Two Operating Systems (AppleMac)

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
telboy
Resident

Two Operating Systems (AppleMac)

Postby telboy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Does anyone know whether I can install and use Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on my MacBook Pro 2015 which is presently using OS 10.12.3 (Sierra).

I have Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign, etc) which I purchased a while back at great expense, I used this on my older MacBook Pro circa 2009 which has now kicked the bucket. Because the later MacBook Pro comes without a DVD drive I purchased an external drive purely for the installation of Adobe Suite. However after installing all the programmes, the message I got was that 'My Mac is too modern' or words to that effect. If I was able to boot up from OS 10.6 then I may be able to use Adobe Suite.

terry

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Two Operating Systems (AppleMac)

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi telboy,
The word on the street is you will need a second partition on your HDD and install the other OS in there.

Sid may be able to enlighten you on this ..........It's the one bit of kit I've not go my grubby hands on yet.......... :(

You may come across........................

" Mac will not run a version of Mac OS X older than the version that shipped from the factory on the Mac. The firmware will not allow the machine to boot an older version."
Last edited by Enrique on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Depends on the actual Model of your Mac but I personally would not suggest it, maybe partition your drive and install Os there so dual boot.. I would check with Adobe as to why it wont run with Sierra and whether your license allows you to install from a download at Adobe. I run Adobe CS5 with no problem on a 2016 Macbook Pro and a 2014 Macbook Air.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2455

Also here is a maybe "yes maybe no" answer

http://www.apple.com/shop/question/answ ... CFT9ATPXXT

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:47 pm

If you call the apple care number in the UK they are offering free info and help at the moment.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:16 pm

You could try running it as a virtual machine under VM Fusion. I have run two different versions of Windows (7 and 8 ) at the same time with no problems. I can't see why you cannot run earlier versions of Mac OS. You don't need to dual boot - it just runs alongside the main OS.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Telboy a very interesting question, please do let us know what your eventual solution was

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 pm

I've no solution just yet.

Unfortunately my Mac has a total capacity of 120Gb, 54Gb of that is the operating system, leaving me 37Gb with apps, documents etc using the remainder. 37Gb is not space for the addition of to OS10.6 or OS10.7. I thought I may get away with partitioning my external 1TB HDD and making use that but 300Gb of that is used, I don't think it's possible to partition a used HDD.

The issue with Adobe programmes not opening or having problems stemmed from the launch of later OS systems, Mavericks and Yosemite, there seems to be quite a few posts around the web with disgruntled Adobe users, I think the answer in the end had something to to with Java runtime not being installed with the later Mac OS systems. Maybe that's the answer, but then again, there have always been security issues using Java, possibly the reason Apple dropped it - This is another can of worms!!

I'll keep you posted.

:thumbup: Cheers guys
terry

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:22 pm

How much RAM have you got onboard? As if only 4gb I think you'd really struggle with VM Fusion from what i've read in the Apple forums.
That 54gb for your OS seems massively high, where are you getting that reading from?? I'm currently on my Macbook Air and I thought my system was high at 22gb (Sierra 10.12.3)
Last edited by firsttango on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi telboy,
"I don't think it's possible to partition a used HDD."

Should be able to do it with OS x system..............

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5604025?tstart=0

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22240?locale=en_GB

Other ideas...........

Depending what other kit you have on site.............to do the job.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/

Or a linux system with gparted..........

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:45 pm

firsttango wrote:How much RAM have you got onboard? As if only 4gb I think you'd really struggle with VM Fusion from what i've read in the Apple forums.
That 54gb for your OS seems massively high, where are you getting that reading from?? I'm currently on my Macbook Air and I thought my system was high at 22gb (Sierra 10.12.3)

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:13 pm

firsttango - Just a quick reply, sorry my mistake, I have 48Gb of documents, 21Gb system, 12Gb apps and 8Gb RAM.

El Cid - I assume FM Fusion is for those running Widows and a Mac OS, at the same time?

Enrique - Cheers I'll have a look at the links you sent later.

If I was running Adobe Suite I'd only need to boot up from the older OS. My main concern was whether the two OS systems could live together on the same HD, as you know when your computer is working fine you don't want to upset things (if it aint broke don't fix it). Example - after upgrading the latest patch for Sierra 10.12.3 I am getting now getting 'The Spinning Wheel of Death' quite regularly (not always) when I access video footage e.g. opening up something I've recorded on Filmon or video footage as part of an online newspaper :wtf:

Sorry suffering at the moment - just picked up a flu type bug, and only a month or so after kicking some other bug I picked up in the UK over Christmas.

terry

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Telboy, which Version Adobe Suite is it you are wanting to Install??

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi telboy,
Hope you're getting pampered........ :angel:

Virtualbox will run on OS x , and its free......... :idea:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Have you got a copy of your old OS x ......if so you can then install it in the VirtualBox........not sure on Apple Licenses here.......... :oops:

In case you've not used a Virtual system some light reading...............

http://www.howtogeek.com/196060/beginne ... -machines/

PS: Hot lemon and Honey drink.........plus keep fluids up...........ie WATER

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Tell boy - Fusion is most often used for running Windows but it can run a very large number of other OS's. I cannot find anything that says it cannot run versions os OSX but frankly it's a very unlikely requirement.

Sid

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:03 am

firsttango wrote:Telboy, which Version Adobe Suite is it you are wanting to Install??
Adobe Suite CS5.1 Which includes -
Photoshop 5.1
Illustrator 5.1
InDesign 5.5
Acrobat 9
Bridge 5.1
Device Central 5.5
Extension Manager 5.5

terry

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:50 am

Telboy I assume you've googled and found some answers, none of which from what I can see really solve the issue fully. But incase you didn't see this have a read.
https://blog.conradchavez.com/2016/06/1 ... ork/#preCC

With the figures you quote regarding your HD I personally would keep well away from partitioning/installing anything else on it to run Snow leopard, as you say you are already getting the spinning beachball and in my opinion using a big chunk of the limited space you have left would only make it worse. Basically leave your HD as it is. I would go for the external option, below are two interesting videos to look at, I personally like the one using the SD card option (i have a 128gb card thats in all the time as extra storage as i like to keep my on board HD as clean and lean as possible).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38aJjHAtNnY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPfgufrVRA

But on another point regarding your HD figures I would want to check that they are accurate!! Firstly I'd run ONYX and clean out any junk, then I'd rebuild the spotlight index. Last year my Macbook pro showed in storage that i had 55 gb Apps and 30gb movies....I knew this was simply not the case and rebuilt the Spotlight index and once completed showed a more accurate 14gb Apps and 4 gb movies. I think you may be surprised if you did it.
https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-wron ... ation-osx/

Hope you're feeling better today

linajeff
Tourist

Postby linajeff » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Very useful post. Thankful for all the useful information shared!.
:wave:

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi guys

After reading many posts on many websites on my query, the general consensus is.

Snow Leopard was released in 2009 which to reiterate was the Mac OS version(10.6) that was on my MacBook Pro (circa 2009) at the time. So, if I was to load this older OS then there is no way it would know how to "talk" to a 13" MacBook Pro Retina, it wouldn't know how to drive the video card, the network card, even the logic board to some extent, so, I would rightly expect kernel panics and other weirdness, I think case now closed.

My easier option now is to have the older MacBookPro repaired. The issue at the time with the older Mac was, On boot-up the Apple logo would appear and stay stuck on screen, after a very short while the mac would get extremely hot and the cooling fan would kick in at high speed. Anyhow that's another Issue and another post.

Cheers to everyone for your input on my post. I will post again on this subject should there be any future updates. :thumbup: :wave:

terry