green oranges

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
SikeandKari
Tourist

green oranges

Postby SikeandKari » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:52 am

Hello!
Spike and Kari here. We are sailors who have dropped our hook in the river Guadiana and just bought a finca south of Sanlucar on the Spanish side. The place used to produce a lot of oranges and we are trying to save some of the trees and so have a million questions with which we are sorry to have to bore you knowledgeable expert expats. The first one is that we had a lot of small green fruit on the trees in January and we sort of thought we must have missed the blossom thinking that oranges must proceed in an orderly way from blossom to little green oranges to big orange oranges. Now the blossom has come (lots and lots of it) the little green oranges are falling off. So the question is how come we saw these wee fruit in January and do we have to panic now they are falling off?

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: green oranges

Postby biribiri » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Don't panic.
I'm no expert but I do live on a street that is bordered by orange trees and every year the pavement gets covered in tiny green oranges, yet they still produce loads of fully grown ones.
Once the blossom has died off you will start to see this years fruit growing.

Incidentally here's a fact I found out on my travels around South America. Oranges only turn "orange" due to being exposed to cold weather.
In South American countries and tropical countries near the equator, oranges stay green all year around. :)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Sometimes oranges and other citrus flower in the winter but the fruit rarely sets. The exception are the Lunar Lemons which fruit on and off all year.

Trees always overproduce fruit and then drop a lot of it before they mature. If if gets much over pea sized it will probably survive.

Sid

SikeandKari
Tourist

Postby SikeandKari » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks for the help I'll let you know how it goes

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:05 am

Cultivated oranges can be , what's called triploid, that is .... they have blossom, set fruit, and ripe fruit at the same time on the tree.

Let nature have its way for a year and see what you've got.

Then set about pruning for shape, because that will shock the tree for a season ....

You could try applying some Chealto de hero now ... (chelated Iron) - they really love that !

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:09 pm

If they are neglected, as quite a few of the fincas seem to be in that area, you will probably have to do some major cutting out of old dead wood. Don't worry as like Martin says, this will help stimulate new growth. BUT be careful to try to identify which bits are the cultivated orange producing bits, rather than root stock which they have been grafted on to - you need to suppress growth below the grafting, and encourage the parts above that you want to keep. Usually the root stock suckers have smaller paler leave and bigger thorns - you will soon learn to identify the good stuff with rounder darker leaves and fewer, smaller, or even NO spikes :twisted: .
If you have any showing pale edges to the leaves, this is an indication that they need the "iron filings" treatment that Martin suggests - and if your water has a lot of calcium in it, they will be more prone to the problem. With the alkali they are unable to take up the nutriments normally in the soil, so the chelate restores the balance - can be quite spectacular to watch the improvement. :clap:

Now is the time to pick up the excess orange blossom that falls off if you want to make Orange-Water for flavourings. Don't you just love the smell of the orange blossom? :thumbup:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:29 pm

The orange tree is one of only a few that generates 3 different essential oils - Orange from the zest; neroli from the blossom; and petitgrain from the leaves - the last 2 are very fragrant :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

SikeandKari
Tourist

Postby SikeandKari » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks very much for the detailed replies. Yes the pozo water is hard and has lots of calcium in it. I have given the trees a blood product identical to sequestrene I know this majors on iron but have no idea if it is cheleated any product names for me? Ta again for the help