spam call

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
pensure1988
Resident

spam call

Postby pensure1988 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:12 pm

i am receiving a lot of calls on my landline from a number in Madrid 910609178. It belongs tp Sewan communications however they maybe. I do not answer my phone. How do I block these type calls from ringinging my phone

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: spam call

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Someone here says that it is Jazztel (the telephonic equivalent of a computer virus):

https://www.listaspam.com/busca.php?Telefono=910609178

To block a number on a landline you need something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CPR-Call-Block ... 074&sr=8-3

There is a cheaper one here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamptti-Landli ... 15&sr=8-15

but I don't know if it works as well as the CPR which is the one I have. A reviewer says it doesn't block calls but just displays the number.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 am

We've always had a landline mainly for family/friends in the UK to call us. In any dealings we have in Spain we always give our mobile number as the contact number, so when get landline calls they are likely to be spam especially with a Madrid or Barcelona area code. We had these calls regularly when we were with Iberbanda and now less frequently now we are with Movistar Fusion. We pay a monthly subscription for caller ID, our spam calls are usually around the same time on each day.

terry

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:12 pm

I seem to be constantly getting calls from Madrid 912041600 … When I tell them I only speak a little Spanish they put the phone down, I seem to be getting them daily now, no idea who they are from.. Does anybody recognise this number ?
Thanks

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:07 pm

A lot of comments about this number here:

https://www.listaspam.com/busca.php?Telefono=912041600

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:11 pm

We get them too. We just ignore them.

I wish the authorities would do something about them. Not in the phone companies interest of course. Plus how do you differentiate between genuine marketing and rip offs like the microsoft scam.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:09 am

Answer it,put the phone down ,walk away & leave it connected for 5 minutes before hanging up,

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am

We have tried all manner of approaches including that and stringing them along for ages before announcing “ haven't got a computer”.

Once you have answered a call, their software is clever enough to make calls on successive days at that time.i.e. That is a time when you answer. They just need an operator available.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 am

Olive says "how do you differentiate between genuine marketing and rip offs"
Personally, if I want to investigate buying something I will approach companies. There is no excuse for anybody to try contacting me first - ever.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Hope Spain is better than UK. I now have BT blocker but it is not infallible. Calls vary from selling, insulation, missold a PPI etc. To the sinister ones "we have noticed a problem with your bank account/broadband/computer. The latter ones get you to key instructions which leads to a take over of the computer and your cash! Someone strung the along but not keying in correct instructions and the scammer, got very insulting when he realised.

Last year some Ba accounts were compromised for a few days. Shortly afterwards I booked a flight and when I pressed pay a window came up with contact no. To contact Visa. I was asked some strange questions, not normal ones eg. How long had I had this account. I felt OK about it as the transaction went through. About 3am I woke up and it was niggling me and worried it could have been a scam. Finally called Visa and explained the guy said it was us, get back to bed.

Depending on my mood, I cut the call, swear. Or say something. Some have been rude to me, one called me a mother******. One cold caller actually called me back and said how dare you be rude to me!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Used to love playing with the microsoft scammers. Keep them hanging on then ask them "does your mother know what your doing?" that always went down like a lead ballon. BBC news reporting on a couple of indian call centres shut down after raids and work between microsoft and several organisations. Had one man on who had been scammed by buying antivirus for ten years via a pop up.then they called him and said theres a russian on your comp! Pay us 4 grand and we can protect you. So he paid up! Always loaded middle classes in their big houses on these reports with more money than sense expecting people to feel sorry for them.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:26 pm

Yes I saw that, he was very stupid but brave to admit it. A friend always says to the Indian and African ones "God will never forgive you".
When I go into my bank accounts online now a code is sent to my mobile to enter after entering password etc. Bit of a pain as my phone is often not charged so have to do it later but it is good to have another level of security

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:44 am

Sign up for the Lista Robinson, it's the oddly named Spanish database against unsolicited publicity. Google it for more or https://www.listarobinson.es/

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:39 pm

A bit different but has anyone seen the new BBC series "Love or Money"? Internet dating scams. All have a similar pattern, fake identity, working in Iraq etc. Can't believe that so many are so gullible. They chat to someone for a few weeks on the web, never met them and send them money. :crazy: Some have taken out loans to keep sending them money. One retired hairdresser lost hundreds of thousands as he wanted to but a home so they could live together! Even if he had been genuine who would contemplate living with someone they have never met
Strange this morning I was watching it and received a scam call that my internet will be cut off today. I just told him where to go, not very politely :mrgreen: