Power pack for mobile phone?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
rafiki
Resident

Power pack for mobile phone?

Postby rafiki » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:08 am

After an accident with my old Galaxy S4 I have been upgraded to an S7. It's the first time I have had a phone that I cannot change batteries. When travelling I have always carried a couple of spares and the Samsung battery charger so I'm rather worried about a couple of upcoming trips. I'm told I should buy a power pack that I can carry which will plug in when necessary. There seems to be a large choice of these things but before diving in I'd like to ask here what I should be looking for in a pack and what to avoid. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Brian.

Stevemul
Resident

Re: Power pack for mobile phone?

Postby Stevemul » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:22 am

I have one of these which works well.

Power Bank RAVPower 16750mAh Portable Charger External Battery Pack

I believe some of the small cheap ones are useless

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:41 am

I concur with the Ravpower, having the 22000mAh version with which I can recharge 2 iPads and my smartphone on one charge, but wish I had got a smaller capacity one as being a Lithium Ion battery you can run into trouble with some airlines/airports taking it flying.
On a recent trip I left it at home rather than risk an over-zealous security man confiscating it. The problem is that the rules seem to vary immensely, the only certainty being that it must not be in checked-in luggage.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks both. Yes, Peter, I see that airlines should allow a 100 watt hours battery, 16750 mah is about 83 @ 5v but 22000 is well over the 100. I'll keep to the 16750. Thanks for the pointer. I also see that some of these don't come with a mains charger so worth watching for if travelling.
Brian.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Ordered the RAVpower 16750 mAh model. Delivery tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
Brian.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi Rafiki
rafiki wrote:After an accident with my old Galaxy S4 I have been upgraded to an S7..
I am considering upgrading to the S7, did you buy yours online? Some years ago I bought two S4s from Amazon.es one came from Italy and the other came from Portugal! Can you recommend any online vendors? TIA

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:08 pm

I usually buy from Amazon and look around at the different EU depots. Expansys.com might be worth a look. However this time I did something I haven't done for years and bought from Vodafone ES. The price was very similar to Amazon.x and I had to fork out just a deposit and pay the rest on my bill with no finance charges. It lengthens my contract date but I am not looking to change provider any time soon.

I am happy with the S7. I have it set up just like my old S4 so, for me, functionality is the same but it has a much better screen, seems faster and the camera is far better than the S4. I bought an Otterbox protective case to look after it better this time!

i do miss not having a couple of spare batteries for when I travel though. Hence my question about power packs which will do the job but are not the same as just popping another battery in.
Brian.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Cheers. Thanks.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:26 pm

You are welcome.

SEUR just delivered the RAV power pack. It weighs a ton! Far more than a couple of Samsung batteries. What a retrograde step it was, designing out the removable battery!
Brian.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:33 pm

There are videos on YouTube showing how to change the battery in an S7 - not for the faint hearted!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks, but not out on the street then... I often used spare batteries in the S4 when out all day using GPS or maps.
Brian.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:51 pm

A question for the RAV users which I can't see the answer to in the manual: why different power outputs on the two outlets 2.1A and 2.4A?
Brian.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:09 pm

On my 22000mha version all three are 2.4 max each
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.