Movistar ADSL price increase...

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
rafiki
Resident

Movistar ADSL price increase...

Postby rafiki » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:35 pm

I see from a letter attached to my recent bill that, in the face of mounting competition, Movistar are raising their internet connection price from Jan 2016. 'Only' another couple of euros a month but it has prompted me to check out the two cable alternatives in our village.
Brian.

ValL
Resident

Re: Movistar ADSL price increase...

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Aye weird logic !

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 am

I would be interested in your results Brian, I have someone here who is forever complaining about the up load speeds!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:43 pm

I have found the prices web page for Wi-Max and I'll PM it to you Mary. They are fibre-optic now and are offering broadband only at 20Mbs download speed for 18€ p.m. inc IVA. They don't disclose upload speed. There are broadband/telephone options too. They also have 'Fusion' options with mobile phone service. There is no minimum contract unless you take their free router which will tie you to a 12 month contract. I don't have any info on reliability so I want to investigate further.

There is also the CTV company who have fibre optic cables here but I haven't found any prices yet.
Brian.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:05 pm

Thank you. Will do some research too and pass on my results to you.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:37 pm

I just found this handy list of spanish satellite providers:

http://www.satproviders.com/en/list-of- ... ices/SPAIN

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks Flexo but with two fibre optic services passing the door I won't be going to satellite.
Brian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:49 pm

If they are using fibre-optic connections how come they are so slow? Movistar cable is up to 300mb/sec

You mentioned Wi-Max which is usually a WiFi service, typically offering up to 20mb for that price.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:21 pm

They are installing the cables all over the village currently. I'm going in to see them tomorrow to check availability.
Brian.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:50 pm

I have been advised that I can both the new services for less than I am currently paying movistar:)

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:00 pm

CTV are coming to see me this evening Mary. If, like Wi-Net, there is no contract requirement I will see if they can install their internet without me cancelling Movistar until I can check out their service reliability.
Brian.

puertosol

Postby puertosol » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Hallo Brian

Is it possible to have fiber internet connection in the Puertosol building ?

Eivind

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Hello. My location details are on the right. I don't recognise that building name. It doesn't sound like one in our village. Perhaps you are confusing me with somebody else?
Brian.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:09 pm

No cable here but my internet speed has gone up to 15.5Mbps. I am contracted for 10Mbps and usually get 8.5.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Earlier this year they did say that they would be doubling all the speeds, especially on Fibre. They implied that normal ADSL connections would be upgraded but it wasn't too clear especially if you had a 3mb connection in the Campo like us.

We certainly haven't been upgraded and I have now upgraded to a very fast WiMAX connection for the same price as Movistar.

I hope you find that the change is permanent. If it is, it's good to see that Movistar are actually doing what they promised.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Has anybody got any recent experience of changing providers?
I am very much a believer of the "if ain't broke..." philosophy, and as such have steadfastly stuck with Movistar for more years than I care to remember.
However, they are showing no signs of bringing fibre optic to our door any time soon, which has got me pondering whether to bite the bullet and jump ship to Orange or Jazztel, who offer 200/300mbps fibre compared to my current approx 8.5mbps ADSL, and will save me around €15 a month. Not earth shattering savings, admittedly, but it would pay the home insurance bill, for example.
Trouble is, I'm very apprehensive about a "change-over". How easy is it? What can (will) go wrong? I can live without superfast internet (I have done so far) and I don't desperately need to save €15 a month, so am I better off leaving well alone?
:crazy:
Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:29 pm

I have just completed the process. I was with Movistar on their Fusion contract. I arranged a completely new service with another ISP for ADSL, fixed phone and a mobile contract to replace what I had with Fusion. I requested that they organised the transfer of the two phone numbers. Shortly after I received a text message from Movistar saying that the fixed line would be transferred in 24 hours. I got a similar message for the mobile.

I phoned 1004 and asked Movistar if I needed to cancel the contract. They said that it would be automatic as I had transferred both numbers. At the advised time, the new service was installed (it was a WiMAX system) and I picked up a new SIM card for my phone at the local office.

The next bill arrived from Movistar and it showed adjusted figures based on the cancellation. There was no penalty for cancellation of the line. As my Domo phone and old router were, in theory, their property, they needed to be returned. I called 1004 and obtained a cancellation code. I took the two units to the nearest Movistar shop and they entered the code into the computer and gave me a receipt.

After 15 years with Movistar I have no complaints. The reason for moving was their inability to give me an ADSL connection above 2.5mb/s. This was not their fault, it was a limitation placed on the connection which was too far from the local exchange to give a higher speed. As we are fairly isolated in the Campo, fibre will never be an option.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks for the info Sid. I am just about to cancel and that will be a great help. he bonly difference is we will dispense with our landline altogether and use our (Vodafone) mobiles as the only calls we get on the landline are cold calls.
Brian.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Perfect, thanks Sid!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:55 pm

So Orange and Jazztel actually have their own Fibre Optic Infrastructure??