Apple - Buy in Spain or the UK

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
telboy
Resident

Apple - Buy in Spain or the UK

Postby telboy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Thinking of purchasing a new MacBook Pro, my existing one is 6 years old now. I am due to spend a week or two in the UK shortly so could purchase there. At the Apple store the difference in price between the UK and Spain is minimal. Buying here would involve a 250km hike to the Marbella store. I know there is Worten MediaMarkt, Fnac etc but I would prefer to buy from the Apple store.

What would you do :?:

Also which IPTV box, AppleTV or NowTV for use with the Mac :?:

No PC versus Mac wars please :!:

terry

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Apple - Buy in Spain or the UK

Postby firsttango » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Why not buy it online at apple.es??

But if you prefer to purchase at a store I personally got a new Macbook Pro recently from El Cortes Ingles as previously with several other Apple products.....great service on each occasion.
Wortens etc carry very very limited range in my experience and often older models. But if you dont mind the drive you can't beat the service and overall customer experience of a dedicated Apple store.

P.S As I wanted a full spec I rang them to check they had what I required in stock first.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:41 pm

I agree with Firstango - I have bought online for small devices but when I bought an iMac I went down to Marbella.

I'm not sure I understand your question about IPTV boxes. Yes, an Apple TV is the best way of streaming to TV from your Mac but a NowTV would just stream direct to the TV.

Sid

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:48 pm

firsttango - cheers, I must admit that the excellent service I got the last time was the Apple store Marbella was a bit of a shock, I've never known service like it in a store in Spain.

Last time I ordered something online - Being in the campo off-track I met the MRW delivery man who went into the back of his van and was throwing other parcels around whilst searching for my parcel of books, I was glad I hadn't ordered anything fragile.

I will check out El Corte Inglais, however I've always found them to be very expensive normally.

cheers
terry

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Cheers Sid - Sorry my fault, obviously the NowTV box makes a TV into the Smart type. :crazy: - just a bit giddy at the thought of getting a new Mac.

My next project is to turn my old purple iMac into a fish tank. :lol:

cheers
terry

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:10 pm

telboy wrote:
I will check out El Corte Inglais, however I've always found them to be very expensive normally.

cheers
terry
They will be virtually identical price wise with the Apple Store, I bought a new iPad Air 2 there a month ago and it was in fact €20 cheaper than the Apple store.

I have an old iMac in indigo blue stored in a spare room, can barely lift it :lolno:

https://www.elcorteingles.es/search/?s=macbook

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:47 pm

I bought one from a company called k-tuin, No actual shops in the south of Spain but you can buy online. They do reduce their prices on special days such as black Friday. I got a reduction of around 130 Euros (10 per cent) They also offer extras
http://www.k-tuin.com/comprar-un-mac

The only thing I would add is that If you buy in the UK, you will get an English keyboard.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:18 pm

You can opt for a UK keyboard from Apple Spain online.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:38 am

Every apple product we have bought was from an apple store. Service is 2nd to none. We also get education discount via my wife. 13% from an iMac but only 10 off a macbook pro.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:44 pm

markwilding wrote:The only thing I would add is that If you buy in the UK, you will get an English keyboard.
Good point never thought of that, maybe I'll give the Apple store a call and ask them about a MacBook with a UK keyboard beforehand.

terry

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:04 pm

I phoned the Apple Store (Marbella) enquiring about an English keyboard, they don't have any in store but advised me to order one online and have it delivered to the store, to pick up later.

El Cid - Did you pay a fee for delivery when you ordered online :?:

The latest MacBook Pro at the Apple Store comes with OS X El Capitan (10.11), I could get the same model for 150€ cheaper at MediaMarkt (Granada) but their spec states it comes with Yosemite (10.10) and I doubt the'd have an English keyboard version.

terry

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:14 pm

OS is not a problem because you can go online and upgrade to Yosemite. Key board is an issue.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:08 pm

The latest O.S is not Yosemite, its El Capitan 10.11.2.

When upgraded my Macbook pro which I got it the U.S to my current one which has the Spanish keyboard layout it caused very minimal stress, I just set it up how I wanted it to behave in preferences. You very quickly get used to the @ being a slightly different keystroke etc. But thats my own opinion and experience.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:09 pm

Apple do not charge delivery on major items.

Sid

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Off subject a bit, has anybody any bad experiences from the OS El Capitan like the wifi problems there were with Yosemite? I have a '09 iMac running 10.8.5 and would like to upgrade just a bit nervous of any problems that could be encountered. Thanks.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Nope not had any issues, very stable as you'd expect, but there again I didn't have any problems with Yosemite which came pre installed on my mid 2015 Macbook Pro. (10.8.5 is as I'm sure you're aware is Mountain Lion, so I assume you didn't install Yosemite and experience any problems 1st hand?)

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:29 pm

No I didn't but all the reviews I read from people who'd upgraded from Mountain Lion had problems with wifi. I may well try El Capitan. Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:52 pm

I’ve got a 2011 iMac and a 2012 macbook pro which are both running el capitan without any problems. I actually thought they were on Yosemite so the Mrs must have upgraded them. No problems at all.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:56 pm

I have a late 2013 iMac 27 and am currently running El Capitan. I have never had the slightest problem with any OSX upgrades and similarly on IOS.

There will always be reports of some people having problems, but they are a tiny minority.

Sid

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks guys. I'm off to download El Capitan :)