Yeso and capa Fina

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
tinak
Tourist

Yeso and capa Fina

Postby tinak » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi, we have walls in our casa which have been skimmed in Yeso, up to 60mm with two thick coats and one thin skim to finish. The walls are in a bit of a state with patches which have blown, so we Intended to remove all loose Yeso and repair with Yeso. We then intended to pva bond the Yeso walls and apply a finish coat of capa fina throughout. We have no experience with Yeso, so we are hoping that someone with more knowledge can confirm if our approach is correct, as we don't want any issues with the Yeso substrate later on. Many thanks.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Yeso and capa Fina

Postby olive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:25 am

When you say blown , is it a problem with damp?

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 am

My experience with using yeso is not to mix up more than you can use in around 10 minutes it very quickly becomes solid.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 am

If it's blown in parts then you may have some damp coming through which may need attention first.

Have you used capa fina before? We had it in our kitchen after replastering as it's already white and was meant to save us painting straight away. It has quite a gritty finish and sheds everywhere when you touch it, so we did need to paint it anyway to seal it.

tinak
Tourist

Postby tinak » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:00 am

The previous owner had not addressed the leaking sun terrace and therefore damp had got into the walls with some of the yeso falling off and some had just de-bonded from the wall. We fixed the sun terrace about a year ago and have started to look at the walls. The plan is to remove any yeso patches that are not fully bonded to the wall and replace with new yeso. We wanted to do a capa fina skim coat as we have no experience with a yeso finish and a capa fina finish is much more forgiving and easy to work with.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

Biribiri, you are talking about yeso rápido (fast plaster) used for sticking switch boxes into the wall etc.

The op is talking about yeso as in plaster. It comes in much bigger bags and takes hours to go hard.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:30 am

We have a love /hate relationship with plaster here.

Plaster in our area comes in sacks. Yeso rapido which as Spanish Lad says is only really of use for sticking wall electrical boxes and conduit in place. Yeso retardo and a great product for those used to UK plaster- Perlita. This dries to a white smooth finish and from experience doesn't seem to have any downsides over Yeso retardo. It remains useable for longer but you still can't hang about.

We recently had a 12m by 4 m room with lots of complexities plastered by a professional team as we couldn't face it or make the time commitment. They used yeso retardo in the small sacks. I think the quote was 350 euros but whatever it was we gave them another 100 as they did such a good job . Four people first day and two for half a day on second.

If you have a look around you can find various types of mono capa. Capa Fina is one. If you trowel it on and use the float with no sponging you can get quite a good smooth finish. There were times when we nearly resorted to it for indoor use... It is your house, use what you want.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 am

This is not what you want to hear but i be of the opinion gypsum products not suitable for rustic property at all.
The problem is gypsum acts like a sponge and draws moisture towards it. Spanish outer walls are usually single.
If it were me i would strip it all off and render with fine sand/cement etc.
It will not be quite as fine as gypsum but is almost and has a nice rustic finish.
My new project was completely done this way and i prefer the slightly more rustic finish.
I will add i was not aware of this when my project was being done "accidental success story"

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Just point at any one and get a description of it's properties:

https://www.bricomart.es/materiales-de- ... yolas.html

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Good post country boy :thumbup:

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 am

On a personal level …. I totally agree with Wollie ..Gypsum products are so susceptible to damp they are a liability. If you are thinking of HAVING A GO... Try 4:1 sand cement mix with a little liquid Soap to help make it Smooth to trowel out. You can Also add something like Sika-1 to add some waterproofing and PVA direct into the mix to assist Bonding to the existing Wall.

If you want the stipple finish most internal walls have use a soft wet Sponge as it starts to set, else Leave it Smooth off the trowel and use Rugosa Paint as a first sealer coat