Driving licence expiry dates...

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
rafiki
Resident

Driving licence expiry dates...

Postby rafiki » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:10 pm

My Spanish driving licence has a December 2014 date shown on the front. On the reverse most of the classes also show that as the expiry date except for classes C and C1E and btp which expire August 2013. Those two classes C and C1E look like they are those small 7.5 tonner lorries and with a trailer. Not sure what btp is. If I don't renew those three classes now will they be reinstated when I renew in Dec 2014?

I guess not renewing btp, C and C1E now will not invalidate the whole license now?
Brian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Driving licence expiry dates...

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:50 pm

I think you need to renew them now or you will lose them.

This happened to me when I first had a licence. After 3 years I got a letter telling me that they were due for renewal and that if I didn't they could not be renewed in future . You would have to get the certificate of eligibility from the DVLA to get them put back on.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks Sid. Supplementary to that: if I do renew them now will all the other classes renew too (renewal in Dec 2014 is because of my 70th birthday).
Brian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:03 pm

rafiki wrote:Thanks Sid. Supplementary to that: if I do renew them now will all the other classes renew too (renewal in Dec 2014 is because of my 70th birthday).

They will tell you when you have the medical.

Antyhing can happen. I have to renew mine every 3 years so last time I paid 3 fifths of the price and they sent it off. It came back valid for 5 years!

It's the same all over. I took my 11 year old car in for an ITV and they stamped it up and gave me a sticker for 2 years hence!

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:09 pm

The three classes with expiry in August should be renewed the day after tomorrow (mea culpa). I will not be able to make that. Is there a grace period for renewal?
Brian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:34 pm

I doubt it and it would only be a problem if you were stopped.

It's a serious offence to drive without a licence but an out of date one is less of a problem.

It certainly won't prevent you from renewing it.The medical centre do all the processing for you and the new one arrives in the post in two weeks or less.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Much obliged Sid.
Brian.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 pm

I let mine lapse last time & they were all renewed last January. They'll now run out in 2018 though all the rest run until 2023. I'll renew the lot in 2018 though.
Todos somos Lorca.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks Gus. As Sid says it can vary with which office deals with it. I think I am going to have to let them lapse because I can't go for the medical until next week, it's August and I need a licence in early Sep to hire a car. I might try playing innocent on my return and see if it can be renewed then when there is more time and offices are back to 'normal'.
Brian.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:06 am

rafiki wrote:Thanks Sid. Supplementary to that: if I do renew them now will all the other classes renew too (renewal in Dec 2014 is because of my 70th birthday).

Brian you are kidding 70 ? you can't be 70 :)

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:32 am

Afraid so Val. Next year December!
Brian.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Bit of an old thread but i would like any of your opinions on licences like the o.p that have 5 years length for driving a lorry etc and ten years for the standard car licence. ive read that even if you dont drive a lorry you still have to renew your licence after five years even though you still have another five years left on the front of your licence and for the car section. surely you only need to renew the lorry section if you intend to drive one. as you are,acvording to your licence still legal to drive a car

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:06 am

That is correct, you are still licenced to drive a car after your HGV licence expires.
I was in this position a few years ago whereby I was due the medical to renew my HGV licence.
Because I no longer needed to drive trucks after retiring I contacted the dvla for clarification and was told to ignore the medical notification, the HGV part of my licence would then expire, but my licence to drive a car was still valid up to the full 10yrs.

Further to this I swapped my UK licence for a Spanish one a couple of years later and was surprised to see that my HGV entitlement had been restored for another 5yrs (not that I will be using it) :lolno: