Chromecast

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Stratocloud
Tourist

Chromecast

Postby Stratocloud » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:06 pm

I have vpn on my laptop, tablet and phone. If I buy Google Chromecast, will I be able to watch BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4 and BT Sport on my tv? Many thanks

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chromecast

Postby Miro » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Chromecast is a separate device - you will need a VPN or smartDNS on your router. Check if it's possible with your router first - some IPS supplied routers won't let you. You can get around that by using a cheap secondary router.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Can op not watch BBC etc on his laptop or phone, which have a vpn, then cast the screen to his TV via a chromecast,. Or is that not functionality that chromecast has?
Regards

Bob

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Chromecast doesn't work like screen mirroring (screencast). When you "cast" something to Chromecast you are essentially instructing Chromecast to fetch that content directly from the web - hence Chromecast will need a VPN in order to play geo-restricted content on your TV. Since you can't add a VPN to Chromecast itself, it has to be at the router.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Learn something every day... Thx.
Regards

Bob

Stratocloud
Tourist

Postby Stratocloud » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks Miro. I subscribe to a vpn. Do you know if it is possible to put it on the tv? I have a Samsung smart tv. I don't know how to put it on the router!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Hi Stratocloud,
Sounds like your easiest option is the get a SmartDNS option. Otherwise you're taking about dd-wrt enabled Router.......
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:24 pm

Can't help with the Samsung TV. Try Google, or ask your VPN provider.
Same applies to SmartDNS as VPN: some routers don't let you change DNS settings, so you might need a secondary router

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Many members use a DNS server with their smart Samsung TV with little effort. The main problem with one is to change to app country.
Have you already bought a Chromecast because it is slightly more complicated to use one with a DNS because other settings need to be adjusted in the router for it to work with most U.K. apps.
I posted some time ago how to do so if that’s the way you want to go I can have a go at getting my chromecast to work and tell you how it’s done

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 pm

I'm certainly no expert on chromecast having sold mine after figuring out it didn't do what I wanted. But just seen this posting on Facebook by the folks from smartdnsproxy which certainly seems to say that you can cast from your pc/tablet/phone to your chromecast and hence to the TV.

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/news/smar ... 8epRNzajnE

Just passing info on. Can't test it as I said I sold mine some time ago.
Regards

Bob

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:00 am

I wonder what it was you expected from Chromecast that it didn't do? You can cast to your TV from PC/tablet/phone all day long - that's the whole point of it. The problem is with geo-restricted content: you can't put a VPN (or smart DNS) into your Chromecast, so you have to have it on the router.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:10 am

Miro wrote:I wonder what it was you expected from Chromecast that it didn't do?
Nothing particularly complicated.

I purchased the chromecast specifically for this and I simply wanted to cast uktv on my tablet to a TV in a Spanish hotel room. Had it working at home no problem. But when we got to the hotel I hit a limitation in the operation of the chromecast. It was not possible to connect it to a wifi network that needed authentication or self-registration to a gateway via a browser. This was just not supported by chromecast at the time and if I remember correctly a message appeared on screen saying that this was unsupported.

No use for it at home so into the toy cupboard it went.
Regards

Bob

Stratocloud
Tourist

Postby Stratocloud » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks everyone! I haven't actually bought one yet and I think I will give it a miss!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:39 am

Maybe I'm being a little simplistic here but can you not screencast from your tablet to your smart TV? Even my (semi) smart LG has a cast app on it.
Regards

Bob

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 pm

Stratocloud wrote:Thanks everyone! I haven't actually bought one yet and I think I will give it a miss!
Get in quick then, production has ceased on the Chromecast Audio in preparation for it to be discontinued so I fear this may follow soon. I guess it interferes with the rest of the range price wise. There are a few similar products around if you Google or eBay it.

I use CA & CCA daily and really do not want any of their integrated products. When mine dies it will be replaced with the competition.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 pm

casita-bonita wrote:Maybe I'm being a little simplistic here but can you not screencast from your tablet to your smart TV? Even my (semi) smart LG has a cast app on it.
It only works with some phones. My IOS gadgets can only control YouTube and Spotify on my TV.
I would imagine that an audio version of Chromecast isn't needed especially if Google want people to buy Google home.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 pm

The audio version was a very good streamer for linking to a hifi system, especially with its RCA mini Jack doubling as a digital input.

Sound quality was very decent for the price. However with leaps and bounds in technology in this field over the last couple of years its become less favoured in this field.

Are they scrapping a purely audio model altogether now?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:01 pm

A Chromecast is excellent for streaming content on a TV from a Laptop, Phone or Tablet device. From a Chrome Browser, you'll see a Chromecast Icon. Some IPTV setups allow you to run the IPTV from a Browser and so this would be an alternative way to get your TV channels (and a lot more too !!). I can recommend one.

Chromecasts use your wifi network. The problem with many hotels and other "public" wifi setups is that they block P2P connectivity - blocking one device on the wireless network from talking directly to another device on the same wireless network - which is exactly what the Laptop, Phone or Tablet will need to do to connect to your Chromecast unit.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:The audio version was a very good streamer for linking to a hifi system, especially with its RCA mini Jack doubling as a digital input.

Sound quality was very decent for the price. However with leaps and bounds in technology in this field over the last couple of years its become less favoured in this field.

Are they scrapping a purely audio model altogether now?
Smart speakers are taking over reducing the need for the audio Chromecast. There is a new little Amazon connector, which doesn’t have an on board speaker. It is connected to the main system or speaker by cable or Bluetooth.