Warning Light In Car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Warning Light In Car

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Cotton bud, alcohol (the sort girlies use for makeup removal), wipe gently.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Ive been quoted €271 plus €27 labour.

Not exactly £25, when it comes to cars, spain is such a con. If i was still in the uk Id get a replacement car rather than continue to keep this one going.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:36 pm

What bit is costing 271e John?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:35 am

the part, the sensor.

from feuvert.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:43 am

Not this part surely John?

http://tinyurl.com/oo7ej8y

Simple to fit if it is.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:37 am

If it is the MAF , they are easy to fit. You can even buy the clone sensor and fiddle about and mount it in the housing.

However the clone parts have a habit of not lasting very long - year or so.

The genuine part is quite expensive. I can believe a quote (here) of 271.

Another possibility is to visit a car recycler. Your MAF will have a number on the body. The engine will be the same as fitted to different GM cars.

Depends on how long you are keeping the vehicle.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:19 am

As an above poster said, 25 quid should sort the problem easily if it's just the air flow sensor. I'd still bet the one in my link would do the job.

I'd agree some after market parts are crap, but I'd say it's mainly things like wishbones and brake discs that are the false economy, not these small universally used electrical items.

I've given up telling people they've no need to pay fortunes for lambda sensors when the same ones are available for 15 quid, exactly the same ones.
You are paying for the loom and that's where these different part numbers come from on what is basically a universal part. Snip 3 or 4 wires and you're a £100 in pocket.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Hmm will disregard the spam just a question about above topic. Oh it's vanished.

I know nothing about cars but re. Warning light. Two friends, who do not know each other, have the same car. Both cars are Jaguar, just a few year old and both have problems with a sensor which is something to do with emissions :think: bit of a coincidence.

M was travelling to Cumbria when light came on, recently had service. Had adjustment at a Garage in North but light kept coming on when returning home. Went into Jag dealer and still had same problem. A few weeks later was told it would cost over £6000 to rectify. :shock: now in dispute with Jaguar as just out of guarantee.

D has similar problem and has been quoted around £2500 also blaming emissions. has been driving it untested for 4 months as she doesn’t want to pay it. (A bit eccentric) She has now been offered £22,000 by one of these buy any car places, she paid £75,000 new about 4 years ago.

Any ideas?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Could be the Catalist playing up or a Lambda sensor. The cat is very expensive, the sensor much less. We buy any car will check the car and if engine management light is on they will not honour there unseen offer.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:37 pm

My original post about cleaning the sensor - it worked, and we sold the car with our house in 2017 having had no more problems. The buyer has contacted me since to as about little things with house and car and has not mentioned this, so safe to assume all is still well.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Katy, if those Jags are Diesel it'll be the DPF I'm betting the garage is on about.....especially at the price they're talking.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:10 pm

Interesting. I googled :mrgreen: Sounds like it. Don't know how M got on with his dispute with Jaguar as he is in SA right now but a month ago he was driving his wife's mini. Repairs are a rip off around here though. Glad I haven't got an expensive car. 8)

Just a thought, always fancied a vintage car, what happens to them with all the new regs?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:05 am

katy wrote:
Just a thought, always fancied a vintage car, what happens to them with all the new regs?
Not a lot in our life times Katy. Oh and what do you fancy? Always ask Uncle Kenny before dabbling :mrgreen:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:35 am

MAF sensor failed on my Merc ML putting it into intermittant limp mode. Tricky to diagnose as no fault was logged. Bought a replavement off ebay for 20something quid which sorted the problem. Easy to change, or quick job for a garage.
Regards

Bob

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:
katy wrote:
Not a lot in our life times Katy. Oh and what do you fancy? Always ask Uncle Kenny before dabbling :mrgreen:
Certainly would but I think it is just a pipe dream :D seem ideal for those who are knowledgable about cars. Quite a lot in this area around the Lanes, I linger longingly at country shows.