Claiming UK state pension

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Claiming UK state pension

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 30, 2024 3:41 pm

Has anyone here recently had to claim for their state pension from the UK? I have been told to complete this form
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... r1-nsp.pdf

Frankly it is absolutely mad. Requesting details of past addresses, employers, time spent in the UK including holidays, and to send notorised copies of birth and marriage certificates.

Goodness knows how far back they are expecting me to go. Perhaps I have misread it but they hold full NIC records for me going back to 1975, then one of the questions is to send proof of any NICs paid "Do you have any contribution or National Insurance record cards or notices that show you were employed in the United Kingdom? Please send us the original documents, not photocopies." :crazy: they have all my records on their website.

Perhaps I have missed something, but I don't understand it at all. If I lived in the UK they'd send me an invitation code and I would just contact them with that and apply online.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Claiming UK state pension

Postby El Cid » Thu May 30, 2024 3:58 pm

Call them. I have always found them to be really helpful.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu May 30, 2024 5:17 pm

I claimed my UK state pension two years ago and I didn't have to complete any forms. I just called the Overseas Pensions Department of the DWP and they did the whole thing over the phone, it took about 10 minutes from memory and I didn't have to supply any documents such as birth or marriage certificates.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu May 30, 2024 5:59 pm

Forget the form and call them. Maybe 20 minutes and you're done.

The form on the other hand. I wouldn't have been able to answer half the questions on there. All the jobs I've had and dates, all the addresses I've lived at and dates, in and on it goes.
Regards

Bob

Joe22
Tourist

Postby Joe22 » Thu May 30, 2024 7:36 pm

I also have claimed by phone with no problem.
That form is for direct payments to a bank outside the UK.

Will just add that you can be paid weekly but you have to ask for that otherwise you'll be paid the default 4 weekly.
With that option being available I don't see the point of waiting 4 weeks for the payment.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 30, 2024 9:03 pm

Many thanks for the helpful replies. I will certainly try phoning .... that form is just mad :crazy:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 30, 2024 10:51 pm

I got my first pension payment yesterday. The letter I received asked me to call them so I did. I think I needed to confirm some details and they asked which account I wanted to have the money paid into. The whole process was simple.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 31, 2024 8:06 am

Joe22 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:36 pm I also have claimed by phone with no problem.
That form is for direct payments to a bank outside the UK.

Will just add that you can be paid weekly but you have to ask for that otherwise you'll be paid the default 4 weekly.
With that option being available I don't see the point of waiting 4 weeks for the payment.
I have my state pension paid directly into my Spanish account, and I claimed the pension by just making a phone call to DWP. Their staff member just asked whether I would like it paid to a UK account or a Spanish one, then took details of the account over the phone and the payments were received in my account from the date the pension became payable. I was pleased because I'd been reading reports online and in the press that people were experiencing long delays in receiving their first pension payments. In fact the whole service from the DWP was very good indeed and the staff very helpful.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 31, 2024 9:33 am

I've been waiting for a letter but as it's less than two months now until it's due I thought I'd ask on their online question option. I shall try today.

I had a lot of trouble when we wanted to top up our pensions by paying some missing years and again was told by HMRC that I would have to complete a very similar form to the DWP one. We complained to the DWP minister in the UK and eventually were contacted by a brilliant DWP officer who smoothed the way and managed to get everything sorted out for us both. He helped trace my payment when it didn't get credited to my account and seemd to have his own special line directly to HMRC as well. We wouldn't have been able to do it without his help.

I do know that some staff do try to do a good job in the circumstances. I know from being ex Inland Revenue myself how much the job has changed. We had loads of local offices where people could call in or phone us for advice, but these have all closed now and my friends who were Inspectors have been made redundant. It's very hard dealing with them these days with just centralised phone centres and the staff aren't trained the way we were.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 31, 2024 10:52 am

I rang and after a 25 minute wait was dealt with very efficiently by a member of staff. I did have to provide some of the information contained in that form such as dates and details of last employer in the UK and payroll number (luckily I kept those old payslips from 24 years ago!). Also my husband's national insurance number and details, and the dates of the countries I have lived in, but it was otherwise pretty easy.

The only bad news is that they are taking 3 months or more to process claims so it's very likely I won't get my pension until a good month or more after it's due :( . We now have a note on the calender to claim 4 months in advance for my husband (earliest date possible) :roll: .

