Getting Residency

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting Residency

Postby costakid » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:40 pm

this seems to have gone a bit off topic now.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:57 pm

It’s back on topic as far as I am concerned now that the Rajoy posts have stopped.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:11 am

your the boss Cid!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:02 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Or caught by the Modelo 179 that came in today......the net is closing, bit by bit.
“THE SPANISH tax office has tightened its grip on unregistered holiday accommodation rentals.
All holiday letting websites -must fill in the new ‘Modelo 179’ information form. The order regulating the new form is focused mainly on websites, but it points out that all companies and individuals intermediating in the holiday letting activity must submit the information.
The form came into force yesterday (Thursday, May 31), although the websites and intermediaries have been given until January 31, 2019 to provide all the information concerning January to December 2018.”
Hadn’t heard of that modelo. AFAICS there is minimal compliance with the new rental laws, but I guess things will change when a few people get fined. Doesn’t seem to be happening here yet! AIUI holiday renting in Mallorca is noe forbidden, but homeaway has nearly 15,000 properties advertised...

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:39 pm

That will be something else for the illegals to ignore, no doubt!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Some towns are taking it seriously.

http://www.theseasidegazette.com/2018/0 ... mmodation/

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Good luck to him - while too many politicians continue to think that rules do not apply to them the general lack of respect for laws will not change - the "why should I" and "just look at him" reactions will continue.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:46 pm

ashtondav wrote:
peteroldracer wrote:Or caught by the Modelo 179 that came in today......the net is closing, bit by bit.
“THE SPANISH tax office has tightened its grip on unregistered holiday accommodation rentals.
All holiday letting websites -must fill in the new ‘Modelo 179’ information form. The order regulating the new form is focused mainly on websites, but it points out that all companies and individuals intermediating in the holiday letting activity must submit the information.
The form came into force yesterday (Thursday, May 31), although the websites and intermediaries have been given until January 31, 2019 to provide all the information concerning January to December 2018.”
Hadn’t heard of that modelo. AFAICS there is minimal compliance with the new rental laws, but I guess things will change when a few people get fined. Doesn’t seem to be happening here yet! AIUI holiday renting in Mallorca is noe forbidden, but homeaway has nearly 15,000 properties advertised...
Another point to consider, The authorities will very soon start clamping down severely on airbnb !!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:32 am

Curious to know what others make of this:
When I went to renew my second residency card (after 10 years residence) in 2007, the replacement green paper "EU registration" I was given stated "residente permanente" - I didn't have to request this, it appears to have been automatic due to the length of residency.
A friend of mine (British) has been resident in Spain since 2003. When he renewed his original residency card after 5 years, he was issued with the green EU registration paper. It did not state that he had "residente permanente" status though. He decided recently to renew this registration in order to get the "permanente" status - a "just in case" thing because he's nervous about Brexit. I was surprised to hear, however, that he was required to produce a certificate from his bank, and also proof of his income (which incidentally, is mainly Spanish pension). He was not asked to prove he had medical cover.
Is this just a case of funcionarios being ignorant and/or bloody minded? Surely he shouldn't have to provide any financial details simply to renew his registration?
He got his "permanente" green card - which rather strangely also stated he has been a resident since 2008, not 2003.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:05 am

Miro wrote: Is this just a case of funcionarios being ignorant and/or bloody minded? Surely he shouldn't have to provide any financial details simply to renew his registration?
Almost certainly.

The law clearly says that the right of permanent residency is not subject to the normal conditions that apply when you initially apply.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Agree with cid. Read of many cases where they want you to prove everything again. Even for things like changing an address

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:12 pm

As I thought. It does rather beg the question, what hoops may residents have to jump through after Brexit? If EU residents in the UK are required to register their "settled status", is it reasonable to assume that Spain will do likewise - and existing permanent resident status will have to be re-applied for? Will British citizens be required to obtain ID cards again? And what requirements will ignorant / bloody minded funcionarios invent? I imagine for most it will just be an inconvenience - but for some living in a grey area between resident / non-resident, it could present problems.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Agree miro - it might come to “make your mind up” time. Perhaps too many people have wanted to have their tortilla and eat it!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:40 pm

We've been resident for over 5 years and because of Brexit have been thinking of going to the police station again in Torre del Mar to make our status permanent. We had a very helpful official at the police station back in 2013 and she got round our financial position by merely asking us to get a copia simple to prove our property was debt free. So, even though we shouldn't have to jump through too many hoops, we might be faced with someone 'awkward' and asked to provide more info..... that's putting me off applying. Maybe we should just carry on as we are?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:32 am

Permanent residence is a "given" after 5 years, there is no requirement to apply for it. The fact that your existing certificate is dated more than 5 years ago is proof enough. I understand your reason for wanting to see it in writing, but you are right that you may be rocking the boat to specifically ask for it.

The EU directive is quite clear about retention of the right of permanent residency and states:-

Once acquired, the right of permanent residence shall be lost only through absence from the host
Member State for a period exceeding two consecutive years.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:04 am

IreneD wrote:We've been resident for over 5 years and because of Brexit have been thinking of going to the police station again in Torre del Mar to make our status permanent. We had a very helpful official at the police station back in 2013 and she got round our financial position by merely asking us to get a copia simple to prove our property was debt free. So, even though we shouldn't have to jump through too many hoops, we might be faced with someone 'awkward' and asked to provide more info..... that's putting me off applying. Maybe we should just carry on as we are?
Irene, we made our status permanent at the Comisaria de Policia in Torre del Mar in late 2014, plus we have made changes to our resident certificates on two more occasions there (to reflect new passports being issued and a change of address). On none of these occasions were we asked to provide any proof of income nor health cover, all that was required was for us to hand back the original certificate with completed EX18 forms, show our passports and provide a copy of them, and the Modelo 790 stamped by the bank to prove we had paid the fee.

I believe it is now compulsory to make an appointment online, rather than turning up early, getting a number and waiting.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:55 pm

Was just going to ask if you need to refile when you get a new passport? as its a new number. After the B word if you passport num doesnt reflect the one on the system for your residencia could you have trouble getting back in? Sending off for a new p.port after xmas. Total nightmare doing the digital photo but thats for another thread! Also for change of a address does the new padron need to be less than three months or are they not fussed

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Our registration certificates do not have our passport numbers on; neither does the new card my friend has just been given, so I see no reason to "renew" your registration just because you have a new passport. We never did.
As for the padrón question, like everything else, it probably depends - on who you get on the day, what mood they're in etc. We've been in Hacienda in Málaga and been told we need to present a "historic" padrón certificate at another counter, and since we didn't have one, just tried our luck with the ordinary one we did have - which was accepted without a glance. But in general, I would say that you need a certificate less than three months old - just in case!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:15 pm

elusive wrote:Was just going to ask if you need to refile when you get a new passport? as its a new number. After the B word if you passport num doesnt reflect the one on the system for your residencia could you have trouble getting back in? Sending off for a new p.port after xmas. Total nightmare doing the digital photo but thats for another thread! Also for change of a address does the new padron need to be less than three months or are they not fussed
As there is a box to tick on the EX18 form for "cambio de documento de identidad" I felt that as our passport numbers and photographs would be different to the ones they originally had on file (although the numbers are not shown on the resident certificate) it would be best to update our registration. When we advised them of our change of address we did take the new padron certificate, but were not asked for it. Might be best to have one just in case, though.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks all