Car Insurance

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
fincalospinos
Resident

Car Insurance

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:54 pm

I know that this subject has been covered many times in the past, but times and companies change, and I am seeking some up to date information.
My car insurance is up for renewal and I have been getting some quotes to compare. I have been with my current company for a number of years and in the past they have been fairly competitive, however some of the like for like quotes that I am getting are some 30% cheaper !!
Two companies in particular, Abbeygate and Linea Directa, seem very competitive. I have always been of the mind " The Devil you know" and all that, but at 30% difference I need to think again.
I would like to hear from anyone who is insured with either of these two companies as to the type of service they provide, particularly if a claim is made, and also any other recommendations that forum members may be able to give.
Hardworking resident !!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Insurance

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:28 pm

My vehicles have been insured with Linea Directa for several years.

I have only had one claim which was for a roadside breakdown. They had a tow-truck with me within twenty minutes which took the vehicle to my own garage about 50km away. They also provided me with a taxi to take me home and offered me a courtesy car which I didn't need.

All with no loss of no-claims bonus.
Let's go Brandon!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Thank you Beachcomber, thats exactly the kind of information that I am after.
Hardworking resident !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:45 pm

I have had 4 claims with LD in the last 12 years.

Every time the claim was handled to a level that exceeded my wildest expectations.

I can say no more than that.

The premium is not the issue - it's how they handle a claim and LD are, in my experience, as perfect as you could possibly expect.

Sid

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:58 pm

[quote="El Cid"

The premium is not the issue - it's how they handle a claim and LD are, in my experience, as perfect as you could possibly expect.

Sid[/quote]

Thank you Cid, thats exactly the reason why I am checking them out because I have had similar service from my current insurer. If the price difference had been around 10% I wouldn't have been considering change, but 30% !!
Hardworking resident !!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:09 pm

One claim only with LD. I phoned them when my car refused to start in Nerja. The helpful lady on the phone said I'd receive a text saying when the breakdown van would arrive. Text arrived within minutes and a van shortly afterwards. It was a battery problem. He got the car battery boosted and said I'd need a new battery. I told him I was just going to drive the car the garage in Frigiliana. He gave me his mobile number in case the car conked out. Excellent service.
Dave

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Mowser wrote:One claim only with LD. I phoned them when my car refused to start in Nerja. The helpful lady on the phone said I'd receive a text saying when the breakdown van would arrive. Text arrived within minutes and a van shortly afterwards. It was a battery problem. He got the car battery boosted and said I'd need a new battery. I told him I was just going to drive the car the garage in Frigiliana. He gave me his mobile number in case the car conked out. Excellent service.
I note from Mowsers reply, and Beachcombers, that their problem was a breakdown issue, not an accident.
Is this included as standard in an LD comprehensive policy ?
Hardworking resident !!

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:30 am

I have a LD comprehensive policy and according to my paperwork, breakdown cover is included as standard.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:00 am

Breakdown cover is included in most, if not all, Spanish insurance policies.
I have been with four different companies, all included breakdown cover. Some just Third party.
I could have opted out of the breakdown cover and saved about €30 but I don't think it is sensible not to have breakdown cover.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:15 pm

One reason is that it is illegal to tow a car in Spain so the only option is to call out the recovery vehicle - expensive if you don't have that cover.

Sid