the same as in the UK but, from my experience, more expensive. Mine is through the Unicaja and costs 230 Euros a month for the two of us. Anyone have any knowledge of Private Medical Cover which is reasonably priced and effective? :?:
Private medical insurance in Spain is much cheaper than the UK.

We are insured with Prevision Medica and it costs about 1200 euros a year for 2 - both over 60 with full cover.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:28 pm

dido72 wrote:We have got our NIE numbers (social security) already.
they ARE NOT the same thing. nie is applied for at the local police station and used for buying a car / house etc and as I.D if you get stopped etc., Social Security is a whole different thing, which is similar to a national insurance number in the uk - its all to do with taxes etc when you work.

do NOT confuse the two.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:31 am

Further to a point raised in this conversation, I thought this article was quite interesting with regard to the residencia, published in the Costa Blanca News.

http://www.costablanca-news.com/news/frontnorth.htm

It seems that the residencia card going the journey is not a myth after all !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:53 pm

Troglodyfae wrote: It seems that the residencia card going the journey is not a myth after all !
All that is happening is that the card is being replaced by a certificate - big deal!

The requirements to register have not changed and you still have to queue at the police station as before. In theory it will be issued on the spot.

It will need to be exchanged after 5 years for another certificate of permanent residency.

Personally I wish they had not changed it, now the certificate will no longer be an identity document so you will also have to carry other ID.

It seems to be a case of "the tarjeta is dead, long live the certificado".

Another case of EU change for changes sake.

Sid

Heston
Resident

moving

Postby Heston » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:10 pm

Sally anne

My husband and I contacted the dept of works and pensions before we left the Uk as we are both in our thirties we get two years free medical cover..an E11 only covers emergencey health car ie car accident etc but our E106 received from the works and pensions covers us for all medical. ( women can even get IVF on it!) During the two years the British government will pay any costs, then after two years you should be really in the Spanish system..which we both are now.
The process was really simple they sent us a form had to get it stamped at our local social security office in Spain return it to them and now i have a certificate covereing us.
Your mum is a pensioner dont worry she covered.

Another tip also is contact your local tax office and tell them you are leaving the country and you will get tax back..my husband and I got a nice suprise each!!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:34 pm

Heston, I would check your claims very, very thoroughly, I doubt you are covered under the Spanish system for anything other than emergencies, Beach comber will know, for sure.
Ah! the full english!!

annie_d
Resident

hya

Postby annie_d » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:19 pm

i just wondered - did you see th request from someone who wanted to come back to england simply because they had a 15 year old boy? they are asking fpr a 2 year house swap so he can do his exams in england. i just wondered. I have no agenda here. i do not have a son of that age but that is the first thing i thought when i saw your post.
annie
anyway, anyway, love from me.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 am

The problem with the E106 and the E121 is that most health centres have only seen the cheats, with their E111 now the EHIC, so do not know what to do with them or how to advise people.
If you read the E106 it says that you ahve to register for residencia then take this with the E106 to the area health HQ, where they will submit it to the relevant main centre (eg Málaga) who will check with the UK then if all genuine will issue you a Spanish health service number which you can use to register at a health centre. Phew!!
Just make sure you are not going to need medical attention during this time, or take out private cover. BTW, when they issue a E106 they know you are no longer a British resident, so will not issue a EHIC (E111), so that fiddle is not on!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:41 am

If you read the E106 it says that you ahve to register for residencia then take this with the E106 to the area health HQ, where they will submit it to the relevant main centre (eg Málaga) who will check with the UK then if all genuine will issue you a Spanish health service
Not how it worked down here. I took the form to the Health Centre in Fuengirola and all they did was stamp it, and told me to then register with the Health Clinic in La Cala.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:35 pm

Alan - maybe this should be the "thing I hate most..." - the fact that every office seems to do a different thing! :? :? :? :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Heston
Resident

health

Postby Heston » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:53 pm

I have appllied for my residencia but it has not come through yet..the e106 covers you for all for two years as we both paid tax and national insurance in the uk..after two year the Uk government wont pay you should be within the Spanish system then.....which incidentally my husband and I are so are covered with that now but I still have 18months left on my E106.
I researched this throughly before leaving the Uk and spoke indepth with Newcastle..I know somepeople use the E1 11 and i even know of someone who had a baby on hers but..it will catch up with them. Anyone leaving UK who has paid in to the UK sysytem gets two years free in any other European country.....well thats what Newcastle explained to me and I have a certificate for the doctors and medical centres
x

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm

thankyou Heston. This concurs with what i researched.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:27 am

Megan wrote:When you have made the move, Sallyanne, don't forget to get your driving licences exchanged :)
My understanding of the situation is that this is no longer necessary. Your UK licence (as long as it is an EU photo type) is perfectly valid anywhere in the EU, and you do not have to change it for a locally issued one anymore. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:04 am

You are quite right Miro.

However if you read previous threads on this subject - of which there are many, (do a search on driving licence) you will see that it is not as simple as it first appears due to differences between periods of validity and the need for medicals.

You may well decide to exchange your licence just to avoid all the potential hassle.

Sid

Heston
Resident

moving to Spain

Postby Heston » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Hi i raised this issue the other week re driving licenses and everyone advised me to change , different lawyers, different Guardia etc.. but my friend drviing a Spanish car with residencia got fined 400euros for not having a Spanish license...so I took the advice from the good people on this forumn and i am changing mine

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:15 pm

Interesting info. I am new to this forum and haven't followed earlier threads, so sorry if I repeated previous discussions. I have a Spanish licence which is due for renewal this year, and had half wondered whether to see if I could get my UK one back instead. At the risk of sounding a bigot, I'm kind of proud to have obtained my original licence in a country with some kind of driving standards. Think I'll renew my Spanish one however after reading this.
Cheers.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:28 pm

How do you get a Spanish license? Do you have to take a test ?

I really hope not :cry: :cry: :cry:

Diana

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:32 pm

Has any Spaniard taken a test? Seen no evidence so far.
You have to turn your UK licence in to DVLA and request some certificate or other I think to say you are moving abroad, and with that you can apply for a Spanish licence from Trafico. Can't remember exactly.
No test though, other than a perfunctory medical. If you can read this, you've passed already.