Internal (or external for that matter) Doors

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
timperpat
Tourist

Internal (or external for that matter) Doors

Postby timperpat » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:51 am

We've been looking for internal doors for our Finca near Iznajar and are finding all the local carpenters very expensive. Can anybody tell me (a) why wood is so expensive in Spain and (b) anywhere we may be able to buy some that are fairly cheap, bearing in mind that we have to have them fitted and only have hire cars when we come to Spain so we can't really transport them ourselves.

I'd be grateful for any help.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:51 am

:( I use a factory outlet on Poligono El Viso in Malaga...too far for you?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:39 am

Also Bricolage Antequera (on the industrial estate where the hospital is) or take a trip to the town of Lucena where every other unit is a pine furniture outlet and so some may make doors?

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:16 pm

I very recently came across a carpenter family in a place in northern Morocco who can design and make doors to your specification. The main guy speaks english, french and spanish, and runs the hotel in Chefchaoen. He made all the traditional style doors in the hotel and surrounding cottages - they were lovely! If you send him photos or sketches of what you want he can do drawings and give you a price. He can probably arrange shipping, or you could hire a van and collect them - beautifully scenic drive from Algecieras and a good excuse to visit a really delightful and laid back village! (well worth the trip even if you don't pursue the door thing).

We enquired because another friend asked us to look out for doors on our recent trip, because, same as you, he is finding the cost of new doors for his refurbishment project similarly too expensive here. Don't think said friend has taken this up yet, so be interested in any conversations you might have with him. PM me for his details if interested.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Doors

Postby olive » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:03 pm

I think the answer to the first question is that there aren't many forests of suitable wood in Spain - certainly not near Andalusia. Secondly the transport and seasoning costs bump the price up.
We use Carpenteria Capillia near Granada (circa Puleva) to good effect but have suitable transport and fit our own internal and external doors. Their supply only internal "Sevilliana" style doors are about 90euros inc frame. Similar from Leroy Merlin in Malaga is 180euros. Prices are from memory.
Your problem is surely finding someone to fit them i.e. a local carpenter. Find that person and they will know the lowest local priced place. Isn't there a carpenter up near the top of the road facing the lake at Iznahar?

Hillbilly - we trawled Lucena for days and were truly dissapointed with doors price wise. Now unpainted furniture was a different kettle of fish!

timperpat
Tourist

Postby timperpat » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:42 am

Thanks to all for your messages. Will pursue some, particularly the Antequera suggestion.

By the way, we have tried the carpenters in Iznajar but sadly they are the ones quoting these ridiculous prices.

Many thanks again to all who have replied.

paulellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Internal Doors

Postby paulellis » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:51 am

If you can find doors at the right price, I know an English guy in Tapia who may well be able to help you out with hanging them

Paul

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:36 am

Try your local builders merchants. Ours sell cheap sapele doors with frames for about 40€ and pine doors with frames for up to 85€. They usually deliver too.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:08 am

With doors you get what you pay for..solid wood 8new or restored old doors)is expensive, but look great and add value...but the hollow ones look ok too...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:16 am

silver wrote:With doors you get what you pay for..solid wood 8new or restored old doors)is expensive, but look great and add value...but the hollow ones look ok too...
Try old fashion builders merchants, here (Valencia region) the traditional solid wood multi panel Spanish doors are around 80 euros including the frame however, modern doors in Leroy Merlin are 240 euros.

Mike

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:35 am

solid wood for 80€...worth bringing a lorry load down south.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:20 pm

silver wrote:solid wood for 80€...worth bringing a lorry load down south.
Hoping I have loaded photos correctly, this might help in your search.

timperpat
Tourist

Postby timperpat » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies to my query - very helpful.