Living Permanently in a Mobile Home ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Living Permanently in a Mobile Home ?

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:05 pm

Some friends were recently discussing with me the possibility of permanently living in a mobile home , they have sold their house ( in Spain ) and are at present living in a rented apartment while they decide what to do.
I really didn't have a clue what I could tell them, my only experience with mobile homes/ caravans was very short stays and my only real experience was when we honeymooned for a couple of weeks, 53 years ago in a caravan in Cark in Cartmel, it had previously belonged to George Formby.( I don't know what that's got to do with it, but thought I mention it ). :)
I seem to remember this being discussed before, but it would be interesting to have some up to date information.

So, maybe other members are actually living in a mobile home now, or maybe have more experience/ information that I could pass on ?..
Perhaps someone could advise running costs / price to buy/ good sites, is it a good style of living for an older couple ( they are late 60's ).

I hope someone has some interesting advice / comments....

Regards,
Gordon

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Living Permanently in a Mobile Home ?

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 pm

When we first moved here we lived in a mobile home whilst we house hunted for a permanent home.
Running costs can be high, depending on the site, at around €2000-4000 a year for ground rent.
Cost of purchase anything from €30,000 upwards depending on the condition.
If you want a new one then, often, it has to be purchased through the site often at an inflated cost.
Some sites insist that the mobile home mustn't be more than about 10 years old before it has to be renewed. Remember them charging €300 for a new contract in my name. They just had to change the previous name to mine and print it out. They did it in English but when I needed one in Spanish they charged another €300 to print a new copy.
You are at the mercy of the site owner for any electricity, water charges etc.
If and when you want to sell it you will get less than you paid for it, they depreciate in value.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Saydo park near antequera has been shown on chan 5 brits in the sun for several episodes. Its abit hard going typical trashy chan 5 but might be worth a look to get an idea of such parks

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:33 am

As Gerry said, it is the fees and charges that you really have to look out for and these are things beyond your control. There are usually rules and regulations as well (some UK sites have a no pets rule, although I'm not sure if the Spanish ones tend to have that so much here). I once lived on a residential mobile home site for a year and it was fine, but nowadays the running costs seem to be very high so that would have to be offset against the possible cheaper purchase price. They don't tend to increase in value like a normal house either, so it depends on how they want to spend their money really.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:09 pm

elusive wrote:Saydo park near antequera has been shown on chan 5 brits in the sun for several episodes. Its abit hard going typical trashy chan 5 but might be worth a look to get an idea of such parks
A few years back, we had a walk around that mobile home park. Whilst it isn't for us, I could see a lot of advantages once you reconcile the high charges.

Strong community spirit, good shared swimming pool, crown green bowling. Bar restaurant on site, shared s/h books, Weekly car boot/ market well attended.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:03 pm

Friends lived on Cabopino site for a few years. Everything you need has to go through the site owner. When you want to sell they offer peanuts. Other than that I think these modern homes are very nice.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:06 am

Depends on how they want to use their money - can be a very good lifestyle, though not so sure for the winter months when the place may well be mostly empty as few will actually live there all the time, and facilities may well shut down from October to Easter ...
It is generally thought of as a good way of losing money ...

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:56 pm

I can understand if you have very little money and buy a bottom of the range type mobile home for 20-30k but on the chan 5 programe there was a couple spending 50k on one. You could prob buy a house for that sort of money up there. I guess people like it cause its a little britain with everything they need in one place. I hate to think how clicky it is though. Its bad enough in spanish villages etc with a uk population and all the clicky in groups that just sit around drinking etc. So a place where its just brits in a condensed area like a campsite..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Cabopino is open all year and very busy. It also has multi nationalities staying there. As many dutch as brits i think.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:10 pm

Is that cabopino marbella way? Commenting really on the chan 5 programe last night about saydo

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 pm

Cabopino is the next urbanisation/port after Calahonda travelling west on the N 340.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks. Yeah thats what i was thinking of. Didnt know if there was another

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Permanent mobile home owners in Scotland get discounts from the local council. eg They do not pay water rates as the water is provided and paid for in the park. They pay very little council tax as their waste bins etc are dealt with by the park. The ones I know who stay permanently offset this to the monthly charges and find it does not cost that much more than paying monthly water rates and council tax. They love it as previously lived in a flat and had no outside space. The modern mobile homes are insulated etc. But these are family run private parks and not the well-known brands which seem to only want to get as much cash from you as possible. They are near beaches or in the countryside. They have no pool or pub which suits them as they use the local amenities, shops, bars restaurants etc. Don't know if you get these discounts in Spain though.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 pm

AND they are in Scotland :-)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:43 pm

Yes, and if you read it right, I said that I don't know if you get these discounts in Spain

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:37 am

Seen them on TV on the latest Brits in the sun programme. They seem to suit some people, no accounting for taste.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 pm

maureenscot wrote:Yes, and if you read it right, I said that I don't know if you get these discounts in Spain
Yes I read it right, I was being a touch cynical :-)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:40 am

The charges seem very high. Watched an older Place in the Sun prog and it was nearly 480 a month

Centrinin

Postby Centrinin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 pm

elusive wrote:I can understand if you have very little money and buy a bottom of the range type mobile home for 20-30k but on the chan 5 programe there was a couple spending 50k on one. You could prob buy a house for that sort of money up there. I guess people like it cause its a little britain with everything they need in one place. I hate to think how clicky it is though. Its bad enough in spanish villages etc with a uk population and all the clicky in groups that just sit around drinking etc. So a place where its just brits in a condensed area like a campsite..
I checked a page with flats in Andalucia for sale and sorted the results from the lowest up. The cheapest that I could see was an apartment in Malaga for 105K, so I don't know, I have to see the mobile home they bought against 50K. If it's at least equally comfortable and provide all the amenities they need...I guess one could go for a mobile home easily, especially if they'll be using it to live two months in Andalucia, one month in Madrid, another in Barcelona and so on. Otherwise, if they're going to rest fixed at one spot, you're absolutely right - if you can afford it, buying that flat would be a much better investment and something you could leave to your children.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:25 pm

This is slightly off-topic but it is what i have seen.
One of the best ideas i seen in Spain was a rigid truck turned to a camper This was a very high end job and it had everything, one bedroom apartment with kitchen shower and all modern appliances.
I do not know what the laws as regards to parking but it seemed to me that these people were wandering around and used camp-sites to get rid of waste and top up with water etc.
If i had thought of this idea before i bought i would have went for it, it was basically a small house on wheels as distinct from camper as it had full celing height.

Good luck