Alternative Messaging Apps

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Alternative Messaging Apps

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:32 am

Given that the odious spyware organisation known as Facebook is intending to amalgamate it's Messenger service with Whatsapp, and Instagram in order to enhance its data-mining activities and that the once fantastic Skype has been so comprehensively destroyed by Microsoft that it is now virtually unusable I thought it may be a good idea to discuss the merits of some independent alternatives.

I studiously avoid using any of the aforementioned apps along with the the equally odious Twitter and I am in the fortunate position that most of my acquaintances are more anxious to contact me than I am them so if they wish to do so they have to install my default messaging app which is Telegram. I also use, in order of preference, Signal, Line, Zangi, Viber and Wire.

There are others such as Soma, BBM, JusTalk, Kakao Talk and WeChat but I don't know much about them.

Comments from members would be welcome along with suggestions for other messaging apps.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Alternative Messaging Apps

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:30 am

The problem with using any of the unknowns is no body else uses them. I think half the world use whatsapp especially for contacting someone overseas.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:32 am

ps, I do not have facebook. I refuse but I am wondering now if i have it without knowing it as they track everything on all platforms.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:33 am

I use Whatsapp all the time and really do not want to be part of Facebook etc. If they do not give you the option to opt out of you data being shared on other platforms then I think that is very bad news. I thought with the new data protection laws and being able to choose how your data is being used, that should be an option.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 pm

I also use Telegram & Signal, but admit very few of my contacts have them yet. Only a matter of time before more people start switching I think. Good news from Suckerberg & co for these alternatives I suppose!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:07 pm

I don't see the problem with using WhatsApp as it uses end-to-end encryption which ensures only you and the person you're communicating with can read what's sent.

That isn't likely to change is it?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 pm

According to a tech wizard on the news today the police can’t crack it but everything is logged by the app owners. IE Facebook

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 pm

And also they know your exact location.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:03 pm

If you have GPS off and live location off in settings how does that work ?

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:26 pm

I So Bella tis you

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:04 pm

OK

Do they need to know that an ageing bloke is wandering round Mercadonna, not worth the trouble and do I care ?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Useful data for Carrefour if they're trying to increase sales of Tenamen :lol: I'm sure they'd pay well for the knowledge.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Businesses wanting information from its customers is nothing new.Many people have been using customers loyalty cards for years which send back your spending patterns to supermarkets. You make your choice but no card means no benefits, Back inthe UK, i built up enough points for free flights and with my Eroski card i get to fill up my tank free a couple of times a year.

I will always go with the flow where communication is concerned becauseI have a business where people need to contact me and that’s how just about everyone prefers to do it. I don’t have the luxury of being able to insist that everyone should change for me. As with most things in life it’s a trade off and for me the benfits far outweigh the drawbacks.

WhatsApp is unbelievably useful when you have a group of young students with whom I need to be in constant contact on summer trips. I get peace of mind when all members of the group tell me they have arrived home safely and when one of them gets lost, it’s easy to locate them. Being able to send photos of the kids with smiling faces to the parents to reassure them is another plus.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:59 pm

I've not used it, but is Google Duo an option worth considering. After all, nearly everyone in the world has a Google account.
EDIT
I see that's a video calling option. Don't they have a messenger?
Last edited by knowal on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:01 pm

That's probably what Google thought when they tried to launch a social network, twice... :lolno:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:02 pm

I think it's called Google Allo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSz6FVcxipw

Or how about Google Hangouts? (Rather poorly named IMO)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am

SpanishBlue wrote:I don't see the problem with using WhatsApp as it uses end-to-end encryption which ensures only you and the person you're communicating with can read what's sent.

That isn't likely to change is it?

Even if the messages weren't encrypted my messages aren't of interest to anyone .... a bit like Lyric wandering around Mercadona .... if anyone is interested in what I have just bought in the sales, or a request for the plumber to call, I'm not really that bothered.

The fact that my contacts may be shared with Facebook, or that I may start receiving contacts from others via Facebook is my concern.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Remember Facebook already owns Whatsapp so in a sense already has access to your contacts and it’s already possible for Apps to share information.
My rule of thumb is to deny access to information between apps if asked unless I understand the consequences first.
If it isn’t necessary, then I don’t but sometimes it helps to simplify things. For example, I use Skype to call landlines abroad so allowing Skype access to my phone contacts saves time.

Common sense is important. I use Facebook to promote my business and have a private account to keep me updated with what younger members of my family are up to but I also have in box full of friends requests from aquaintances, which I don’t bother with because I have no interest in their lives.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:03 pm

I despise Facebook. I deleted everything in January 2018 and deactivated my account. It is not possible to delete an account, which I am sure must be a breach of GDPR, as they continue to keep data they do not need.
If Whatsapp is going to rejoin and share with Facebook, I'm going to Google Hangouts. I tested it this morning with my wife and it does text, audio or video calls. You have to invite people to be contacts, initially.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:15 pm

I think it is a bit perverse to use a messaging app that nobody else uses. Whatsapp is the messaging app that most people use, so if you want to stay in touch that's the one you need to use. I am not a big fan of facebook, but lets face it, most of the big messaging apps are owned by the big internet companies, i.e. microsoft, google, apple and facebook.