License to use weedkiller spray

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
curatokid
Resident

License to use weedkiller spray

Postby curatokid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:41 pm

I have just been informed by the policia local that I need to get a license to spray the weeds in my garden, is this correct ? if so where do I get one from ?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: License to use weedkiller spray

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 pm

If you want to use Roundup or similar you need a licence to buy it, though you can buy small quantities of some other chemicals.
You have not helped A.com folk to help you, as you have no location on your profile, but if you are around Velez-Málaga you should try Abonos Velez, who will tell you what you can buy. The easiest get-round is to get a Spanish neighbour with a licence to buy Roundup for you!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 pm

I think you can buy small quantities of Roundup (500ml) but any larger requires a licence and you have to go on a training course to get it.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi curatokid,
We covered this back in 2013 when the "Regulations" came in.

viewtopic.php?t=31658

The Agri store has the white forensic type suits and the face protection, I've only see the guys who stand on the back of the spray tank with these suits.

Where and how to get a License and course............can't find any info. I would ask my Mentor, but I'm away at the moment.

Try in your Town hall.

I thought we would need some paper work but local store sold 5lt Glifosato recently. Also the empty containers to be returned but you see these dumped in the campo......... :(

There is talk that Glifosato will be banned later this year, some EU countries have already done this.

So it will be back to the hoe and some arm work............. :angel:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Locally I have never failed to buy 5lt Glifosato, last time one for me and one for a neighbour, absolutly no questions asked apart from 11€ each please.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:34 am

Hi,
Update:..........Yes you do need License to spray and get it by having been on a course.
Course details are Posted on your local Centro Sociale notice board , Courses are in Spanish.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am

or get an accredited (to spray) neighbour to do your land. Less hassle and safer for you.

last year I was spraying with a 16L back pack and a couple of countryside Guardia Civil came by on their bikes. One stopped and gave me the good once over before beetling off.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I brought 5litres over from the UK. I don't spray mind you - just poison Yuccas with it - its the only thing that kills the devils!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Lyric wrote:Locally I have never failed to buy 5lt Glifosato, last time one for me and one for a neighbour, absolutly no questions asked apart from 11€ each please.
Same here, plus Roundup but not in huge quantities. We spray the weeds in the gravel and around the fruit trees a few times a year and I cannot see why we would need a licence to do that.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:18 pm

"I cannot see why we would need a licence to do that."
How long have you lived in Spain? The list of inexplicable laws and rules here is a lot longer than the list of sensible and understandable ones!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Might all seem nonsensical but i suspect similar regs apply in the UK. There are large differences between killing a few dandelions in a uk drive and spraying potentially large areas here in Spain. The accreditation doesnt just cover application but transport, storage , safety procedures and so on. Personally I believe it is a good thong. Ten years ago you could regularly see folk here spraying without masks and rubber gloves. Now most follow the rules.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:55 am

I can see the need for training and licences on a commercial scale but not in a domestic garden.

We still see people here spraying their trees without any protective clothing. Just glad they don't do it next to us as they spray up high in the air and you can see the mist drifting for quite a distance. Goodness knows what that is they are using!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:42 pm

I rest my case. :)

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Note that there often is a different strength in the agricultural pesticides from the stuff they sell at Leroy Merlin. Some pesticides are very dangerous (lethal dose is a few grams on your skin on one of the Bayer products).

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:05 pm

I was asked for a license for the first time just a week ago.
On saying I didn't have one I was presented with Roundup sachets of powder, each one good for 15l of murdering. Seems to work the same as ready made liquid. Die ya little wot nots! :twisted:

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:21 pm

I've bought Gilfosato without any problems one the last 10 years from the local olive co-operative, which manage to purchase without a licence or membership of the olive co-operative. The farmers around here use it it vast quantities spraying it from their tractor pulled jet powered 6000ltr sprayers. Our village has its own town water supply from a spring well deep down beneath the land, I've always wondered whether this chemical as well as the copper sulphate based Olive fly fertiliser gets into the water system.

terry