Swimming Pool Maintenance

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Swimming Pool Maintenance

Postby poshtotti » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:50 pm

Bad timing! My partner has gone to work for a month a day after we got the keys to our new house.

The house has a pool & I'm left to maintain it :roll:
Any one give me any pointers please? - I've cleaned the filter out!
The water is a little cloudy.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:59 pm

Firstly, take a look at this web site then ask again if there is anything you do not understand.

If the pool is cloudy it is probably lacking chlorine or sufficient filtration. Depending on its size it needs a shock dose of chlorine to get it going and the pH will need to be adjusted probably with pH minus.. Don't, whatever you do, swim in it until you have got it in some kind of order.

boxcart
Tourist

Pool maintenance

Postby boxcart » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:50 pm

I have been using the company who maintain our pool for years and they are great they do ours for 90€ a month. If you would like them to do it their number is 952818939

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:24 pm

boxcart-what area do they cover.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:07 pm

Thank you both. The website was very useful & explained the source of of my problems. I did the necessary tests & it seems that no salt & no chlorine are present!!! :roll:

I've contacted the company you recommended Boxcart & they are coming today, thank you.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:47 am

boxcart
Tourist

Postby boxcart » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:35 pm

not sure what area im in nueva andalucia but i think they do east marbella to sotogrande best to ask them yourself

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:24 pm

Anyone got any good ideas of keeping pool temp up as we move into late summer, apart from actual heating oil or electricity. Would a pool cover work ? Where i am I am beginning to get the wide temperature ranges 30 ~ 13 so not really after a permanant pool cover as the sun will make it crack in high summer when temp is 40 +. Would something cheap like bubble rap work only for the evenings in September as a guess..?? I do run the filtration throughout the year by the way.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:04 am

A very large roll of the industrial bubble-wrap would probably do very well. Leave it on overnight and for as much of the day as possible, only rolling it up when you want to take a dip.
Slainte,
JohnP.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:07 am

In theory, bubblewrap would work but the problem would be that if the wind picked up in the night, which it often does, you would wake up to see it all at one end of the pool or possibly your neighbour's house neatly bubblewrapped!

I have used one of the proper thermal covers which are essentially heavy duty bubblewrap but they are much heavier and will withstand the wind. They certainly do retain the heat very effectively and as they are normally dark coloured, they also absorb a lot of heat during the day.

To get an idea of types of cover and prices have a look at this site

http://www.coverco.freeserve.co.uk/

It's a UK site so hopefully it won't get removed by admin!

Sid

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:26 am

The other problem is if it rains in the night and the pool cover gets a huge puddle in the middle of it, along with the detritus of leaves, etc. I saw a very nifty rolling mechanism once that rolled the pool cover "topside outermost" and effectively allowed the cover to be pulled from underneath the puddle.
Slainte,
JohnP.