Failing a driving licence medical

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Failing a driving licence medical

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Out of intrest does anyone know what would happen if you failed a medical to renew your licence then decided to go back to the U.K what would happen interms of exchanging your spanish licence back to a uk licence after its been revoked.

Friend of a friend (yeap chinese whispers possibly) said they had failed the test due to high B.P (are they that strict? ) and was going to move home because they couldnt drive anymore. Surely some B.P tablets and then can you take the medical again??

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Failing a driving licence medical

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:36 pm

That’s complete rubbish! My first driving test medical found I had very high BP and advised me to see my doctor. They passed me though! Since then I have been on BP medication and have never had a problem with my medical, in fact they have never actually taken my BP since then. I just tell them I am on BP medication and that is accepted.

In the very unlikely even that they did fail you, just go to another clinic and they will probably pass you!

Sid

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 am

The doc who did my last DL medical also found my blood pressure to be on the high side. There was no problem in passing me fit to drive, he simply gave me a prescription for tablets to treat it.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:47 am

My dad had high blood preasure and had a heart attack so be mindfull of your health..Dosent mean you cant drive with the right treatment which he didnt have..I know someone who suffered wirh epilepsy and he couldnt drive until he was free from having fits...Eye sight is another problem and there are many people on the road who shouldnt be..

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks all i did seem rather odd and rather extreme to move cause you supposedly failed. Made me wonder if it was just a made up reason to either stop driving or move or both. As you say they would just get some meds instead.

Anyone know what happens inregards to the uk though if you fail.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 am

If you fail a check in Spain? I don't know this end of the rules but, back in the UK, if you have a foreign (eg, Spanish) DL and it has been suspended for some reason then DVSA won't return it until that period ends. If you're in the UK with a valid driving licence, there is an up to £1000 fine for not declaring a health condition that could materially affect your driving. I just had a re-check to see if UK things are still laissez-faire, and they are. Your GP might advise you to give up driving, you may (confidentially and without any forward notification) go to RoSPA for an opinion. Some younger quacks may take a dim view of rubber-stamping people clearly past their ability but many feel it's not their place.
My personal view is that the safety of other users should take priority over an individual's desire to carry on driving but that's an aside. The UK is still a relatively "get it and forget it" place to own a DL.Not declaring something may give an excuse for comprehensive insurance not to pay up (third parties would of course still be covered).