Bottled gas - how does it work?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bottled gas - how does it work?

Postby ebyard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Hello

Can anyone help me quickly? I've bought my place on the coast, a lovely apartment, and it has bottled gas for the hot water boiler. I know you can buy gas bottles from the local petrol station, but do you need a contract or can you literally just turn up with your empties and buy full bottles?

Also, is there any deposit etc necessary? The bottles we have now are from Repsol.

Thanks in advance

Ed

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bottled gas - how does it work?

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:47 pm

You need to sign a contract to get a new bottle, but if you have one they will normally change it for a full one with no paperwork.

Most people buy a spare bottle second hand and use that.

Sid

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks Sid, I have 3 bottles (!) all of which seem empty to me, the boiler is ignited by sparks from some D-size batteries that need replacing, so I can't actually fire it up until I replace those next week when I visit.

So you think if I take the empties back, they will just replace them with no hassle? I only want them now and then, probably only a couple every year so really don't want to be tied to a contract...

Cheers

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:41 pm

Depending where you live you may even have the gas lorry coming around twice a week. Just go out with your empty and around 15 euros and exchange it. If not repsol garages exchange empties for full. I have never been asked for paperwork/contract in 16 years. I had 3 bottles but only needed 2 so i gave an old one to the repsol guy.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:32 am

For peace of mind once you have a full bottle, before you use it have a look at the rubber hose that connects to your bottle, it will have a "use by"date stamped on the outside. The hose needs to be changed every 5 years and it's also a good idea to change the regulator at the same time.
Total cost for the hose, regulator and two new hose clips is around 9-12 euros from any local ferreteria (iron mongers.)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 am

If you have an empty already just take it to a petrol station and swap for a new one. Dont need a contract or anything

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:19 am

As already been said just go to repsol garage, pay some money and exchange for full.

Important though you are legally only allowed to carry two cylinders in your car at one time and they must be tied down.
Regards

Bob

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Also it sounds like your water heater may not have been active for some time when you get there with your new batteries.
Having changed your gas bottle, the tube from the bottle will be empty of gas and it may take longer than you expect for it to get through to the water heater for ignition of the pilot. Be patient! Check closely when/if it lights up that the pilot flame is nice a blue with no yellow - if you have a bad flame it will not only choke up the boiler but probably indicates a spider or other gunge in there. Also if the pilot is OK, look at the main flame and check for yellow burn there too - spiders do like a snug water heater tube for nesting in.
You will note that the spanish regulator on the end of the tube to fit onto the top of the bottle, clips on quite smartly and easily, remember to flip over the switch on the top of the regulator to allow the gas to come through. If you are going to be visiting, rather than living in the house, I suggest you take the regulator off, in the closed position, from the bottle, leaving it connected to the tube, so that there is less chance of it perishing and leaking over time, while you are away for long periods.
Also these days, you should have the boiler "checked" and certified by a local engineer - if you have a Repsol shop, rather than the service station, you can ask in there for a recommendation. Or the folk in your apartment block should be able to help you with such.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:34 pm

This is all super useful information, thank you all!!!

I'll go and get 2 bottles; assuming 1 shower a day and a bit of washing up, how long should they last?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:54 pm

Hi ebyard,

Months ............... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Depends on the time of year as in the winter the incoming water is colder and so needs more heating. We run a bath every night and 1 bottle lasts between 6 weeks and 3 months, give or take.
Regards

Bob

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Our old boiler with a permanent pilot burning used a bottle every 6 weeks. The new boiler that ignites as you request hot water uses hardly any gas. If you are using as a holiday home 2 bottles a year if you have the type of boiler which i think you have because you mentioned you need new ignition batteries.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks all - one bombona it is, for now at least !

Ed

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Well, I got new gas, replaced the regulator and hose, and......................nothing.

The boiler makes a clicking sound (I actually took the cover off, and could see the sparking) and then I get an error code which appears to be "no gas". So either the pipe is blocked or something else is wrong. I will have to call out an engineer.....

This unit doesn't have a pilot light either, just fires up as is necessary. More efficient, I suppose.

Thanks
Ed

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi edyard,
I presume you turned the gas regulator to the ON position............. :?:

Re-seat the Regulator on to the Gas Bottle................ :!:

You should feel the Black ring on the Regulator move downwards when fitting the regulator to the Gas Bottle.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:05 am

I'm in UK, but have a problem with my boiler - if the water tank is too low it won't fire up - fill the tank (there is a little lever underneath the 'works' that lets water into it), and press a reset button to bring it back to life.
I don't know if this is any use to you, but I thought I'd mention it just in case ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 am

Enrique wrote:Hi edyard,
Re-seat the Regulator on to the Gas Bottle................ :!:

You should feel the Black ring on the Regulator move downwards when fitting the regulator to the Gas Bottle.
This (I shall place a small bet). Many times, I would come over and think I've put it on right, but no. Tug it upwards and, hey presto, it comes away in your hand meaning it wasn't on right. It's second nature to me now, and I wish I knew what it is I'm doing right these days, but I've been through that "I've definitely got it on this time... oh, no I haven't" rigmarole on many previous holidays.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 am

chrissiehope wrote:I'm in UK, but have a problem with my boiler - if the water tank is too low it won't fire up - fill the tank (there is a little lever underneath the 'works' that lets water into it), and press a reset button to bring it back to life.
I don't know if this is any use to you, but I thought I'd mention it just in case ;-)
I think it is a different system that the op has personally but all advice is great.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Fixed it !

It was two things, firstly the gas from the bottle seemed to be taking time to reach the boiler, but also the flow rate to the kitchen tap wasn't high enough and was shutting off the boiler. Took the tap spout off and cleaned it out - it was full of scale - and bingo, worked first time. Who know coastal areas had hard water? Still, it's not as bad as where I am from in the UK!

A hot shower was very welcome :D

Thanks all!

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Whilst on the subject of gas, I've just paid 17€ for butane at a Cepsa garage I noticed that propane is at 12.70€.

Is there a fixed price for gas nationally and the sellers just add whatever they want onto that price?

I don't have Repsol gas but would they also be the same price as Cepsa?

cheers terry