Adverts

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
casita-bonita
Resident

Adverts

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Is it just me, or maybe because I'm in Turkey at the moment, but over the last few days when I open a thread, and this seems to be only the first thread that I open I get a full screen of what I can only describe as c**p, not even an advert, just c**p. Subsequent threads are OK. If I close the chrome tab and come back a little while later I get c**p again on the first thread opened.

Hasn't happened prior to a few days ago. Being connected to UK by vpn makes no difference.
Regards

Bob

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Adverts

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:09 pm

"Crap" can you be more definitive ?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 pm

My better half was surfing the net and received ads tailored to what I had been viewing moments earlier on a different IP address.

I read that as well as harvesting what you search for, Amazon know what you typed in the address or search bar even ifyou do not hit enter.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Welcome to the real world of the Internet. Someone has to pay for it so you have to put up with the adverts.

It hasn’t stopped people from watching commercial tv, so we just have to get used to. The good bit is the amazing way they manage to tailor the ads to (usually) something pertinent to the individual. At least it’s better than me having to watch tv ads on vaginal lubricants!

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:24 am

One word: cookies.
Advertisers can serve up ads to their preferred audience based on various criteria; language, location, content of pages visited, and all sorts of other information such as gender and age, for example, which most users are blissfully unaware that they have made available. It can seem a bit sinister, but most of the time it's quite innocent really; it's just a rather more sophisticated version of, say, the Costa del Sol News carrying ads in English for businesses who want to target English speaking people based on the Costa del Sol! Sometimes the ads you see make no sense whatsoever. It's not an exact science, and it's obvious that some ad managers are not as good as others at utilising the tools available to them.
You may want to run a program like CCleaner after every browsing session to delete your browser cookies.Alternatively, if the ads bother you, try using a free ad blocker - I'm currently using the Windscribe extension for Chrome. Some sites are wise to this now, and won't let you continue until you disable the ad blocker though.
I've read that Amazon are going to start including free samples in orders they despatch, based on what they think (or know!) you're interested in, so watch out for that vaginal lubricant in your next package of ink cartridges, Sid :wink:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:40 am

El Cid wrote:Welcome to the real world of the Internet. Someone has to pay for it so you have to put up with the adverts.

It hasn’t stopped people from watching commercial tv, so we just have to get used to. The good bit is the amazing way they manage to tailor the ads to (usually) something pertinent to the individual. At least it’s better than me having to watch tv ads on vaginal lubricants!

Sid
Hi Sid. I well I never realised that there was advertising on inter net sites to help pay the cost of service provision. Derrrrrrr.

I expect adverts, nowt for nowt as they say. But this is a full screen that looks nothing like adverts that I've seen before, not for an obvious product, let alone tailored.

I will try and take a screenshot when I figure out how.

The last one was full screen, overlaying the thread and said something like 'Watch free movies when you sign up'. No service product or company names. Wouldn't have thought you were desperate enough to link to pirate movie sites.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:31 am

They are almost certainly nothing to do with this site. As Miro said, try an adblocker. I use Adblock Plus - it's an extension for Chrome.

Sid

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:49 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002b8l

If you have 45 minutes to spare, sit in a quiet place and listen to this BBC Radio 4 episode of Andrew Marr ' start the week, broadcast a couple of weeks ago.
Facinating stuff!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:20 am

I use Block This:

https://block-this.com

It is free and blocks all advertisements including most of those embedded within apps.

You have to download it from the web site and sideload it because it was banned from the Google Play store as it is too efficient at what it does.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:46 am

Just downloaded it and installed it.
Great app for us Android users.
Pity they don't have one for Windows.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Been doing some pondering on the way to the coast. Maybe I should have titled this 'splash screen' rather than 'adverts' which BTW I don't have a problem with unless they become really intrusive.

What I was trying to describe is a full splash screen opening, the contents of which don't appear in the main to be advertising anything in particular. You folks don't seem to be getting them, and I have never seen them at home, nor in fact while we were in Egypt last week. I strongly suspect that this is being inserted by the hotel Internet access points/ proxy that we have connected through at various hotels in Turkey.

