Alhaurin El Grande

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Alhaurin El Grande

Postby bbobandannie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:47 am

In my search for places to visit whilst deciding which village to rent in, I am seeing a decent amount of property in Alhaurin El Grande. However, looking through various ex pats forums I am getting decidedly mixed opinions. Going back 2 years ago it seems there was a real problem with crime and even violenc e between Brits and Gipsies. Is this still an issue? Anyone with similar experiences or anyone wanting to champion the town???

crayfishx
Tourist

Re: Alhaurin El Grande

Postby crayfishx » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:55 pm

I can't speak for others experiences but I lived in Alhaurin El Grande in 2013 and 2014 and I didn't experience any of the bad things that I've heard talked about. I guess it could depend on where abouts you are, I was renting a villa quite close to town in the La Chicharra urbanisation (near La Paca) and never had any problems with burglary (although it was a pretty secure villa). We got on very well with our spanish neighbours and the area was friendly, everyone greeting you on the path in the morning...etc

As for violence, not once - in fact I felt very safe, often visited spanish bars and restaurants and always had a good rapour with the locals. I've heard (from the locals) a few stories about altercations between the spanish and english but they all seemed to include loutish, yobbish and drunken behaviour from the english - which is fiercely frowned on.

I think maybe speaking spanish is a good bonus in Alhaurin El Grande, I've often spoke to spanish who seem perplexed at the amount of british who live there for 20 years and don't speak a word of spanish, maybe thats a of a lot of peoples problems.

As for the town, it's a nice place, plenty of bars and restaurants, the night life in the summer is good (assuming you are not the clubbing type) and there is quite a friendly community feel both with the english and spanish alike.

We moved to Alhaurin de la Torre recently for practical reasons, but my experience living in El Grande was always a pleasant one.

Again, others experiences may have been very different, Im just recounting my own. If you are unsure maybe get a short term let somewhere cheap at first and spend a month or two there to make sure you want to commit to a year long tenancy or search for somewhere else.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:43 pm

There used to be lots of punch ups on Fridays and Saturday nights but I have heard all the riff raff have left.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

I crossed the road (Gerald Brenan) on Saturday night to avoid walking through one of those "WOTCHOOLOOKINGAT?", finger jabbing snarly altercations between a group of British cretins. I rate the town very highly for catering options, but there is some weird connection with thuggery there. The local political situation would also be hilarious if it weren't so serious : after years of thieving and bribery at a local level, the AeG PP has resigned en masse because they don't want to be associated with the thieving and bribery of the national party.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Let's not forget the Brit and Irish drug dealers !

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Quite a mixed response though Crayfish´s positive take on things give some hope. I will take a drive over when I´m in the area next month, just to get a feel for the town. I guess an initial short term could make more sense. Thanks to veryone for the advice.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:37 pm

... all towns have that if you look in the right places at the right time... Its not just AeG. :silent:

your best bet is a short term rental, spend time in the town at night, see what you think for yourself - peoples opinions of places will always differ, even if they are in the same room... :crazy: :crazy:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.