Spanish TV changing because of 5G??

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

Spanish TV changing because of 5G??

Postby fyfin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:18 pm

I've just been told by our administrator that our communal Spanish TV system will lose channels unless we pay €350 to modify existing equipment.
The other option is to have new equipment installed at €460 but we can get a grant from the Government if we go that route.
Apparently it's all to do with 5G but I thought that related to mobile phones and internet so I am slightly confused and wonder if it's some sort of con.
Has anyone else come across this?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: Spanish TV changing because of 5G??

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:06 pm

Just like when 4g was introduced, certain frequencies currently being used for terrestrial TV will be used for 5g.
Channels in the affected frequency bands ( 694-790 MHz UHF band ie channels 50 - 60, inc the RTVE channels on 58 - 770 MHz) will be relocated to other frequencies below 690MHz)
In theory no change in equipment should be required for many...just a rescan for channels once they change.
Most community systems with programmable amplifiers will need to be reprogrammed.
Those community systems that use individual "module" for certain frequencies , will need the modules updating or even replaced with new modules with the new frequencies.
Communities affected can get a small grant to help with any new equipment required.
The frequencies are scheduled to be cleared by June 2020...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:17 pm

Many thanks. I was told it had to be done before the end of this year as the channels are disappearing soon.
I wanted to wait til January when we would have more funds.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:58 am

fyfin wrote:...unless we pay €350...installed at €460
Is that per household ? :eek:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:09 am

There's 31 apartments so that's the total cost to the community to come out of community funds. I dont know if individual houses with standard aerials are affected.