Pain killers for dogs ?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
10RDan
Resident

Pain killers for dogs ?

Postby 10RDan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:53 am

Can human pain killers, in very small doses, be given to a dog ? If not can anyone suggest one that will help pain from arthritis.

Thanks

murbisa
Resident

Re: Pain killers for dogs ?

Postby murbisa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:55 am

You can give asprin but do not ever give ibuprofen. Better to go to the vet and get som rimadyl.
We have an old pug nearly off his legs with arthritis and every so often when he is bad he has a 10 day course of metacam, which is basically the same as rimadyl. There is a new product on the market called umove which breeders in the uk are swearing by.(not a drug). Our dog also has glucosamine and condrotin tablets, one a day, which have helpted enormously. I get the ones called cosequin from the vet. The quality of the glucosamine is not so good in the cheap ones you can buy on mail order.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:04 pm

My dog was on Ibuprofen for 5 years for the same thing, it was given to her by the vet, and appeared to help tremendously.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:52 pm

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5228848_ca ... ofen_.html
Just one of many websites saying the same thing Julie.
I was told by my vet never to give it and only asprin in small doses. much safer to use painkillers supplied by the vet.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Our Polly (16 years old JR) has been on Meloxidyl liquid for arthritis for a few years now. It gave her a new lease of life I'm sure. She's like a puppy again!
Brian.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Meloxidyl is metacam just under a different manufacturers name. We are lucky at the moment not to have to use it constantly but the time is getting nearer. It has side effects like everything else but you have to weigh up the odds. Our Ivor is getting worse. He had Legge Perthes disease when he was young and had to have the ball joint removed from the top of his leg to allow the blood flow. Now in old age he is using his back legs less and less and has good days and bad days.
You are lucky that Polly has tolerated the metacam for so long and lovely to hear she is doing so well on it. I just hope Ivor will do the same when the time comes. Bringing him to the warmth of Spain has helped him a lot.
Are you giving her glucosamine rafiki? If not I would try it.

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Is Meloxidyl / Metacam available in Spain, if so, where ?

Is it only available from a vet ?

Cheers

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:52 pm

It is on prescription only in UK. We brought a small supply with us but not sure about Spain yet.
Brian.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Yes you get it from the vet here. It comes in liquid form and you put it on their food. Or you can get rimadyl tablets which are basically the same. But you must never give any painkiller to a dog on an empty stomach. Always give with food. I buy it from the vets without even having to see the vet.

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:55 pm

murbisa wrote:Yes you get it from the vet here.
Is "here" Spain ?

I'll try that then.

Thanks

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Yes here is Spain.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Our local spanish vet recommends glucosamine and we buy sticks from pet shop if he is really bad as it triggers a faster response and he has glucosamine and chondroitin daily.......

crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby crazydiamond » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:26 pm

We give our elderly dog Devil's Claw, it is a herbal painkiller and anti-inflamatory. One tablet in his feed each day and you can get it from any Herboristeria, it's Harpagofito in Spanish. The lady in our local Herboristeria recommended it and said it was safe for animals. Try googling it for more information.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:16 pm

I have just started my old dog (13 on Wednesday) on devil's claw.

Any experience of when any improvement may be seen? His back legs are none too good, but seems to have no pain. Just old age I think.

Cheers folks. :thumbup:

brightonion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brightonion » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:40 pm

For many years now as soon as my older dogs start getting a bit stiff when walking I treat them to a bioflow collar (magnet). Within days they are like new dogs,they keep the collars on all the time. I am not sure why they seem to work so well on dogs, never did me much good, but it is amazing to see the difference. If the dog has a specific medical condition I can't comment about that.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Magnets are quackery be it for humans or dogs, scientifically impossible. You may read a lot of stuff on the web about the miracle cures of these but there are also an awful lot of people selling the magnet stuff...geddit.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 pm

I'll try the Devil's Claw for while first, otherwise it is hard to see what is having an effect. I'm taking it too, so a double trial!

In any case, a sloppy old big-eyed Golden is magnetic enough! :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:41 pm

Why not go to the vet and get some proper pain killers rather than mess around with magnets and herbal potions?

It seems a no brainer to me.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Sid,

He is in no pain, his back legs just 'go' occasionally. I do not want him to be taking drugs and to all accounts the Devil's Claw has no side effects so worth a try. Of course if he were showing any sign of distress the vet would be the first port of call. He does visit the vet quite often for weighing as they are only a couple of minutes from the house and they look him over and say that he is pretty good for his age.

I am not trying magnets.....

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:29 am

Please be very careful with rimadyl, many vets will prescribe this for pain relief and in most cases there will be no adverse effects.
However it should never be given without a blood test first to see if the dog has any impaired liver function or kidney disease, otherwise rimadyl could lead to serious illness or death.
Our dog has been prescribed rimadyl twice, once in the Uk for a back sprain & once in Spain after surgery. On both occasions no were tests done first, luckily he had no problems with taking it at all.
But If I had done a bit of prior research I would have insisted on a blood test both times.

http://www.rimadylsideeffects.net/what- ... s-in-dogs/

There are many other similar sites with even more very sad stories out there. :(

I hope this info proves useful to fellow dog lovers