Buying a Used Car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Buying a Used Car

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Interesting. The form 030 declares you as a tax resident.

Many people want to buy a car for their holidays in Spain and that is where the problem arises. Officially you can only buy a car if you are a resident that that actually means that you live permanently in Spain and pay tax in Spain.

However, the rules are often relaxed and just a Padron certificate is accepted. Although signing on the Padron does declare that you live predominately in Spain ( and that means that you should be treated as tax resident) the systems are not connected and you can get away with it.

Personally, I think it is only a matter of time before the two systems are connected and many non residents who have signed on the Padron will get a tax demand from the Spanish taxman with fines for not making tax declarations in the past.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:35 pm

Spartacus wrote:Okay, been googling what the Padron is so a little wiser. Question. One of the options I have is to buy a Spanish registered and plated veh for sale in UK which there are surprisingly quite a number. Are there any pitfalls with this idea? :think:
Yes, there are loads of problems.

The car may have fines attached to it and unpaid tax etc. Also, it will be very difficult to transfer ownership without all the Spanish paperwork (signed by the original Spanish owner) and fees that are necessary.

It can be done, but if you are not a resident it may be difficult to get it registered in your name.

Sid

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:47 pm

Okay well that killed that idea dead lol. Sid when I googled the padron it did say that the recognized work around to purchase a vehicle is to register on the padron and then de-register. Not ideal but the fact is at present there is no correct way. Whats your thoughts?

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:53 pm

Spanishnewstoday.com was the site google took me too!

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:57 pm

Just to muddy the waters.
In the past 8 yrs I have bought 2 used cars from 2 different dealers and all that was needed was my NIE number, a copy of my passport for ID and proof of address in the form of a utility bill in my name. No mention was made of a padron certificate. Both purchases were also made during my time as a none-resident.
I suppose it all depends on the area you are buying and the dealers take on current regulations.

This being Spain there is probably no definitive answer. :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 am

Spartacus wrote:Okay well that killed that idea dead lol. Sid when I googled the padron it did say that the recognized work around to purchase a vehicle is to register on the padron and then de-register. Not ideal but the fact is at present there is no correct way. Whats your thoughts?
Yes, you could do that, but first I would check locally with a car dealer to find out just what the situation is.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 pm

When we did the rounds of dealerships and second hand garages the padron always got mentioned as been needed.

Fileing the 030 did take us by surprise, the dealer aswell! he only told us at the last minute after being told by his bosses. something to do with the amount of thousands of euros we were spending.and i needed to file it to have the car registared in my name.Id never heard of that before but luckily it was easy to do and showed on the system straight away.