Multifunction printers

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
1bassleft
Resident

Re: Multifunction printers

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:37 am

Wicksey, a USB dongle is not complicated and is ridiculously cheap. On a few of my Lenovos, as soon as the built-in wifi gives me any gip it's often faster to get a Chinese thing the size of a thumbnail for £2 off eBay and it works straight out of the Jiffy bag. I have the advantage of not having to wait for Correos to lose my ordered stuff, but if you have reliable mail it's easy.

TdA, I hadn't heard of that self-destruct - I'll watch out for it. Apart from 3rd party software, the drivers (at least for my quite old Pixma and previous inkjets) have self-test routines that print out the multicolour lines and boxes - must admit I haven't used them regularly and probably that accounts for my ridiculously early "replace the cartridge" promts.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Multifunction printers

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:59 am

The self-test thin lines/boxes are intended to show up jets which aren't working, and do this very well. They're often part of a semi-automated routine that incorporates repeat cleaning.

The 'work-out' patterns are different. They involve broad bands of each ink colour, to push a larger (but not excessive) volume of ink through each jet, which acts as a flushing agent. You could create your own pattern by making up a page with a series of vertical bands, each about 1cm wide (and about 10cm deep), and in a rainbow of each of the ink colours (C, M, Y, K, and LM, LC if there). Plenty of these read-made images available online.
Chris