Advice please on buying an apartment in Caleta de Velez

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
MartiD
Tourist

Advice please on buying an apartment in Caleta de Velez

Postby MartiD » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:57 am

Hello
Myself and my hubbie are in our late 50s and considering buying an apt we have seen in Caleta. We have looked at a lot of properties in the last 12 months in Roquetas and Torrox Pueblo but feel that Caleta ticks a lot of boxes.

We are just trying to ensure we are not missing anything before making an offer. The estate agent doesnt hv a key for the apt which we thought was odd but they said that is quite normal..so we have had to be let in to the property by a friend of owner as they live overseas.. I know its a small thing but is that usual practice?

Is Caleta a nice place to live and spend the winter? Initially we would just be staying for hols but when we retire in a few years we would hope to spend longer incl winter there.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer in Caleta or nearby and is the process fairly straight forward?

Many thanks in advance for your advice. Its much appreciated.

Kind regards

Martina

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Advice please on buying an apartment in Caleta de Velez

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:36 am

Martina,
Welcome to the forum and ' Top of the Mornin to Yer '...

With regard to the agent not having a key for this apartment is not unusual in my experience, I have also refused to give keys to agents in the past ( not just in Spain ).The friend is probably keeping an eye on the property and in the future could be a useful friend to you as well, is it sold furnished ?
With regard to recommendations for a lawyer I don't know any in the area, but may I impress that it is important Not to use a lawyer recommended by the agent, personally I would look around the area and call into several and ask for prices.
And of course for most purchases you could use a Gestoria, much cheaper but as good, in my opinion.

Anyway Good Luck with your proposed move.

Regards,
Gordon

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Martina,
Along with other Members of this site we have used ....................a lawyer close by in Velez Malaga

https://gfmendez.com/

As for the key some apartments have a Security Type key so probably only one available.

Added::
If buying as joint owners make sure you're both registered with AEAT as next year you will need to submit Form 210 as non-residents.
Both get a Digital Signature as this will enable you to keep track of your payments at AEAT and even submit Form 210 should you not get out .
Last edited by Enrique on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:01 am

Friend holding key is not unusual. You will find a lawyer in Torre del Mar but never use anyone who the agent suggests as previously said. Caleta is a nice area in winter and summer. Torre del Mar next door has everything you need for day to day living.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:04 pm

As others have suggested, do not use an aboga (solicitor) but a gestoria who tend to do a better job and are a lot cheaper. A number of friends live in Caleta and like it a lot. It's growing now with more shops and a lot of new apartments being built. Very handy for all the services that Torre del Mar offers but a quieter area.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Recommend Jose-Manuel [email protected]. In Velez-Malaga. Good English, dealt with our sale efficiently.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:00 pm

As others have said, there is nothing sinister about friends of the owners holding the keys. We have done this for a number of friends over the years, including letting estate agents have access to conduct viewings when the properties were for sale. Our friends preferred us to hold the keys rather than letting the agents have them because agents can sometimes be careless about things like making sure lights are turned out and blinds closed when they leave, or locking up properly. Plus we would always get there well ahead of time to make sure the property was dust free, outside areas swept clean, etc. before viewings-

Another recommendation for a lawyer to add to the mix - Paloma Conde Cabello of Gestoria Cabello Gonzalez, Av. de Andalucia 127, Torre del Mar (that's the main street which runs through Torre del Mar). She speaks fluent English and is very efficient, and responds to queries by email promptly. She handled the purchase of our apartment in 2017 and everything was completedwithin a week. It can be that fast provided there are no issues with the property and the vendor has all the required documentation including the energy certificate and, in the case of an apartment or property within an urbanisation, the certificate from the community administrators confirming that the community fees are paid up to date.

https://www.abogadosdemalaga.es/abogado ... dlxiZNKi00

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:01 pm

Its a lovely place, you lucky people. The market is great, and the port area is lovely now they have rebuilt it.

You'll enjoy your time there immensly. We wouod move there in a minute given half a chance. It would be worth the 40 minute drive to work every day

*super jealous* :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

MartiD
Tourist

Postby MartiD » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:54 pm

costakid wrote:Friend holding key is not unusual. You will find a lawyer in Torre del Mar but never use anyone who the agent suggests as previously said. Caleta is a nice area in winter and summer. Torre del Mar next door has everything you need for day to day living.
Hi Costa Kid thank you for your reply and for heloful info on Caleta and Torre del Mar. Hope I am replying correctly to messages havent quite got the hang if the site yet.