The email I received from the DWP said I must claim using the form and did not say I could simply do it (in a much simplified version) over the phone, so that was bad advice. So anyone who is approaching pension age should claim by phone as early as possible and not wait for a letter that never arrived as I did.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 31, 2024 2:33 pm

Wicksey wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:52 am I rang and after a 25 minute wait was dealt with very efficiently by a member of staff. I did have to provide some of the information contained in that form such as dates and details of last employer in the UK and payroll number (luckily I kept those old payslips from 24 years ago!). Also my husband's national insurance number and details, and the dates of the countries I have lived in, but it was otherwise pretty easy.

The only bad news is that they are taking 3 months or more to process claims so it's very likely I won't get my pension until a good month or more after it's due :( . We now have a note on the calender to claim 4 months in advance for my husband (earliest date possible) :roll: .

The email I received from the DWP said I must claim using the form and did not say I could simply do it (in a much simplified version) over the phone, so that was bad advice. So anyone who is approaching pension age should claim by phone as early as possible and not wait for a letter that never arrived as I did.
I'm glad you got it sorted although the delay in payment is a pain. I didn't wait for a letter to arrive but phoned them 4 months before reaching age, as your husband intends to do, which is probably why I got mine on time. As regards the time they take to answer the phone, I have always found that with either DWP or HMRC, if I ring at exactly the time they open in the morning the phone is answered within a couple of rings, although of course I still have to listen to the interminable recorded messages about if your call is about x, press y and "your call may be recorded for training purposes".

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 31, 2024 5:40 pm

Free at Last wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:33 pm As regards the time they take to answer the phone, I have always found that with either DWP or HMRC, if I ring at exactly the time they open in the morning the phone is answered within a couple of rings, although of course I still have to listen to the interminable recorded messages about if your call is about x, press y and "your call may be recorded for training purposes".
I have free calls to the UK with the VOIP system I use so at least it didn't cost me anything. I put it on speaker whilst the holding music played and had time to empty the dishwasher before it was answered :clap:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 31, 2024 6:16 pm

Remember that UK civil servants have to finish the latest episode on Netflix before they pick up the phone. If you listen carefully you can hear the kids in the background as it’s Half Term.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:53 pm

I remember my mum filling in that form for my dads pension a few years bak, it was like a book!
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:44 pm

Like every form going...All designed to deter people.Don't give in!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:42 pm

spanish_lad wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:53 pm I remember my mum filling in that form for my dads pension a few years bak, it was like a book!
Thankfully it's a lot easier just to phone them so that would be my advice to anyone claiming now.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:37 am

I wish I had known about phoning. It was like a bloody book I completed. Every place you lived and every job you had. Luckily for me not many but when I helped my mate to do it he couldn't remember half of it so we made it up and made sure dates were consecutive.
We were both sent a form and I don't remember having a phone option.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:54 am

fyfin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:37 am I wish I had known about phoning. It was like a bloody book I completed. Every place you lived and every job you had. Luckily for me not many but when I helped my mate to do it he couldn't remember half of it so we made it up and made sure dates were consecutive.
We were both sent a form and I don't remember having a phone option.
Yes that's the form! Ridiculous when I can see online that they hold all my NIC records going back to 1975. I have had a lot of addresses and jobs in my lifetime and I certainly couldn't remember anything before the late 1980s. When I asked them via the website how to claim as I had not received anything in the post, they emailed and said "If you wish to claim a UK State Pension you must complete and return an IPCBR1 claim form." It didn't say I could just phone and I thought the phone number on the gov.uk website was for help with questions, not actually claiming, so they do keep it quiet.

On the phone they did still ask if I knew my payroll number of my previous employer and I do have a final payslip from 24 years ago, but they didn't even want my last UK address. They still asked for all my husband's details (national insurance number etc) which I don't see as relevant either as I have paid full NIC in my own right, but it was still much simpler. At the start of the call I was given the option of having the form sent to me for completion, which I politely refused :clap:

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:10 am

Ridiculous of course as you say but hey ho I've been getting it for 7 years now paid into my Spanish bank. My wife being younger (don't get her started on WASPI lol born end of April 55) just phoned up and had no problem. Had to wait until she was 66!
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:26 pm

fyfin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:10 am Had to wait until she was 66!
Same here. Up until the mid 1990s I thought I'd be getting mine at 60 :roll: Just as well I could take my civil service pension earlier, so started that at 55 although only a small amount, but better than nowt.