Compact cameras

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Compact cameras

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Any recommendations for a compact point and shoot for now more than €250. Image quality is the most important thing. Dont need a massive zoom. Need something with a smaller M.P count or where I can change the count on the camera settings (difficult to see if you can on many) due to a slow internet connection

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 sticks out at the min when looking but theres such a huge choice and I have been bitten once before with a past faulty buy. Have an old samsung S1030 bought back in 2007! which is falling apart but takes great pictures.bought a spare one off ebay for a tenner which has lasted a few years but thats on its last legs now. Difficult picking a camera when you cant try before you buy so to speak!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Compact cameras

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:28 pm

elusive wrote:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 sticks out at the min ...
Recently been tidying up some cupboards and found a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 that I bought for my wife many years ago. :thumbup:
Charged the battery and had a play with it.
It's a very nice and versatile camera, nice small compact size.
Easy to select the picture size and quality.
For a standard 4:3 ratio size, you can select 0.3M 640X480size, 5M 2560
X1920 or 12M 4000X3000
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:13 pm

£250 is way more than you need to pay for the spec you want. Now that everyone uses their phones as cameras, the demand for cheap simple compacts has collapsed in favour of much higher spec semi pro compacts. Just google “best budget compact cameras”. I still have a Panasonic tz10 which is still a great camera. If you want Internet connectivity you can buy a memory card with WiFi built in.

The only real reason to buy a separate camera is for good quality zoom which, so far, is not really available on phone cameras. It won’t be long before that changes and reasonably powerful optical (rather than digital) zooms are available on phones - at a high price.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Thanks gerrys for the info

Ive googled for budget but theres very few reviews and info. Its all all around more expensive ones. Ive got a very basic coolpix (around £80) as a freebie spare but the image quality isnt great/shutter speed is slow compaired to my old samsung. To me you prob get what you pay for. Theres so many diff models its like looking for a needle when searching.

I take 100's of photos when on trips. Phone cameras are of no use to me bar to take the odd photo .i like a proper camera in my hand

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:46 pm

Few reviews? I don’t think so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=budget+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Sid

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:22 am

Hi
I bought a Canon Powershot SX620 HS for £340.00 2 years ago. It has 25x digital zoom with wifi capability. I can easily download photos to laptop or mobile phone. Feature I like most is that I can zoom out to
100x the focal length and see people on their yachts out in the Mediterranean Sea. I am sorry it is a great little camera with Lithium Battery but out of your price range. Particular Camera has been superceded with another one.

David

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:49 am

Already looked at them sid thanks i did lots of googling before asking the question. Poor reviews, needs to be able to be bought in a shop here. So that reduces the choice. Finding info on being able to change the resoloution etc.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 am

pensure1988 wrote:Hi
I bought a Canon Powershot SX620 HS for £340.00 2 years ago. It has 25x digital zoom with wifi capability. I can easily download photos to laptop or mobile phone. Feature I like most is that I can zoom out to
100x the focal length and see people on their yachts out in the Mediterranean Sea. I am sorry it is a great little camera with Lithium Battery but out of your price range. Particular Camera has been superceded with another one.

David
Thanks david. Im actually looking at that one aswell as it can be bought for €220 now. But although i know the picture resloution has four different choices googling doesnt list them. Could you tell me what the four different sizes (frames and M.P are) also whats the picture quality like?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:52 pm

I have a Panasonic DMC LX5. Brilliant camera.