Pool help

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pool help

Postby bbobandannie » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Just moved into our new place and the pool water is incredibly cloudy. I checked the CL and ph. The CL is high the Ph low. Im using the simple liquid reagent tester and the ph is yellow, indicating below 6.8. Ive added several doeses of ph incrementor enough to raise it by nearly 2 decimals, still no change indicated.
Coincidentally before we moved in the pool was green, it was okay, just a little cloudy, nothing to concern, and there was an empty chlorine drum by the pool side. Im guessing he's over chlorinated it. Do i just keep adding incrememtor?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pool help

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Test kits that use liquid reagents are notoriously unreliable. Try to get one something like this:
Pool-Test-Kit-1.jpg
Check the levels then ask again if you still have problems.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Looks like my total Alkalinity is shot. Lady in Sotos Coin was great. Taking a sample to her and shes confident well sort it.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:30 am

So, now my water stats are all good. Ph,CL total alkalinity all good. However its still, chalky/milky/cloudy There's a white powder floating about that flies around when i vacum. When doing so the filter goes into the red. I then backwash and start again and about 20 minutes later i need to backwash again. Ive tried two flushes with "jolly gel" through the filter basket, no difference.
Any help appreciated.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:59 am

Are you vauuming to waste? Otherwise it will generally recirculate as the filter cannot take out all the miniscule particles.

Our little above ground pool gets white floaty bits form in it by the end of the season (which for us is short, barely 3 months) but we use our water to irrigate the garden over the winter then clean out the pool and refill in May/June ready for the summer. I've yet to discover what the white stuff is although I presume it's some kind of algae although the pool water is kept balanced and filtered whilst we're using it.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am

We used to get white deposits floating in our pool. These turned out to be from mealy bugs that infested the prickly pear all round our part of the Axarquia. treating the infestation was a thankless task as it grew wild everywhere - nothing short of aerial spraying would touch it. We ended up destroying the chumba, a difficult task, and treating the olianders that picked up the problem. Thankfully no such problems up here in Murcia, and we no longer have a pool.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:05 pm

We have cochenille beetles on all the chumbos here although this past year wasn't as bad as previous ones. We keep our pool covered all the time we're not using it though (which is for only a short time each day), so not sure if they could get in. Although it's bliss to get in on a hot August day, I must admit I wouldn't miss it much if we didn't have the pool as I find it too much work. We bought it mainly to be a deposito for emergencies in case the water ran out :) (which it has done on occasions).

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks ill try vacuuming to waste then.