Is there a simple answer for uk tv?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

Re: Is there a simple answer for uk tv?

Postby fyfin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:14 pm

If you can't have a large dish then it's internet tv in some form or another, unless you have a special receiver as someone pointed out and a smaller dish pointing in a different direction.
I've tried various ways of getting UK TV and if it's only BBC / ITV / C4 and C5 etc then I have found the most reliable way is to use a good VPN.
The one that seemed the easiest to install on my android box was Freedome (from Playstore) Really simple to use as well and cheap. I bought from a re-seller on Ebay and paid less than £15 for 12 months on 5 devices.
You can get a free test I think for 7 days so you can see how it works with no restrictions.
With BBC iPlayer I had to use a different Google account to download it as Google knew I was in Spain irrespective of Vpn. Then I downloaded ITV hub. All4 and the Channel 5 app. All work perfectly and you have catch up etc as well. If you're happy with that then that's the way I'd go.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 pm

after playing with tvmucho's free trial I signed up for it - under 70 Euros a year for 33 HD & SD channels. Results so far are excellent - the Hd pictures on the new LG 55" Nano are superb, and apart from one short break due to the internet going off we have had perfect reception, even though the thunder and lightning was crashing outside and the second Gota Fria of the year was flooding the poor folk down in the Old Town area of Los Alcazares.
The only worry I have is the reliability of the internet supply - it seems to fine even in HD and SWMBO on her iPad (and at the moment me on my laptop too!) with the measly c7MBps available here.
Only problem I have is that I have yet to find the right way to change channels, muddling around with back key, home key and every other button! I am using their website through the smart web browser and the LG Magic Remote, not dabbled with Alexa yet.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Glad it's working for you. I'm really liking the ability to simply scroll back through the epg and watch a program that was missed earlier. Haven't felt the need to delve into the full archive on the 'recordings' tab

Must admit that I haven't tried webpage access, using only the android app so far. In the app there are 'buttons' to go to next or previous channel, and a button to go back to the apps home page where you can choose channels, guide, recordings and another which escapes me at the moment... There are a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts, <,> etc etc, maybe they'll help. Not having a keyboard on my tv box I haven't tried them.

Can you not install the app on your LG TV?

Can't fathom out their speed check service. Speedtest.net shows my line at 12-15Mbs whereas their test in the app shows around 5mbs with a warning that this is too slow for sustained streaming and you need at least 3Mbs.. Aside from the lower speed measured I always thought that 5 was faster than 3.... go figure :-)

Weren't you trying an eval Gerry/. How'd it work out for you?
Regards

Bob

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:36 pm

"Can you not install the app on your LG TV?"
It would need an android box, but they are working on apps for the major smart tv systems (they say).
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Weren't you trying an eval Gerry/. How'd it work out for you?
Yes, I don't use it all the time, I use I907, but whenever I've tried it it works perfectly.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 pm

I have been following this thread with interest. Our satellite internet was recently faulty for about five weeks. When we got it working again predictably the uk ip address was withdrawn. Worse the temporary free uplift to 30 gb a month was returned to 20 gb.

We are back to downloading programmes during the unlimited period in the night but obviously needed some help. Currently on a two week trial of SmartDNS. I have that on our router and it is working well. Also streamed a few programmes after midnight with no problems. I guess we are eight years behind everyone else.

Next step is to find an unlimited internet provider. I want to be ready in case 907 goes.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:03 pm

We're with Fobos and get 15mbs with no dowload limit. Dont know where you are and hence wether they would be an option for you
Regards

Bob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:04 pm

As I have mentioned on another thread.
I'm with Vodafone "4G en Casa" which is now unlimited and I get around 40 mbs speed.
I live in the campo and my only options are satellite, same as you have Olive, or a 3G/4G mobile signal.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 am

No copper or fibre here.

Jetnet operate in three nearby large villages. I have twice asked them before for service. Both times no coverage - just. In the intervening years they may have improved their signal. So a possibility and we could ditch our landline which seems to only exist for “ I am calling from Microsoft” scammers to call us on.

The other is 3/4G as gerry says. Movistar offering requires taking a landline as well. We had 3G from both Orange and Movistar before satellite internet and both were rubbish. The speed dropped during the many peak times. E.g. going to work, going home, kids going to school, coming out, pub turning out... The question I would like to ask is “ is the contention ratio for unlimited internet home offering better than that of say a mobile phone or a MiFi SIM”? It is a big commitment if it ends up buffering

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:45 am

Can you get a good Vodafone signal where you are?
After I dropped my satellite connection and went to Vodafone the signal and speed was just about OK.
Since then at variuos times all without warning, the signal strength, download speed and data limit have all increased.
The only thing that hasn't altered is the price.
Perhaps Orange and Movistar have also improved since you last tried them.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:45 am

I have the I907 but am aware that things may change as it's been mentioned a replacement satellite is being moved into that position. We too are with Fobos and have 8mbps which is superfast compared to the previous ISP we had. We use SmartDNSProxy who we have found very good. Their response if there's a problem has been instant.

I use a combination of I907 and catch-up via the Smart LG TV which works perfectly with the internet speeds we are getting, Trouble is only BBC app has the live TV option, which is different to the websites where you can watch all channels live. The TVmucho site looks interesting but we would need to have a TV app I think to use it easily.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:54 am

Wicksey wrote:Trouble is only BBC app has the live TV option, which is different to the websites where you can watch all channels live. The TVmucho site looks interesting but we would need to have a TV app I think to use it easily.
We too have smartdnsproxy although it's not needed with tvmucho and as you say excellent service.

Dont get your comment on only iplayer has live tv. The apps for itv and c4 on my tvbox both have live tv available. Different/old versions maybe?
Regards

Bob

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:38 am

Wicksey was referring to the Apps on his LG TV where only BBC iPlayer streams LIVE TV. ITV C4 ETC Do Not.
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:11 pm

My Samsung TV ITV app has live TV too.

The solution to navigate TVMucho with ease is the Fire TV. The remote is built for armchair TV viewing and even controls the basic functions of the TV.

For years we have been trying to use computer/phones to control TVs with limited success, Even Windows gave up supplying remotes and discontinued its Windows media centre years ago because it was always so clumsy and now there are much better ways to get content without having to muck around.

I still prefer the iPlayer to stream live TV and catch up because the quality of the streaming is far superior especially the 4K content.

Mcphailan
Tourist

Postby Mcphailan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Intelsat 907 (satellite backup known as satback) provides bbc1 bbc2 itv c4 c5 with a decoder that a sat installer in the know can provide.
https://www.satandpcguy.com/intelsat-bbc-satback/

Oops now seen already mentioned. Note that i had to get my 80cm dish FIRMLY secured to the chimney as it was previously on a pole and was having all sorts of reception probs. Now perfect except for torrential rain days like today and have tvmucho backup which im now using to watch the snooker

Macpi

Postby Macpi » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:59 pm

Hello ,
Does anyone have any information on the channel hopper app please?
Thanks.

Macpi