Kind regards

Martina

MartiD
Tourist

Postby MartiD » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:57 pm

spanish_lad wrote:Its a lovely place, you lucky people. The market is great, and the port area is lovely now they have rebuilt it.

You'll enjoy your time there immensly. We wouod move there in a minute given half a chance. It would be worth the 40 minute drive to work every day

*super jealous* :)
Hi Spanish Lad many thanks. It does seem lovely so fingers crossed we find a place. The port is gorgeous..love the boats coming in with their catch in the evenings.

All the best
Martina

MartiD
Tourist

Postby MartiD » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:02 am

Free at Last wrote:As others have said, there is nothing sinister about friends of the owners holding the keys. We have done this for a number of friends over the years, including letting estate agents have access to conduct viewings when the properties were for sale. Our friends preferred us to hold the keys rather than letting the agents have them because agents can sometimes be careless about things like making sure lights are turned out and blinds closed when they leave, or locking up properly. Plus we would always get there well ahead of time to make sure the property was dust free, outside areas swept clean, etc. before viewings-

Another recommendation for a lawyer to add to the mix - Paloma Conde Cabello of Gestoria Cabello Gonzalez, Av. de Andalucia 127, Torre del Mar (that's the main street which runs through Torre del Mar). She speaks fluent English and is very efficient, and responds to queries by email promptly. She handled the purchase of our apartment in 2017 and everything was completedwithin a week. It can be that fast provided there are no issues with the property and the vendor has all the required documentation including the energy certificate and, in the case of an apartment or property within an urbanisation, the certificate from the community administrators confirming that the community fees are paid up to date.

https://www.abogadosdemalaga.es/abogado ... dlxiZNKi00
Hi Free at last

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my query with really helpful information its much appreciated it. We will follow up on your recommendations.

Kind regards

Martina

MartiD
Tourist

Postby MartiD » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 am

peteroldracer wrote:Recommend Jose-Manuel [email protected]. In Velez-Malaga. Good English, dealt with our sale efficiently.
Hi Peteroldracer

Many thanks for your reply snd recommendation which we will follow up.

Kind regards

Martina

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 am

MartiD wrote:
costakid wrote:Friend holding key is not unusual. You will find a lawyer in Torre del Mar but never use anyone who the agent suggests as previously said. Caleta is a nice area in winter and summer. Torre del Mar next door has everything you need for day to day living.
Hi Costa Kid thank you for your reply and for heloful info on Caleta and Torre del Mar. Hope I am replying correctly to messages havent quite got the hang if the site yet.

Kind regards

Martina
your doing fine.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:25 am

peteroldracer wrote:Recommend Jose-Manuel [email protected]. In Velez-Malaga. Good English, dealt with our sale efficiently.
We also used Jose Manuel when we bought our house here. Very good lawyer and also unusually for a lawyer, a very nice guy.

MartiD
Tourist

Postby MartiD » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied to my query. Not sure I replied correctly to everyone as its my first time but I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help us and for advice on solicitors. We decided not to go with the North facing property we were lookkng at in the end as we would orefer one facing south. We are returning in Jan and continuing our search in Caleta.
Thanks again to everyone.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Might be worth also looking in Torre del Mar.

MartiD
Tourist

Postby MartiD » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:42 pm

Tks Gerrynag we will do that as we will have a car this time and it would be good to compare.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:45 am

MartiD wrote:. We decided not to go with the North facing property we were lookkng at in the end as we would orefer one facing south.
That was a very wise move. You need the sun here in the winter as the properties can be very cold indoors.

MartiD
Tourist

Postby MartiD » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:12 am

Enrique wrote:Hi Martina,
Along with other Members of this site we have used ....................a lawyer close by in Velez Malaga

https://gfmendez.com/

As for the key some apartments have a Security Type key so probably only one available.

Added::
If buying as joint owners make sure you're both registered with AEAT as next year you will need to submit Form 210 as non-residents.
Both get a Digital Signature as this will enable you to keep track of your payments at AEAT and even submit Form 210 should you not get out .
Hi Enrique

Thank you for the lawyer recommendation thats heloful. We definitely need to be aware of all the paperwork involved also snd our responsibilities legally as non residents so thank you for your advice the digital signature is a a good idea..