Buying an old house without basic services

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
alexandlino

Buying an old house without basic services

Postby alexandlino » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi, we are considering buying an old house in the countryside near Albunol. The house is in generally good condition, but it would need connecting to the electricity (there is a supply within a few metres of the house), a completely new septic tank, wiring, plumbing and the installation of kitchen and bathrooms. I wondered if any of the users here had experience of this kind of project, and of how much I might need to budget- particularly for the electric connection and the septic tank (there is already a mains water supply).

fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Buying an old house without basic services

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Bit difficult to say as you dont give the size of the house. However, a septic tank would cost around 5k - 6k. Just to supply and connect an electric meter will be around 1k, this excludes the necessary wiring from the nearest supply box to the house.
I would suggest you get a local builder to take a look, they will give you an approximate cost for the work.
In my experience, whatever quote you get, add another 10% for unforseen extras.
Hardworking resident !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Make sure that it is totally legal and also talk to your local town hall about your plans for it. You will almost certainly need a building licence and possibly an architect to sort it all out for you.

This sort of purchase can prove to be an absolute minefield.

A previous thread about illegal houses here viewtopic.php?t=12413

Sid

alexandlino

Postby alexandlino » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks finca and cid. I did think that it might be a bit of a money pit, which would explain why the current owners have left it in its current condition- the outside is completely fine and has been recently painted, but the interior is just as it would have been eighty or so years ago. The house is about 350 sqm in all, but a lot of that is not part of the dwelling, which is currently about five modest size rooms. In time I would want to convert the other parts into accommodation but that wouldn't be a priority.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:25 pm

You might encounter a lot of inertia to overcome trying to get outbuildings, animal sheds classified as dwellings.

You are right about money pit. Even doing the work yourself.

In our area, the Spanish have migrated to marble palaces in towns or villages where they have all services, shops and decent internet. They are however proud of their rural piles and keep them for secure storage of equipment and somewhere for weekend family gatherings. The owner might occasionally have a siesta there too in a grubby room on a basic bed frame.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:02 am

Regarding extending the house in any way or getting a change of use is liable to meet a brick wall when it comes to getting a building licence. Basically, in most areas and particularly in Andalucia building anything or extending anything in the Campo is almost impossible and has been for nearly 20 years.

Unless you thrive on agro my advice would be to walk away from it and buy a modern, legal house in an urban area.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 am

El Cid wrote: Basically, in most areas and particularly in Andalucia building anything or extending anything in the Campo is almost impossible and has been for nearly 20 years.
Sid
It's like the old days here with small aperos being built and gradually extending to become houses. I can remember seeing the Guardia patrolling the hills in the last boom but they just don't seem to bother around here nowadays, anything goes. However, I still wouldn't risk buying an old cortijo without services and then hoping to make it habitable.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:35 am

Such a shame these campo buildings end up going to rack and ruin, highly sought after in the Uk and worth alot of money....
If the property out buildings were to be converted into holiday lets or if you ran the property as a b&b then perhaps the Town Hall may look favourably on alterations etc due to tourism reasons...I always think there are ways around everything however i do realise this is Spain so i don't know.. just a thought...