car break down

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

car break down

Postby janieb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:05 pm

hi, i bought a car 9 weeks ago, from a local garage, who gave me 3 months warranty, however in the 9 weeks since i got it, it has broken down several times & been back to the garage 4 times!! i have a disabled husband & need a reliable car! i think i have given the garage plenty of opportunity to fix the problem so does anyone know how i stand legally? i dont wont this car any more, there is clearly something major wrong with it, am i entitled to my money back or a replacement? it still has 3 weeks warranty left on it, but i just dont feel confident driving it1 :(

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: car break down

Postby Jool » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Presumably its a second hand car? If so I suggest you ask the garage for their complaints book if they will not exchange it for another vehicle or go to our local consumer´s office - OMIC - for their help BEFORE the warranty expires.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:43 pm

What have been the faults so far. And what makes you think there is still a major fault. We may have some ideas if you tell the forum members what is happening. :thumbup:
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Where did you buy the car?
UK or Spain?
According to your profile you live in Sheffield.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby janieb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:00 pm

it is indeed second hand(10 years old) & i bought it in Spain, thats why i dont know what my rights are over here, i now live in Alameda forgot to update my profile! sorry for the confusion!

janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby janieb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:12 pm

the car seemed to be ok when i test drove it, but then it kept cutting out & refusing to start, it went back to the garage 3 times & the mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong. the 4th time i could start it but couldn't get it going because i couldn't get it into gear (its automatic) the mechanic fixed it & told me it was a sensor in the transmission box, that was 2 weeks ago & its been fine since but this morning it wouldn't start at first & then when i got it going i drove 50 yards & it cut out & wouldn't start again!

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:04 pm

When you say wouldn't start was the car turning over and not starting or just dead. BTW you did have it in park when you tried to start it. It seems a silly question but you never know.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 am

Just to add. I thought garages/dealers in Spain had to give you at least 1 years warranty by law on any used car, no matter how old it is. Tell them you want a full years warranty.

janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby janieb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:45 am

yes i had it in park & the engine does turn over & i have to give it a few revs to keep it turning, but as soon as i take my foot off the gas the engine stops! thats the problem with an automatic you have to have your foot on the brake to change gear! if i am quick enough i can get my foot from gas to brake & manage to get it into drive & back on to gas, it then goes but cuts out after a few yards! i can leave it for a day then get in & try again & it will be ok for a couple of weeks & then it happens again! & re biribiris comment about used car dealers having to give a years warranty, someone elses has told me this, so maybe i should look into it further! :eh:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:29 am

It could be something like an airflow meter. Is the car running with the engine management light on. BTW what make and model car is it. Also it it petrol or diesel.
Last edited by swerve on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby janieb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 am

its a seat ibiza 1.6 sport, i dont think the engine management light is on but i will go & check later on!

janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby janieb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:22 am

oh i forgot to say its a petrol model! :roll:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:10 am

You could have a couple of plugs that need changing best to do the lot though or a coil pack. Get the garage to plug it into a diagnostic machine if they have one.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:19 am

Hi janieb,
The ECU log needs too be looked at to see what error codes are being flagged up. Has the garage the diagnostic equipment to do this :?:
When did it last have a "proper" service, how many Km are on the clock :?:
Intermittent faults are the hardest to diagnose.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby janieb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 pm

i'm afraid its been on the diagnostic machine several times & nothing has shown up, it had a full service just before i bought it & it was apparently stripped stripped down & had allsorts of new things, like cam belts new central locking system etc.it has 95,000 km on the clock! the engine management light is not on when its running & when i tried it just now it started 1st time & the engine purred like a kitten!! :crazy:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:16 pm

I would check the basics: is the vent in the fuel cap blocked, so cutting the fuel supply after a short while? (take the filler cap off and see if the fault goes).
Has the spannerman looked into the carburettor float bowl to see if it full of muck that can block a jet?
By the way, have you ever wondered why we have two feet? It is so when you have a problem like this you can put your left foot on the brake while you press the throttle with the other one.... :crazy:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:21 pm

:shock: Carburettor float bowl....it's a ten year old car, think carbs finished in 1992.

It's under w'tee so take it back to them.........they've tried to fix it 4 times and failed, why mess about with it.......if they catch you doing so that'll be it.....this will not be diagnosed on a forum!

Ask them if the w'tee is their own or a 3 rd party.......if the latter ask them how much it covers price wise and tell'em to get their fingers out.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi,
I think the 1.6 for that year has MPI............so some injector cleaner might be worth a try, just added to the fuel when you fill up, use the one for petrol engines.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:26 pm

I haven't moved on much since decoking side-valve Morris 8s in our back lane with my Dad in 1953 - still think the fuel lines/injectors or whatever could have muck in them - there may even be a fuel filter?
I have found that it is far easier to help get something sorted out than try and get a Spanish trader to address the problem as he should. I wouldn't mind betting the receipt (if there is one) does not mention any IVA, guarantee terms or even the company registration details of the garage?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Just catching up on some threads - - - curious to know the update to this one? Has the car been changed, has it been fixed, - - - - is life now hunkydory!?? :?:
Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.