Waste disposal

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Waste disposal

Postby ebyard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Hello

Just sorting out my new apartment and I have a load of stuff to get rid of; and not entirely sure what to do. Obviously, in the UK, you'd drive it all to the local dump but I believe they don't have those here (I am in Motril area). Can anyone advise on what to do?

Mattresses - I believe the local council will collect these?
Sofa - charity shop?
Pots/Pans/Kitchen Utensils/Plates/Bowls/Cutlery - no idea?
Books - no idea?
Electronic items (old kettle, toaster, ancient TV set!) - no idea?

Many Thanks
Ed

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Re: Waste disposal

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:31 pm

All towns as far as I am aware have recycling facilities. Yes, it is on Ronda de Levant next to the municiple cemetery! Two recycling points together!!!
Gerry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:50 pm

I would think that most charity shops would welcome most, if not all, of those items.
They might even collect them from you.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Never seen a charity shop in Spain but then whenever we go to “ civilisation” in Spain they aren't high on our must see.

We are going to have a clear out this year so might look for one. Any names of shops for an internet search? Any in Fuengirola?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:09 am

There are one or two that I've seen on the Costa, run by expats. I think Cudeca (cancer charity) has one somewhere, and I'm sure places like the Donkey sanctuary (El Refugio Burrito) or an animal rescue charity would be happy to collect if they are able to, just google charity donations of furniture or something like that.
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 am

Or just take it down to the communal bins. Mine has a notice that furniture/domestic stuff is taken on Mondays, but it's spirited away before then. I cleared out last May and local scavenger Juan agreed to come up to my corridor around 4pm. But he lives on the ground floor and decided it was cannier to let me drag it all down alone and then his wife intercepted me. Call me petty, but I told her he definitely hadn't been interested and continued to drag it to the bins where it all went (Aquapark straw hat included) within a couple of hours, long before the collection time.

Some 25 years ago, my dad told me he'd treated the flat (and us young lovers) to a double bed. That he rescued from the skip. As soon as we could, we got a bed that would only contain our own skin flakes and I took the old creaker down for (at least) its 2nd time. I didn't even get out of the bloque door, "Are you chucking that bed out? I live just along the corridor..."

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 am

That story about the 2nd hand bed made me really laugh.

Last month, my brother in Yorkshire got their old washing machine outside the house - down the side of the house past two cars. Within twenty minutes it had “gone”. None of the neighbours saw anything! No need to pay Currys £15 disposal charge.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 am

Cudeca and several animal charities have shops in the Torre del Mar to Nerja areas. I have donated clothes, books and furniture to them in the past and regularly buy stuff from them, but not sure what there is in Motril area.

Anything else we take and leave by the bins. Our knackered old gas BBQ was taken out the back of the car by a man who is always hanging around there ..... I think he sells on any metal but he seems to 'recycle' anything even if it's broken.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:54 pm

GerryinCajiz wrote:All towns as far as I am aware have recycling facilities. Yes, it is on Ronda de Levant next to the municiple cemetery! Two recycling points together!!!
This is exactly what I needed to know - thank you, Gerry! I drove the stuff over there and a helpful man told me which skips to put it in. All sorted in a few minutes.

Now I have only the mattresses to get rid of, I will leave them out on Thurs evening and hope they disappear! My estate agent rang the council for me...let's see if the system works :)

Thanks to all for your help!