Setup a tv for VPN?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
rafiki
Resident

Setup a tv for VPN?

Postby rafiki » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:58 am

I'm a bit out of the loop on TV developments. Can modern TVs be themselves setup to connect through my VPN service or must that always be done in the router?
Brian.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Setup a tv for VPN?

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:27 am

A VPN can only be set up on a router or PC for use on a TV.
On the tv the DNS settings can be changed
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:29 am

Just expanding on Mark's post, usually the VPN is installed in the router. Unfortunately, most routers do not allow this, clearly yours does. Some devices can have their own VPN, tablets and smartphones and PC's being an example. I have not seen a TV with this option, but TV's usually allow you to access the DNS settings. For that you need a SmartDNS service. Personally, I prefer SmartDNS to a VPN as my line is pretty slow and a VPN can knock 40% off the speed whereas a DNS change has no effect.

The only "TV" books I have come across that does not allow access to DNS is the NOWTV box, so with that you have to modify the router settings, either with a VPN or DNS.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Thanks both.Very clear explanation. I don't have a VPN enabled router yet but wanted to check the pathways available before making a decision. Much appreciated.
Brian.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:27 pm

It really does depend why you require a VPN.
If it's only for access to media content, then a Smart DNS will suffice and is pretty easy to set up.