Filling a sand pool filter

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Filling a sand pool filter

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Had to buy a new little 'monobloc' combined filter and pump for my above ground pool. The instructions, no doubt translated from Chinese, aren't very clear as to how much sand to put in. It says 19kg for a 12" filter and 27kg for a 14", but the box says it's 304cm which is somewhere between the two. I bought 25kg bag of sand and I could have got it all in but looking on Youtube it seems that you don't fill the sand right up to the top. My old filter I filled right up to the bottom of the valve but perhaps that was too much? The pressure isn't great at 2psi but not sure if the pressure gauge is that accurate, being a Chinese manufactured pump :?

It's filtering now and water is going in and out of the pool OK but I'm not sure if I've filled it with enough sand. It's a job I've been putting off doing as I hate anything to do with water pipes as they inevitably leak :roll: but I've only just refilled the pool as it's been quite chilly up to now. We'll probably only use it for 3 months before it reverts to being a water deposito :lol: