Neighbour generosity - how to repay?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Neighbour generosity - how to repay?

Postby olive » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:17 am

We live in the countryside and receive many gifts from our various Spanish neighbours. In the summer it is a self sufficiency of fruit and veg. This time of the year it is pork meat products, cheese and cakes etc.
Now I'm not complaining, in fact it is lovely but find we have very little to reciprocate with and when we do it is reciprocated "double".
Any suggestions or ideas?

sioban
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sioban » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:14 am

If you send gifts back to them they get offended and will then send you alot more gifts! my parents have this problem, all they do now is say thanks, invite them in for a beer and only on special occasions send them a gift, on Christmas my parents sent them a box of chocolates and they loved it!

Sioban

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:26 pm

We make a fuss of the local kids. We let them use the pool sometimes, give them a few bob when we see them at fiestas. Lady Bountiful was handing out Yorkie bars we brought back from the UK for them yesterday.

Mhic.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:11 am

1. How about bringing a dish you have cooked over to your neighbours
to show your appreciation.
2. Invite them round for a BBQ when the weather is warmer.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:32 pm

Is it not a lovely way of life. We have the same problem, dish loads of all sorts [not always edible and somtimes completely unknown!!] We tried the return of kindness bit but the goodies increased. We also hand out sweets to the kids next door and once we gave a bunch of flowers and a getwell card to another neighbour, who burst into tears with emotion.
I feel somtimes that, the older neighbours somehow feel more secure with your presence and show it in the only way they know how. Kindness costs nothing and what a way to live.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:39 pm

It is nice to be nice and it costs nothing to be nice. :P
Things are best done geniunely and unconditionally.
Our neighbours do not exchange goodies but we do say hello to one another if our paths crossed.
We live in a resort area near the sea, most of the neighbours are back only for the summer.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow