Wrong time on computer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Wrong time on computer

Postby Wicksey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:54 pm

I was looking at the Filmon TV guide with a view to setting some recordings and I noticed their times were completely wrong. eg currently on BBC 1 showing the programme on Watchdog Test House as being on 12:08am to 12:38am.

I contacted them about it but then noticed that my time is incorrect on my PC .... currently showing 00:16. I have checked the time zone and it is correctly set up. Just checked on Google and time should be 12:53pm .... what on earth is happening :wtf:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wrong time on computer

Postby Wicksey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Filmon helpdesk came back and said that I need to check my time settings ..... found that there had been some sort of blip in the 'Internet Time' area of the clock and time setting. I asked it to re-synchronise and I am now all back to the right time. Odd though how Filmon's times adjusted to my computer time on their website.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:47 am

Wait until Sunday morning before you are sure all is ok. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 am

Time on computer currently shows 15:50 Thursday 27th .....doh (it is 10:55am Friday 28th) :thumbdown: .

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Wicksey,
Click on the time ....bottom right of screen ...change date and time settings...internet time..

change settings and update using time server setting.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 am

That's how I corrected it yesterday, Enrique, but I keep trying and keep getting the message that 'an error occurred whilst Windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com'. I have tried the other web addresses on their menu but none of them will work.

I googled the problem and there's a suggestion that a battery on the motherboard has run flat and it is not maintaining the correct time. Do PCs still have this back-up battery?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 am

Hi,
Yes there is a battery on the Motherboard..they last for many years............I've only ever changed two.
The batteries are normally type 2032 , best to pop the side cover and have a check.

I'm surprised the other sync sites don't work, the windows one didn't work for me this morning but the next one down did.

Reboot the PC and as it comes up press F2(you will need to be quick) or what ever key it suggests to go to Setup and put correct time in there and then see how it goes.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Oh dear .... after putting up with the wrong time day after day I decided to change the battery. Easy, I thought - pop out the old one and put in the new one ...... oh so wrong :(

I pressed F2 on start up and reset the time as it had defaulted to 2007 when I first bought it, then it went through CHKDSK and then the blue Windows Vista screen started up as usual .... "please wait ....." then "welcome" .... then nada .... a black screen and just the arrow cursor nothing more. I have switched it off and on a few times and there are other options on startup (as it didn't close down properly) but I cannot switch between the options anyway - using the arrow keys doesn't function. Presumably the keyboard is functioning as I managed to change the date and time initially.

Edit:
I won't let it beat me so I fired it up yet again, and got back into the settings screen on F2 ..... realised date was wrong ..... American settings so should have been 04/28 :roll: ........ magic :thumbup: .... that worked ......phew :clap:

I still think it is strange that the whole thing ceased to function purely due to the wrong date.