Windows 7 January 14th 2020

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Windows 7 January 14th 2020

Postby Enrique » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi,
Example:
I've recently upgraded a Toshiba Satellite laptop circa 2007 (originally running Vista that had been upgraded to Windows 7) , it now runs Windows 10 and runs as well as it did with Windows 7.

The following are my notes............

Why you may want to do the following

January 14th 2020 Windows 7 End of Life (EOF)
Microsoft will/may stop Security updates depending who you read.
Like XP before leading Browsers will not support EOF systems in the future.

Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10
#Coreinfo
You only really need to do the Coreinfo section if upgrading a system that was built circa 2005
Yes systems this old are still running, I've one with Windows 10 and the other will be running Linux after January 14th as it doesn't support NX

First check your system is Windows 10 ready
This saves you wasting time to find your system doesn't support NX, PAE SSE2

Download Coreinfo from........

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/coreinfo

Extract files
Start cmd
Set your default folder to where the above Extracted files are
Type coreinfo
Check there are * for the following
NX , PAE , SSE2
These have been around since 2003 but not all CPU's implemented NX
IF NX not * then check in the BIOS to see if you can enable it, if not then you're stuck with Windows 7 or going to Linux

#Start N.B. If your system is good to go then do an Image Backup to external disk..............you do these regularly anyway....yes ?

As it's an Upgrade it keeps your Files.

Follow the instructions in this link............

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... heres-how/

When all done and dusted check System is Activated with a Digital License.

If you would like to ask about your specific system and alternative options please PM me ............this will keep El Cid of my radar.... :angel:

Happy Computing New Year................... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Windows 7 January 14th 2020

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Enrique, it is very generous of you to offer your help on a subject that a lot of members will be concerned about.

Can I suggest that when you have some specific information (such as that above), that you post this on this thread, but if you are prepared to handle individual requests for help, that your offer to help by using the PM system is probably more appropriate.

Can I ask members to ensure that all posts on this subject are restricted to this thread, otherwise multiple threads could get very confusing.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:17 am

Hi all, on a related item does anyone know why my L G cellphone using android should be having problems with whatsapp as from 01/01/2020, it appears to be not sending msm's or images ??

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Manchesteral wrote:Hi all, on a related item does anyone know why my L G cellphone using android should be having problems with whatsapp as from 01/01/2020, it appears to be not sending msm's or images ??
It's not related to this thread in any way. Please post in a seperate new thread and include your Android version.

Sid