Is Wheel Clamping allowed ?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Is Wheel Clamping allowed ?

Postby championc » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:20 pm

In an apartment complex / community, is wheel clamping allowed ? Each apartment in our complex has a car space allocated. Each space is numbered with the apartment number. But we have a real problem where some owners just choose to ignore this and park where they like.

It would be nice to simply have signs threatening clamping, but it's pointless if it's illegal. People appear to say that you cannot touch the property of another person. I assume a constant abuser could be denounced.

But we need a simple and effective solution, especially before the summer high season.

Thanks in advance

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is Wheel Clamping allowed ?

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27 pm

I have an apartment with underground parking and I have fitted a parking bar to my space a bit like this:
unipark.jpg

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Yes, some owners have these, but owners should not have to go to additional expense to ultimately defend their property. And you could rush out one day and forget to remove it, and destroy your car bumper. Someone could trip over it and make a personal accident claim against you.

I would love to put up posters everywhere saying "clamping in operation", knowing that we can do it, and this possibility being the threat, rather than hoping to ever need to use it

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:16 pm

The Spanish will ignore your signs. Unless there is a threat of towing they park anywhere especially on zebra crossings. They do seem to obey disabled bays though. Why not ask them to park in the correct place or ask your president, if the person continues let there tyres down. They will soon get fed up.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:25 pm

I used to live in a terrace house in a town centre 40 years ago. We had a company a few streets away who used to park a massive luton van in the streets surrounding there premises. Not much of a problem if they parked outside your window on a weekday but if you got it outside on a friday you were in darkness until Monday morning. Even worse if it was a bank holiday. We repeatedly asked them to stop and got the usual its all legal so we can park where we want. A guy 4 doors down from me who was a bit of a jack the lad got it parked outside on a bank holiday so he cut all 4 valves with a stanley knife. They came out with a foot pump and by the time they had pumped the 4th one up the others had gone down again. National tyres came out and removed all 4 wheels and tyres and fitted new valves. We never had that vehicle in our street again. Drastic I know but everyone has a right to daylight.

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:12 pm

Our community has a 50/50 mix of English speakers / Spanish. We have a very good WhatsApp group. If a car is parked in a wrong spot and is reported on the whatsapp group. it's usually moved within 30 mins. The Spanish are as fed up as the English and Irish, but they don't like things like the hospital type window stickers (impossible to peel off) or anything which is seen as interferring with the property of someone who is illegally parked in your spot !!! I'm hoping for a big 2m x 1m sign at the entrance, but the icing on the cake would be to have a clamp hanging on a hook on the wall - I bit like a head on a stake :)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:49 pm

championc wrote:And you could rush out one day and forget to remove it, and destroy your car bumper.
fit it in the middle of the space, or far enough in that its under the car when you park?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Two of the nearby blocks (not mine) have parking spaces allocated to owners and they have droppable/lockable posts similar, but more visible, to Beach's. There could be savings in bulk purchase and installation if you had a community meeting, got some quotes etc. I know circs vary, but I would consider it worthwhile compared to the desperate circling (used to be just August but is now year-round after 8pm). I believe some owners who are non-res or not car owners make a few euros letting theirs out, particularly in peak season.

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but the original question was never answered.

Simply, can a community bring in a rule that would all, within a community complex, for individual owners to own clamps, to clamp a car who parks on your property - basically YES or NO please

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 pm

Saw a uk plated stick out like a sore thumb harley davidson motorbike the other day. Hadnt had a mot or tax paid in only 13 years! A friend says he should offer the townhall a clamping service :lol: :shh: