electrician for small repair job in Benalmadena

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

electrician for small repair job in Benalmadena

Postby qe2ex » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 pm

The heavy rain the last few days seems to have shorted something, somewhere. I'm guessing it's something outside as I've disconnected everything inside that was connected via that fuse, but it's still constantly tripping.

Can anyone recommend an electrician, preferably near Benalmadena? Unfortunately I don't speak more Spanish yet than "Google translate" can help me with, so he will need to speak at least a little bit of English.

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: electrician for small repair job in Benalmadena

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:05 am

You are in the perfect location for an English electrician. Have a look in the Sur in English.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:27 am

If your on f.book try the buy and sell groups for benalmadena. People recommend and advertise on there

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks, I did that and somebody came out and fixed it. They did a decent job, but were too expensive for me to recommend myself. Mainly I got miffed about them wanting EUR 25 to deliver "when they happen to pass by for other work nearby" a couple of small fuses that are necessary, and which I imagine cost a max of 2-3 EUR altogether. Told them there was no rush, just deliver it when it's convenient for them, and since I already paid them EUR 200 for the work itself (quite a bit on the high side that too, IMO), trying to charge me an extra EUR 20 to deliver some fuses when they pass by anyway was a bit rude I though.

Ordered the fuses myself via ebay, as I have no idea where to find stuff like this here myself. Even with the EUR 4 in shipping charges from the seller in UK, it comes out to 1/4 of what these guys wanted.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Sounds like you got the Guiri rate. I had a guy come out and replace every socket in my house. Supply and fit all for 200 euros.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:05 pm

costakid wrote:
Sounds like you got the Guiri rate.
Or a Brit electrician!

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:00 pm

True but the OP did ask for a British electrician.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Yes, perhaps we should have made him aware of the risks.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:44 pm

In hindsight I think your right Sid.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Well, being too stupid too speak the country's language yet, I guess I got what I deserved and paid through the nose?. Anyway, I don't have preference for a British electrician at all, just at the moment I need (needed) someone who speaks at least some English unfortunately.

If somebody has a recommendation for someone nearby who speaks a little English (or can communicate via WhatsApp, like my mechanic), that's still appreciated. Soured a bit on the british fellas due to the fuse thing to be honest, so prefer to not use them again.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:50 pm

The problem with using British tradesmen (unless they are well known and recommended) is that they come to Spain thinking that they can charge the same rates as the U K, In many (not all) cases they are shysters and often don't understand Spanish electrical standards, which are quite different from the U K. I know my views are a bit generalised but I have often heard friends complaining that British tradesmen are not reliable, use a Spanish local tradesmen every time !!

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:36 am

Costakid, who did you use to replace your sockets...I want all mine done too..all working just a bit yellow looking.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Actually an Irish guy but who was recommended by a neighbour who had used him for years. He has since retired and moved away to another part of Spain.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Doesn't anyone do household chores themselves?

I wouldn't leave a Spaniard near anything in my house. If I want something done, I do it myself.

Actually, _I've been doing a load of electrical work in recent times which would have cost hundreds otherwise.

With the internet it's so easy to educate ourselves. I've spent days reading about "electrics". It must have taken me weeks to finally work out that I needed "contactores" for a particular job. It gives me great pleasure to understand the problem and get a solution, etc. A Spaniard would have sold me a whole load of unnecessary crap, not to mention the inflated prices and of course substandard products also!! They also deliberately work slowly to justify their time.

Let's face it, if you don't know what you need, they can sell you anything. Hence....education.

Changing a few sockets is as simple as it gets!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Weescottie wrote:Costakid, who did you use to replace your sockets...I want all mine done too..all working just a bit yellow looking.
If it is just the plastic which has yellowed then it is a simple job to do it yourself if you can buy the same make and model of your existing sockets.
To change the plastic part TURN OFF THE MAINS POWER, undo the small screw in the centre of the socket, pull off the plastic cover, replace with the new plastic cover, re inset the screw and turn on the power.
Job done.
If you can't get the same make and model then you need to replace the whole socket.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:22 pm

jhonie99 wrote:Doesn't anyone do household chores themselves?

I wouldn't leave a Spaniard near anything in my house. If I want something done, I do it myself.

Actually, _I've been doing a load of electrical work in recent times which would have cost hundreds otherwise.

With the internet it's so easy to educate ourselves. I've spent days reading about "electrics". It must have taken me weeks to finally work out that I needed "contactores" for a particular job. It gives me great pleasure to understand the problem and get a solution, etc. A Spaniard would have sold me a whole load of unnecessary crap, not to mention the inflated prices and of course substandard products also!! They also deliberately work slowly to justify their time.

Let's face it, if you don't know what you need, they can sell you anything. Hence....education.

Do you perform brain surgery in your spare time. Apparently it is quite easy.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:24 pm

gerryh wrote:
Weescottie wrote:Costakid, who did you use to replace your sockets...I want all mine done too..all working just a bit yellow looking.
If it is just the plastic which has yellowed then it is a simple job to do it yourself if you can buy the same make and model of your existing sockets.
To change the plastic part TURN OFF THE MAINS POWER, undo the small screw in the centre of the socket, pull off the plastic cover, replace with the new plastic cover, re inset the screw and turn on the power.
Job done.
If you can't get the same make and model then you need to replace the whole socket.
Cheers
Gerry
I agree but I had 2 burnt out ones so wanted an electrician to check it out. Also not everyone of a certain age can be on there knees on a marble floor for hours.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:56 pm

I’ve looked in ferreterias and ours are probably too old just for a straight swap. Might have to bite the bullet and go for full socket change, I’d like a couple added too so think makes sense to get a qualified man in and do all at once. I’m blind as a bat and handless so no danger of doing it myself.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:43 pm

That's a pretty bigoted view of the Spanish. I find them pretty fair and good workers.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:15 pm

I think most people agree with you.

I would treat his comments of those of a typical Internet troll and ignore them.

Sid