New here

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Maddynamite

New here

Postby Maddynamite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi!

I have recently bought a new property to retire and can't wait to move to my new place :)

I love DIY and gardening and I will be spending hours working on improving my place and setting up my garden.

I also want to it to be a great place where I can invite new friends. Does anyone here have any experience? I'd be sharing pictures and how I take care of my new garden

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: New here

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:03 pm

Welcome to the forum :wave:
Sorry my gardening experience is "concrete it all over" but there are some on here that can be more helpful.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:45 pm

welcome to the forum. Your location is set as france.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Andalucia is a very big place with many different climates.

The climate here is very different from the UK. We too are keen gardeners. Germinating seeds is difficult for us. You find baby plants for sale. Bunches of bare rooted tomato plants are a good example. My tip would be to grow what locals grow , when they grow them.

Roses do really well for us. Hope you have fun .

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:46 am

Hi and welcome.
I have a large garden and made quite a few mistakes when I arrived, by selecting plants that do not endure the summer heat well and needed copious amounts of water. Buy from local nurseries who keep the plants outside so they are already weather worn and can cope with transplanting.
Have a good look around the area and check out the council gardens and roadside planting, see what they are growing and copy them. The town hall employees in charge of planting are very knowledgeable and bring in trees in our area from the far east that thrive here. Lantanas do well here and come in many colours. If you want grass, make sure you get the gramma type which has runners like strawberry plants. Roses do well as Olive says plus succulents, Enjoy.

Maddynamite

Postby Maddynamite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:21 am

Thank you for your replies :)

It looks like a friendly community out here.

So I last got these pics sent to me (attached here)

The place looks amazingly lush, though this is a one year old picture (the former owner told me)

What I can see is that a lot of wood work needs to be done.

I like Gazebos and I have built ones myself previously. Though I don't think i'll have the energy to do it now lol

Now, I tried to look online for what is available and I'm confused. So I saw many on ebay like these, which are like those cheap plastic ones for 100 pounds and I'm not really interested in those!

I found some really good ones like these Link deleted by ADC Moderator (Rule 2-1)

I contact them, but they are in the US, so shipping costs are too high for me, it's useless.

Anyone of you know someone in Andalucia, with similar styles and quality? Would be really helpful

Of course, the garden needs a bit of clearing up for me.. I mean, I like bright, big flowers. How is the climate for those? I'm guessing it must be much much more easy than anywhere in the UK?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 pm

If you are now in France as your location indicates, you probably know Leroy Merlin, bricolage and DIY superstores - they are in Spain to, along with Bauhaus and various others. Look at what they have online and see if you find anything of interest.
For any detailed advice about the gardening side of things, we do need to know approximately where you are moving to, for altitude, probable rainfall, desert conditions, beach and salt resistence, microclimate fit for Mangos !!! Give us a clue !!
Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 pm

Maddynamite, Im quite confused! Did you actually go and see the place which you said you have bought? From your post it seems that you are judging from photos from the previous owner as to what you think needs doing...

Maddynamite

Postby Maddynamite » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Yea... Actually that is exactly what I'm doing right now.

I am judging from the pictures and trying to prepare for it.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 pm

wow.. thats quite a plunge to take.. i hope that the house & land etc is in a good place :eek:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.