Plants in pots

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Plants in pots

Postby Weescottie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi there, looking for advice please. Moving over full time next week and plan to plant up my balconies. What thrives and is suitable for planting this time of year? Going to use terracotta pots of various sizes. I’d like to mainly have flowers, plus perhaps chilli peppers and herbs. Also looking for garden centre recommendations near Nerja.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Plants in pots

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Geraniums are good in pots, but you have to watch out for the geranium moth. They flower pretty much all year round and one plant will last 2 or 3 years easily. They are also very cheap. They will give some immediate colour while you look for some other plants. They don't like being over watered. In the spring buy Pelargoniums. They flower for about 6 months and are also very cheap.

I would recommend Viveros Amberes on the coast road out of Torrox toward Nerja. Look for a big blue crane close by.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:47 am

El Cid wrote: I would recommend Viveros Amberes on the coast road out of Torrox toward Nerja. Look for a big blue crane close by.

Sid
I second that. They are on the Penoncillo Beach area, coming from Nerja on the coast road it's before you hit the first roundabout as you approach Torrox Costa. There's a new block of flats being built right on the corner, and I think there's a sign now on the other side of the road to it. Their stock changes all the time so if you can't see anything leave it a couple of weeks and go back. Good prices too :thumbup:

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Many thanks to you both. I’ll give there a try. I’m looking forward to creating my little oasis on my balcony.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:24 pm

If the balconies are in a very sunny position they'll need a lot of care throughout the hotter months. I've resorted to putting some grasses and non-flowering plants in pots which seem to do well. Although ours are mainly in the shade of a bougainvillea they get so hot they almost cook in the summer heat. I have a pot of herbs that do quite well, thyme, parsley and chives (which I let reseed). Never had much luck with the mint that doesn't seem to like the heat, but is fine in the winter months. If you have semi-shade then a stephanotis should thrive, that's one thing that's growing really well in a pot in partial sun. It's a climber so a bit of trellis would be needed but it has a nice scented flower. Good luck with your new venture!

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks Wicksey, we have partial shade so hopefully I won’t cook too many plants. I’m looking forward to getting the gardening gloves on and creating something pretty. Lots of good suggestions, thank you.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:13 am

Mission accomplished, garden centre visited, plants bought, just need to plant them up. What a great garden centre, great selection of plants and so cheap. Thanks for the recommendation.

Peztis

Postby Peztis » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 am

If you still have space, my favorite has become the dipladenia! Beautiful green leaves and gorgeous flowers. Attractive without the flowers as well.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:45 pm

A citrus tree would really give you the Spanish feel.....apart from the lovely fruits, you get beautifully smelling blossom. The Viveros that has been mentioned near Torrox sells quite a wide variety, many suitable for large pots. Kumquats, mandarins or even some oranges or lemons would be suitable for a pot.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:58 am

Stage 2 planting happening this weekend. Oh I love the idea of my own lemon tree, now on my wish list. I’ve googled dipladenia and that looks lovely. I’ll look out for it on my visit to the garden centre. Everything I bought last time thriving so definitely good quality plants. My favourite so far is the chilli pepper I bought for 2 euros. I love chilli and this is the plant that keeps on giving. It must still have about 50 chillis on it, super hot!

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 am

Roughly what would I expect to pay for a potted lemon tree? Say a metre or so high??

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 am

Well I would buy the lemon seperatedly from the pot and then pot it yourself. The actual Lemon tree, should be less than 10 euros. Should also be taller than a metre. Price of pot will obviously depend on what you choose.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:47 am

Many thanks .. that’s what I’ll do

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Lemon tree 27 euros, approx metre high....it has 8 lemons on, the gin is waiting! Pot only 6 euros, what a choice they have.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:50 am

:thumbup:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Glad to hear that your plant hunting is going well Weescottie. I have just bought a dipladenia from the same garden centre and it's doing well so far in a pot. I pass by one on someone's fence every day and it's been out in flower for months. Our problem is always the summer heat when we struggle to keep things going. Now is a good time to plant up your pots as we're coming into cooler and hopefully wetter weather, and they'll have time to get established.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Going back tomorrow for more plants, looked for dipladenia yesterday but couldn’t see any? Must have looked in wrong place?? I’m addicted now. Spotted some lime trees, would those thrive?? Easy to grow?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Lime trees grow well. As with all citrus trees, the thicker the trunk, the more mature the plant is. This obviously affects the cost, but in the long run, the more mature plant will produce more fruit.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:23 am

Weescottie wrote:Going back tomorrow for more plants, looked for dipladenia yesterday but couldn’t see any? Must have looked in wrong place?? I’m addicted now. Spotted some lime trees, would those thrive?? Easy to grow?
Their stock in Viveros Amberes changes all the time. Things seem to come and go. I guess I was lucky when I got mine as they had loads of different sizes. I buy the plants that are in the first greenhouse on the left as you go in. The first one on the right tends to have what I think of as house plants. Then there are more bushes and trees at the far end on the right, that's where the fruit trees and oleanders have been in the past.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:33 am

Found the dipladenias, stunning! A wee car full this morning. Lime tree on my list for planting phase 3.