New Humax Freesat 1100s - no signal message

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

New Humax Freesat 1100s - no signal message

Postby fyfin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:46 pm

My friend has just bought a new Humax Freesat 1100s 500gb box and asked me to have a look as he couldn't get it working. Normally, it's something simple but it was receiving no signal despite the fact that another old box (not Humax) was receiving a signal no problem. I couldn't figure it out so took it home and tried it on my connection and exactly the same. I then put it into non Freesat channels mode and it saw the signal immediately and loaded all the usual channels, BBC etc but in a very jumbled and unusable way really.
I can't understand how the old Freesat Humax boxes have no problems and have to assume that something has been changed, maybe they only look at a particular satellite or there has to be a certain frequency but then how do I get it on an old box.

I'm a bit confused and wondered if anyone has recently bought one and had a problem. We are in Turre, Almeria using a 1.8mtr dish.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

fyfin
Resident

Re: New Humax Freesat 1100s - no signal message

Postby fyfin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:53 pm

BY the way the signal test shows absolutely nothing nothing on either input
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:15 pm

dodgy unit?

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:05 pm

Beginning to sound like it. One last test for possible weak epg signal. I have access to a an apartment block with an even bigger dish. Will try it there, then it's going back.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:05 pm

There's not a lot of working channels left on Freesat (down here in Spain), but there are some.
Our Humaxes are used only in non-Freesat mode now, and mainly for Classic FM.

Freesat channels keep their allotted 3-digit channel numbers.
Non-Freesat channels don't, and if you do either a re-tune or, say, delete a channel, all the 4-digit numbers change.

SatPCguy knows these units inside-out.
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:44 pm

You can no longer receive UK TV channels on a Humax box. They now make very good doorstops.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:47 pm

He is a mine of information and I have been talking to him on messenger as well. I hadn't heard anything about missing channels though. Still loads on my old humax. I think we have decided the problem is a weak epg signal so if it doesn't pick that up it can't function as a Freesat box.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:49 pm

Really Sid . The old box humax but not sure of model still works fine with a 1.8mtr dish

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:16 pm

That's because you are in Almeria - anywhere further west and you are out of luck unless you have a 3m+ dish..

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:38 pm

So far anyway until something else changes I suppose. The new box can't be as good at picking up the signal as the old box I think.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Could be.. you are right on the edge of the reception area. A small change in the reception of the box could wipe it out completely. Maybe getting the dish alignment and LNB checked could help.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:50 am

I found this information and it could be a combination of them all as my friend doesn't have access to the dish (it's a friend's dish he shares). Especially the bit that mentions Freesat receivers now being sensitive in fringe areas (obviously the older ones weren't as they still work here).
SATELLITE RECEPTION FEELS THE HEAT
Expats in hotter areas of Europe are now finding the BBC & ITV harder to receive, as satellite reception approaches its low point of the year.
High temperatures lead to an increase digital noise in reception equipment, with more 'no signal' periods during the day, typically evenings. Added to this, an annual dip in strength over the summer can mean the UK beam signal drops below a reliable threshold, resulting in an annoying blocking and sound interference.
For many, the cure for this is not easy to achieve.
A bigger dish always helps, as does a better LNB (Low Noise Block- at the business end of the dish arms). LNBs get fried in hot countries. Cheaper models typically fail after 4-5 years. Most Sky and Freesat receivers now are quite sensitive in fringe areas of Europe. Cables are not usually a problem unless they have perished on a hot roof or have been eaten by rats (it happens). Often a dish is not pointed accurately, or its mounting has slipped in high winds.