Cost of Electricity for a Swimming Pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cost of Electricity for a Swimming Pool

Postby Dunflittin68 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:04 pm

We are joining my daughter and partner in Spain to live together in a large villa which we are moving into with a swimming pool. Although we are sharing the rent we decided we would pay extra for the pool as my daughter and her partner don't use the pool, so to be fair we said we would split the cost of the electricity bill to include the extra costs of running the pool.

Anyone any idea how much it costs to run a typical medium sized pool, say 9 x 5mtrs, using the pump running for 2 hrs x 3 times a day ? We would obviously cover the additional cost of tablets and maintenance separately ourselves.

TIA

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cost of Electricity for a Swimming Pool

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:18 pm

It will depend on the size of the pump. If it is a 1kw pump 6 hours will cost you about €1/day. If the pump is a different rating, just pro-rate the cost.

If you were on a dual tariff, where you pay less off peak, then that would reduce the cost.

Sid

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks Sid, that's useful to know, I will make a note.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:33 pm

This winter I have experimented with turning the filter off completely and just using a floating chlorine dispenser. The water has remained totally clear and the Endesa bill was quite a lot lower than last year's.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:40 pm

Obviously, running the pump for shorter periods will save money, but how long you should run the pump is a subject of much debate.

In summer I only run for a maximum of 2 hours a day and that is in the morning off peak period. The usual recommendations to run for 8 hours a day apply to public pools with all day usage. For a private pool, used for maybe half an hour a day, that is totally unnecessary. The filter does nothing to improve the number of microbes in the pool, it merely removes small particles. It's the chemicals that make to pool safe to use.

In the winter I run for only 15 minutes a day, and that is just to stir up the water a bit. Yes, a floating dispenser is fine in winter as the chlorine lasts a very long time due to the lower temperature and less strong sunlight.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Having recently moved into my own place, with a pool :shock: im also finding these things out.

Its winter. the pool works as it should, but it leaks a bit.

it was on a timer for 3 x 3 hours per day. Its only a 4 x 6 converted deposito.. i reduced that to 3 x 15 minutes and its crystal clear.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

bonus is that the electricity bill is reduced by LOTS :clap: :clap:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.