Wireless internet provider in Granada city?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Wireless internet provider in Granada city?

Postby hangoverocks » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Well firsttango, you are the first I've met who has Fibre To The Premises (FTTP/FTTH)! (I was not aware that fibre optic needed a modem in the technical sense, so please set me straight on this, I am keen to know.)
See imge below:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:43 pm

That used to be the case, but Movistar now use a new router which has the cable connected directly. I know that for sure as I watched mine being installed and it took nearly two days to get the fibre cable into the house as it runs for about 70m underground through my garden. It would have been much easier with a copper connection as they could have used the existing cables.

According to the label, it is a Mitrastar, supplied to them by Informatica El Corte Ingles.

Sid

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Thank you Sid,
I am usually wrong !
Did you change from Radiokable in the last year? You were getting good speeds from Radiokable (you had 36Mbs download in 2018 - do you need more than that?)
I didn´t think true Fibre to the Premises is offered in Granada, but maybe I just haven´t met anyone who has it/offers it.
aye
Simon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Yes, I changed from Radiocable when Movistar ran fibre all the way up our Campo road - to my immense surprise!

Radiocable Fibra30 service never ever dropped below 30mb. Their service is excellent and they have plenty of English speaking staff. When I transfed back to Movistar, they could not have been more helpful. 100% recomendation from me.

Sid

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks Sid, as you know I contacted Radiokable by email, they replied there is insufficient cover to provide internet to our new house 2 km from the centre.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:50 pm

hangoverocks wrote:Well firsttango, you are the first I've met who has Fibre To The Premises (FTTP/FTTH)! (I was not aware that fibre optic needed a modem in the technical sense, so please set me straight on this, I am keen to know.)
See imge below:
I think that your information is very out of date. I have had Movistar Fibre Optic for over 2 years, since it was made available in my street. The industrial Fibre Optic Cable runs directly from street into my house to a junction box close to my router (black cable) where it then for the last few inches connects directly to my Movistar Fibre Optic Router (cream Fibre optic cable with green connectors both ends, one end even has the yellow triangular fibre optic cable logo/warning attached). This enables me to get a symmetrical 600mbps up n download. See attached photos of my router and fibre cables. I hope this has "set you straight" and that NO co-ax is used in my or anybody else I know's Movistar Fibre Optic package. I have been with Movistar for a great many years and concur with Beachcomber and have always found them to very helpful and supply a very professional service for a fair price.

PS No idea why you mentioned a "modem" in your reply to me. But can assure you that a home Fibre Connection will need to connect to a Fibre Optic spec Router.....an ADSL/Cable router will not work.

https://ibb.co/WGJf0sq
https://ibb.co/rGh3Ngz
https://ibb.co/C831VQd

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:12 am

I finally took the leap and contracted (12 months) with Radiokable.net here in Granada city.
It's a Wimax connection from about 12km away, the technico mounted a dish on the highest point of my house on the roof terrace (signal comes from sierra Elvira he says) and spent 15 minutes balanced on top of the railings aligning the dish while on the phone to the office..
I opted for the 10Mbs bandwidth at 30 euros per month, I've had it now for 2 weeks and it gives me about the same performance as my old contract with Orange at 40 euros a month.
But I don't have a fixed line and no contract with Telefonica/Movistar, which I am most happy about.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:33 am

Hi hangoverocks,
Good to hear you got sorted, I to pay 30€ /pm for 12Mbps so your price is fair.

Now while its working OK do the following..............
Assuming Windows system.........
type cmd this will bring up a window
type tracert 8.8.8.8 this traces a route to a Google Server

The IP numbers will show the hops , save a screen shot of the output.

The first one will be the Gateway Router on your roof, the next the Antenna 12Km away then you go into the ISP, there may be a few hops there before going out to the rest of the Network.
Should you have a problem in the future use tracert as above and see how far it gets, The problems I see here is the antenna is down, in my case at 8km usually due to power cuts .
From the cmd window also type ping 8.8.8.8 there should be no packet lose.......

So when you phone a fault in you can be more informative.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:55 am

Thank you Enrique,
I did the tracert - screenshot enc'
Seems the antenna is Jetnet.es
I do get dropouts maybe once a day but service is restored after a minute, it hasn't been a problem yet but could be I guess if I were talking to someone on Skype or similar.
Thanks again!
Simon