Car Hire Malaga Airport

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Bill Caleta
Tourist

Car Hire Malaga Airport

Postby Bill Caleta » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi All

I realise it maybe a difficult question but I would be very grateful for any recommendations for car rental from Malaga airport please

Thanks

Bill

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Hire Malaga Airport

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Hi Bill,
Welcome to The Forum................. :D
Loads of Post on Málaga Car hire............. use the Forum Search ............. i.e. car hire

Recent one....................

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... re#p395842
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:07 am

If the price looks too good to be true it will be. Expect to part with 1200 euros deposit on your card with the real cheap hire companies. The big boys like Helle Holis charge more but are less of a rip off and are more transparent on there web sites.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:26 am

Malaga car and hellie hollis are prob the most respected. Goldcar are prob the least

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:23 pm

costakid wrote:If the price looks too good to be true it will be. Expect to part with 1200 euros deposit on your card with the real cheap hire companies. The big boys like Helle Holis charge more but are less of a rip off and are more transparent on there web sites.
No, you don't "part" with 1200€. They block it on your card, effectively reducing your credit limit - you neither part with the money or pay conversion fees at the end.

Until a year or so ago Goldcar were awful. However last March i hired a car of them for a week for €1.50!. I just said no to their insurance and brought it back full of fuel. I was expecting a big punch up about both that and finding dents and scratches, but no all very polite and efficient. Last month hired from OK cars a week for a nice fiat 500 for €6.50, again declined insurance, brought it back full and no problems. Again very polite.

So don't believe horror stories from people who have not used these companies in the last year.

I would also, though, endorse Helle and Malagacar as very good companies, although the last car i got from Malagacar was in frightful condition.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:29 pm

ashtondav wrote:
costakid wrote:If the price looks too good to be true it will be. Expect to part with 1200 euros deposit on your card with the real cheap hire companies. The big boys like Helle Holis charge more but are less of a rip off and are more transparent on there web sites.
No, you don't "part" with 1200€. They block it on your card, effectively reducing your credit limit - you neither part with the money or pay conversion fees at the end.

Of course you part with 1200 euros because if your limit is 1500 you only temporarily have 300 left. You get it back but you have effectively spent it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:34 pm

I always get my own excess insurance policy (I use https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ ) and never take the car hire company's one which is far more expensive. You'll still the excess deposit blocked on your credit card but it cuts down the extra cost and gives me peace of mind.

A friend has been ripped off by Goldcar recently with the usual 'damage' claim which she only found out about when she checked her bank statement when she got back home. When she dropped it off at Malaga airport they said that there were no problems.

Having said that, Hertz tried it on with me at Gatwick last year charging me an extra day saying I had taken it back late. The office was shut with only a drop off box for keys, but luckily I had kept the car park ticket which proved the time I returned it. Again, I only found out when checking my credit card account .... no email was received. I was disappointed as I am a Goldcard holder and usually get really good service from them. As a sideline, I see that carhire in the UK is really expensive now using the 'better' companies. It is making our annual trip back very pricey.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:02 pm

costakid wrote:
ashtondav wrote:

Of course you part with 1200 euros because if your limit is 1500 you only temporarily have 300 left. You get it back but you have effectively spent it.
Sorry. If you only have 1 card and only a 1500 limit then you have a problem if you want to spend more than €300.

Otherwise it's not.

Anyway if you decline the insurance Malagacar and Helle have the same policy.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Wicksey wrote:I always get my own excess insurance policy (I use https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ ) and never take the car hire company's one which is far more expensive. You'll still the excess deposit blocked on your credit card but it cuts down the extra cost and gives me peace of mind.

A friend has been ripped off by Goldcar recently with the usual 'damage' claim which she only found out about when she checked her bank statement when she got back home. When she dropped it off at Malaga airport they said that there were no problems.

Having said that, Hertz tried it on with me at Gatwick last year charging me an extra day saying I had taken it back late. The office was shut with only a drop off box for keys, but luckily I had kept the car park ticket which proved the time I returned it. Again, I only found out when checking my credit card account .... no email was received. I was disappointed as I am a Goldcard holder and usually get really good service from them. As a sideline, I see that carhire in the UK is really expensive now using the 'better' companies. It is making our annual trip back very pricey.
With OK cars they insisted i photo every panel to avoid any arguments. But their inspection was still pretty quick

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 pm

ashtondav wrote:
costakid wrote:
ashtondav wrote:

Sorry. If you only have 1 card and only a 1500 limit then you have a problem if you want to spend more than €300.

Otherwise it's not.

Anyway if you decline the insurance Malagacar and Helle have the same policy.
I was using those figures as an example. Fact is you still have to part with the deposit and hope to get it back.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:19 pm

I too have used "OK" We hired with them on several occasions at Granada airport, each time the cars were in excellent condition and the last time they upgraded us FOC to the highest spec Pergeot Suv 3008 which had 8 kilomtrs on the clock...I have noticed that they are now operating out of Malaga but i have not used them yet...
Our last carhire was with cargest and they were also excellent... The best 9 seater we ever had and we have had several of those was with Marbelsol..The worst car we have had out of 8 different carhire companies was with Malagacar.com who were also the only carhire company out of 8 others we have used where we have had a bad experience. I think everyone will have their own story...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

You don't part with it, anyway its the same with Helle and Malagacar if you decline their insurance, so no difference.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 pm

I had 1200 taken out of my account with Malagacar because I had my own insurance. I have written of my experience of my latest hire at New Year a few posts down on 'Car Hire Malaga or Gibraltar airport@. Have a look

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Ok, you dont part with your money. Lets do it another way. You have a 1500 limit on your credit card and you hire a car in Malaga and leave a 1200 deposit. How much of your original 1500 have you got to spend?? It aint rocket science and you dont need to be a mathematician to work it out. You must be having a really bad day.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:03 am

Interesting stories. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to do that. If somebody was going to charge me EUR 10 or less for a weeks car hire, I would feel sure they had some scheme to scam some real money out of me some other way, as obviously the €1.50 or €6.50 does not cover their expenses.

You apparently were not scammed and instead just got a "too good to be true" deal, so I'm wondering how that come about. Are they just assuming everyone will buy their overpriced insurance and they will get their income that way? Andif someone has his own insurance already and declines the presumably strong pressure to buy their expensive insurance, the whole thing falls apart and you end up with a "too good to be true" deal instead? Or is there something more to this?

Curious.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:01 am

There are some brilliant deals to be had in the winter months but a tenner a week seems too good to be true. I know the deals are good because the hire companies have more cars than parking spaces so anything is better than nothing. One thing for sure is those prices are never available at easter or in the summer season. I guess its a numbers game and rather than part with a big excess most opt for the rip off daily rate insurance.

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 am

Many thanks for all your replies - I knew it wouldn’t be straight forward!
We have gone with malagacar - seems mid priced - see how it goes!!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:16 pm

Good decision. Report back - especially if there are queues at the desk.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:37 pm

I have fed back myexperience of chrispoolerentals

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 pm

maureenscot wrote:I had 1200 taken out of my account with Malagacar because I had my own insurance. I have written of my experience of my latest hire at New Year a few posts down on 'Car Hire Malaga or Gibraltar airport@. Have a look
No. you didn't have 1200€ "taken out" of your account. It was blocked against your account, in other words reducing the credit available on THAT card by 1200€. Nothing was deducted and nothing was refunded. It merely reserved the right to charge you if you returned a bashed up car.

If it had been "taken out" of your account you would have incurred exchange rate (and possibly other) charges when returning the vehicle. It seems the distinction is hard to understand - which benefits those who take the time to understand.