Just looked at block_this. Call me paranoid but I don't want a permanent vpn, whose end point I know nothing about monitoring all of my data stream just to remove a few ads. Not to mention the speed hit. Not exactly private and secure is it, which is the whole point of vpn.
Regards

Bob

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Have you seen the bus stop advertising hoardings in the uk that change to something targetted at you , based on your mobile phone, as you approach.

In Australia as you walk by shops the adverts can change to suit you and an offerpings on your phone five dollars off ( something it knows you have been researching) only today, come in now!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Have a screenshot of the c**p but don't see how to make it visible here other than use the img tags to point to some accessible location, which I don't have.
Regards

Bob

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:42 pm

Whilst you have the 'Post Reply' panel open click on 'Attachments' below then 'Add files'.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks. Followed that, select file and it just says 'error' no clue as to what the error is. File is jpg and 700kb
Regards

Bob

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:35 pm

casita-bonita wrote: The last one was full screen, overlaying the thread and said something like 'Watch free movies when you sign up'. No service product or company names. Wouldn't have thought you were desperate enough to link to pirate movie sites.
If it says "watch free movies when you sign up", then it's probably advertising for a free movie site (which will just be a vehicle for more advertising), or just an attempt to obtain data by getting you to "sign up". Either way, it sounds like some sort of marketing, but as Sid has said, it's highly unlikely to be anything to do with A.com. A full page overlay with no reference to the actual advertiser almost certainly would contravene Google's conditions for advertisers (which it would automatically detect pretty quickly), and as far as I can tell from the code this site only carries ads by Google, & maybe Amazon via Alexa. It does rather sound like something to do with the hotel wifi, perhaps some sort of malware, but presumably you are only getting it on A.com though, which does seem strange.
Have you cleared all cookies & browsing history from your browser?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi casita-bonita,

"File is jpg and 700k".................needs to be 400k or under

More info from site FAQ.........

"Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag."

Use ........... https://postimages.org/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Agree with Miro, probably the hotel. I was getting ads in Florida at a Hilton. Was only at the beginning when I logged into their internet but I had to log in every 24 hours. I only get a little ad at the bottom of a.com and is relevant to what I have been looking at, shoes, cruises whatever. Today is called connect wise. Position your business for growth guide, not sure what that relates to though!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:48 pm

If I turn off my adblocker I get an ad for Adobe cloud solutions. If you click on the "ad choices" icon in the corner of any Google ad it will tell you (very vaguely) on what basis you are being delivered that specific ad. In my case, and yours Katy, it's probably keyword based targeting, because there are mentions on this page of VPNs and internet access etc. which may indicate that you have some interest in technology solutions. On the other hand, I'm also getting an "interest based" ad for a firm of lawyers, which baffles me. Like I said, it's not an exact science! But since these are PPC (pay-per-click) ads, if you're not interested you probably won't click on them, and the advertiser won't pay anything. If you find ads irritating, one way to feel a little bit of revenge is to just click on them to make the advertiser pay - with the added benefit that this site gets a small payment as well each time :thumbup: (Of course, this practice will often also lead to an increase in the very same ads following you all over the internet, because statistics do show that the most likely users to purchase, sign up or do whatever action an advertiser wants you to, are the users who already visited the advertiser's site for whatever reason, and gentle reminders can be remarkably effective!)

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 pm

All new to this image editing on android. Found an app and hopefully it'll now post.

Stragely it only seems to happen on a.com. Multiple hotels from Istanbul down to some place on the Med coast where we are now whose name escapes me at the moment.
Splash screen, different every time, but all c**p
Splash screen, different every time, but all c**p
Yeeahhh, looks OK on preview. As they say learn something every day.

As I said I only get this on first thread view. But I do keep getting a pop up saying pop up blocked. Don't want to 'always allow' to find out what they are, possibly more of these as I will then have to figure out how to turn them off again.
Last edited by casita-bonita on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Bob