Hire car had a puncture

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Hire car had a puncture

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:59 pm

On another forum a poster said they had a front wheel puncture.
Rang the hire company who said get it changed.

Went to a tyre place and they said Spanish Law compels them to change both wheels.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Views?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hire car had a puncture

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:16 pm

So they couldn't just repair the puncture? The only time you need to change both tyres on the same Axel is if the vehicle is 4WD. If one tyre has 7mm and the other has say 2.5mm it alters the rolling circumference and can wind the diff up and cause a lot of damage. 2WD is not a problem changing 1 trye.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:29 pm

So the poster was scammed then?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 pm

I have always understood that it is sometimes difficult to match the replacement tyre with exactly the same specifications. If this is the case then both tyres have to be changed so that the vehicle will pass the ITV at the next inspection. This is probably where the 'Spanish Law' bit comes into the equation.

It really depends on the whether the tyre centre has the means and wherewithal to scout around to see if it can find a new tyre to match the other one. An independent fitter who is reliant on his own reputation is probably more likely to take the trouble to do so rather than a chain or franchise especially if the tyres are from a manufacturer with which they have no trading relationship.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:47 pm

Interesting scenario.

I recently had yet another puncture. None repairable area of tyre plus it was an oblique entry.

They couldn't get a matching Pirelli tyre without me hanging around till the evening.

I could have had a Michelin but the fitter said when is your next ITV? It wont pass with a Michelin and a Pirelli on same axle.

Given how important tyres are for your safety, I ended up having two Michelins and kept the other front for the spare now I have a rim. Only need a jack and brace now!

Someone knowledgeable will be along soon.....

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 pm

RichardCoeurdeLion wrote:So the poster was scammed then?
Maybe unless Spanish ITV test insists you don't mix brands. In the UK its not a problem but here I am not sure as I have never ITVd a car here.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:21 pm

As I said before, the slightest discrepancy in the specification of the tyres will be an instant fail but the degree of nit-picking will be down to the individual tester.

A couple of years ago my car failed after successful tests for twelve consecutive years with the same tyre combination because the tester claimed that there was a discrepancy. It may be just a coincidence but it was the first time I had a female tester who told me that the combination was extremely dangerous. It probably didn't help matters when I said that it must have been extremely dangerous for twelve years and over a hundred thousand kilometres, then.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:01 am

On our way back to Spain from the UK in September I ran over something on a French road that did not puncture, but damaged the sidewall on one of my front tyres. Not wishing to put on the "space saver" spare for motorway driving I called at a garage advertising the Continental tyres I had fitted and asked them to replace the damaged one.
The guy said that they only had one in my size in stock so couldn't help. When I argued that I only needed one I was told that the law stated they could only fit tyres in pairs.
I stopped at two more garages along the way and both quoted the same law. Eventually at the third i agreed that they could fit a pair of Michelins'.

So it's not just Spain.

I can understand why one new tyre should not be put on the same axle as a well worn one but my front tyres were less than a year old with plenty of tread left.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:37 am

I was away on holiday in here in Spain.
Parked the my car outside the hotel on the street.
Next morning two flat tyres. Front LH and rear LH tyres had been knifed through the side walls. :thumbdown:
Taken by grua to tyre place. They insisted that I needed four new tyres. :thumbup:
Annoying as both front tyres where nearly new.
Back home here my local Spanish, independent, tyre place will happily fit just one tyre usually different make.
Usually at my local ITV place they only look at the front LH tyre to check it is of the correct size.
Once the tester pointed out to me that the front tyres where of different makes. Passed the ITV and the different tyre makes wasn't noted on the ITV.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:19 am

Thanks for the input.

It's particularly galling if you are in a hire car as the hire company get two new tyres and you pay for them

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:04 pm

Beachcomber wrote:As I said before, the slightest discrepancy in the specification of the tyres will be an instant fail but the degree of nit-picking will be down to the individual tester.
ignoring the tyres - I took a customers car, a Mercedes ML, first model, that was fitted with side bars and a tyre rack on the back, with big round chrome bars, fitted by Mercedes. Its passed every single year, I´ve done the ITV on it for at least the last 10 years and its been fine.. Last year and this year they have insisted that the bars are not on the ficha technica and have to be taken off.

I think its new "rules" - they have told to be more strict with older vehicles to get them off the road.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 pm

As far as I know, it is supposed to be the same tyres on an axle, but its not upto the garage to tell you what you can and cant do, they only need to advise you that a. its not as safe, b. its not recomended, and c. it wont pass ITV next time - then if you tell them to go ahead, thats upto you and your choices.

maybe with a hire car its different and they have had too much "come back" from the hire car places.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.