ITV questions

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

ITV questions

Postby olive » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Fourth attempt to post this! So here is just the bones of the questions

How do they test electric handbrakes?

Is there a requirement for a spare wheel, jack and brace OR in date tube of goo and working pump?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: ITV questions

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Never had my spare wheel, jack or brace looked at or asked for on either mine or my wife's car.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi olive ,

there is a Post Timeout problem you have to be very quick...........

Some light reading on Electronic Parking Brake Testing...............

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/articles/75

Interesting how they do it in Spain..............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:00 pm

olive wrote:How do they test electric handbrakes?
This is the "brakes" testing procedure:

You move your front wheels onto the rollers, when the rollers start moving and the machine "registers" that the car is there (you´ll see the guages on the screen move) the tester will tell you to "brake until you get into the yellow and hold it there" - so basically you put your foot on the brakes gently, the machine registers it and displays it. you hold your foot still for about 20 seconds, then the tester will say "a fondo" and you push it to the bottom - the rollers stop or not, it doesnt matter, it registers.

then you move the car forward and do the same for the back wheels.

then comes the hand brake. you just wait for him to say (you´ll see a symbol of a handbrake in between the two dials) and you just pull the handrake up slowly, or in your case, press the button.

the scary thing is, the brake effeciency doesnt matter, as long as they are equally as bad. they have only this year actually started looking at brake pads etc, and I had one car fail last week because "you could push the brakes and nothing will happen, its very dangerous!"
olive wrote:Is there a requirement for a spare wheel, jack and brace OR in date tube of goo and working pump?
as far as i know, no.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:23 pm

Most modern cars dont have a spare wheel. The pump and tyre sealant are optional.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:16 am

My Range Rover Classic has a transmission handbrake which doesn't seem to operate on their machinery in Malaga. It has proved quite funny some years, even once having to get my "failed" certificate recinded by the supervisor by taking him and the mechanic out to the car park and making him try to pull away with handbrake on.
I do hate electric handbrakes, can't think why they invented them ...doesn't seem right to just pull away with the hand brake still on doing a hill start. Strange.
also,Never had my Spare, jack etc checked at ITV in 20 years.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 am

olive wrote:How do they test electric handbrakes?

On mine, it can be used as an emergency handbrake by pulling up the button/lever and holding it up. Just release when finished.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Sid. Is that on a VAG vehicle? If so I guess it wil be the same across their marques.

Country Boy. I share your distaste for electronic handbrakes. It doesn’t seem mechanically sound. The numerous interlocks drive me mad e.g. open the door and the handbrake is applied, seatbelt off and the auto handbrake feature doesn’t work etc etc.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:11 pm

Yes, its a SEAT Ateca. I only ever use it as a parking brake when parked. If I need to hold the car at traffic lights, for example, I can use the Autohold button. Most of the time I use the footbrake as it is a DSG box so it cannot roll back unless it is on a steep slope.

Yes, they are getting a bit too clever, almost obtrusive. My Start/Stop has stopped working - a great improvement!

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Without trying to sound smart Sid stop start only works above a certain temperature. I guess it is over 11 degrees in your village so it may have packed up but I had it on a Mercedes and took it into the garage and they told me it won’t work because its winter and freezing.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi,
Some light reading on Stop/Start................

https://blog.greenflag.com/2019/expert- ... t-working/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:42 pm

It hasn’t worked all year, so that blows the cold weather theory. What determines whether it works or not is the battery voltage which I checked.

I was going to alter the trigger voltage via the OBD port to disable it but I haven’t needed to.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:54 pm

Ah the vagaries of electronics. I am still to figure out where Cavin Harris blares out from on start up or why the media centre likes my iphone but detests my partners iphone. But I digress.

Oh for a permanent setting “ disable stop start”. I always forget until the first junction. Batteries aren’t cheap at around 140 euros.

My dad has a stop start Ford he uses for short journeys. His battery failed within a year from new but wasn't covered apparently as he didn’t drive enough each day and he used too many accessories like his heated seat and heated steering wheel and heating!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:10 am

Having read all this angst I am glad that I have a thirty five year old Suzuki Santana.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Our new car has stop/start but we wouldn't have bought it unless we could switch it off. As you say, it's just remembering to do it each time.

A friend had it on his automatic VW Golf and his new battery was 300€, the car stopped all the time even when he'd just stopped for a second at a roundabout. Mind you the way I drive it never usually works for me. I had been driving a hire car for about 5 days before it suddenly switched off at some roadworks' traffic lights and I realised I had that facility.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:57 pm

Depending on your car, there are lots of settings that you can change using a little device called Carista with an accompanying phone app. https://caristaapp.com/

VAG cars are particularly easy to modify. You can do things like turning off the seatbelt warnings and loads of other things including turning off the Start/Stop.

Sid